GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

GS350 = GS460 in performance #'s ???

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-09, 04:53 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by 1QWKGS4
Mike.

Yes, the ISF is my preferred Lexus. I am getting one in the next year or so! But right now I'm trying to get out of my lease into a "Practical" Everyday car with power/economy mix.

I was just at Infinti for a nail in my tire today. Anyways, salesguy i knew came up and said, "You like V8's right?" I grin..

They had a '08 M45x just came in with 2200 miles.. He said you wana drive it - i said "Heck yea!" So off we go.. Man this car is powerful but a bit heavy in the front for the AWD system. But it a torque house car.. I'm loving it but i remember gas mileage was really bad on this car.. 14 city, 20 hwy. Combined maybe 15-16!! yikes!! Too rich for my blood.

They offered to sell it to me for $37K which is about 4K under trade-in value..!! I checked..and They knew how much my G35 was worth and gave good on mine about $500 over trade. I'm no impulse buyer - told them - i'll think about it (in my mind - I waiting until i drive the Lexuses.. hehe)

Seems like an awesome deal - but i have major reservations about the gas mileage on the M45x since my G35S is getting 19-20 combined when I'm in relax mode.. Scary!!!

Even though the deal was awesome - do you guys think i did the right thing waiting on the Lex ?? (I'm in a Lexus forum asking Lexus guys this) LOL
Well we live in the south, so AWD is just overkill and as you stated, already makes the M45x more of a gas guzzler it already is. Also the 5 speed auto just buzzes along at 70-85 MPH b/c well, it needs addiitonal gears. That would get old quick on the highway. I also find the car to have aged poorly from a style/exterior standpoint. I do like the interior (did they get rid of the orange gauges?) and it is clearly roomier than the GS, even with an optional rear TV. Out the box, the steering and handling are better than the GS. The engine is courser and the same 4.5 used in the Q45 since 2002, which means it has more than enough power. The M45 is more of a brute which a lot of people like.

I think its a nice car and clearly people love them and its done well in reviews but its not for me. I can't get over spending that much coin on something that shares so much parts with much cheaper cars. Great for their business but for me, it loses out on being special. I think the M45x is a great option that Infiniti offers for those that want a V-8 and want/need AWD like in the NE. Lexus clearly does not offer an AWD V-8. However looking at how its sold and how the market for V-8s has tanked, it now seems like a more efficient move by Lexus.

The 450h makes me feel "special" lol. I know its a worlds first, I know it has worlds firsts, I know nothing else is like it and its a very rare car, only 5,000 globally. I wanted to have better economy than my 430 but not sacrifice power when I needed it. I wanted a coupe feel as I don't need/desire a giant or bigger car (the M45 is bigger, the 550, new E, everything is getting huge, the GS 350/450h/460 is only 1 " longer than the GS 300/430) and well, its a "Lexus".

Now people might say "thats hogwash" but having owned them for geez, 13 years now I know how the brand works. I love the fit and finish, the sound system and the NAV is fine for me. I LOVE the titanium gauges, they just make the car feel EXPENSIVE since I look at it constantly. The M45 gauges are unforgivable for me. The way the steering wheel moves out the way as if to say "excuse me Mike". The ashtray and glovebox all open gently at the same speed (Lexus did this on purpose to provide harmony). I do like all the buttons I don't use away in the side panel. I like that the dash is angled towards me slightly like the 2GS and I love the flowing wood/leather on the door panels. I love the LEDs all around (that everyone is doing now) down to the license plate (which people are modding to do).

Its amazing how this car is a conversation piece based on its looks, then when people find out "its a hybrid" I walk away from my GS as I did my old GS and feel "it was worth every penny".

This is not to knock any other cars but when this car debuted, I knew I was going to have it. As with the IS-F And LF-A (got to sell a lot more crack for that one)

To be honest 350/450h/460 you cannot lose. If I was you, no joke, i would SERIOUSLY SERIOUSLY look at the "Passionate Black" interior package. Now that is rare and special.

http://lexusenthusiast.com/2009/05/0...lack-interior/

Last edited by LexFather; 05-20-09 at 04:59 PM.
Old 05-20-09, 04:58 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

^^ mike, my exact sentiments about the 450h! i think the next time i need to say something, i'll just cut and paste what you've written! lol!
Old 05-20-09, 05:34 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Stormforge
^^ mike, my exact sentiments about the 450h! i think the next time i need to say something, i'll just cut and paste what you've written! lol!
Thanks. I meant to say 5,000 globally a year, so x3 years, about 15,000 at the most but I doubt its that much. I would think about 11-12,000 produced.

I also forgot I am not head over heels over the 3GS styling like I was the 2GS but its classy and a nice evolution while extending forward with L-finesse. I've read the Maxima/Altima jabs before I bought it and it didn't deter me. With you and Henry, Mike, Reggie, I8aBMR, TriniGS, and other members modding the cars tastefully, it gives inspiration to us stock guys.
Old 05-20-09, 06:45 PM
KevGS460ML
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

To the others, I'd say you're letting Lexus marketing makes you think what the GS should be. As a consumer, we know what Lexus is good at - luxury, reliability, and efficiency as mentioned before.

After reading this thread i'm actually leaning towards the the 460 and 450. I'm looking forward to driving them..
Don - just one thing to keep in mind on your test drive of the 460. In trying to make the car as efficient as possible, Lexus programmed the tranny to upshift prematurely in the Normal mode. So, I'd switch it to the Power mode (switch below the armrest) before you start. Good luck.
Old 05-20-09, 07:58 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by KevGS460ML
To the others, I'd say you're letting Lexus marketing makes you think what the GS should be. As a consumer, we know what Lexus is good at - luxury, reliability, and efficiency as mentioned before.

Don - just one thing to keep in mind on your test drive of the 460. In trying to make the car as efficient as possible, Lexus programmed the tranny to upshift prematurely in the Normal mode. So, I'd switch it to the Power mode (switch below the armrest) before you start. Good luck.
Old 05-20-09, 10:16 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by KevGS460ML

well, when you are able to explain the "benefit" of gs460 342hp instead of 380hp that they have in the ls460, then we will see. until then, lexus fails in delivery the power of the engine in this car
Old 07-20-09, 11:16 AM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

I bought a Lexus! Pics will be up tonite!!!
........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................ I'm so excited!!!

Old 07-20-09, 11:53 AM
LexFather

I bought a Lexus! Pics will be up tonite!!!
........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................ I'm so excited!!!

Old 07-20-09, 12:25 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
+1;

Old 07-21-09, 03:10 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Sorry for the delay guys...i had along day yesterday.. anyways i pulled out my camera only to find the lcd on the camera was cracked (i see a white screen with 2 crack lines that were black) but the camera seem to turn on just fine. I went ahead and snap two pics for a test and see if it would come out. It worked!

Now, i started out looking for a GS350, GS460 or GS450 and/or Other Lex Sedans. I also looked at a couple of M45's. I drove a GS350 and GS450 (very nice), couldn't find a GS460 in the last two months until last week. The 460 was nice but it was a smokers car and when you opened the door it was very apparent. (I didn't drive her, in actually couldn't drive her!) Started looking around again.. and Found this... and couldn't resist!!

I know i'm in the wrong forum but she's '05 LS430 Ultra Pkg w/ 34K miles!!!

More pics to come in the LS Forum.. Thanks Everyone!

Old 07-21-09, 03:43 PM
LexFather

Sorry for the delay guys...i had along day yesterday.. anyways i pulled out my camera only to find the lcd on the camera was cracked (i see a white screen with 2 crack lines that were black) but the camera seem to turn on just fine. I went ahead and snap two pics for a test and see if it would come out. It worked!

Now, i started out looking for a GS350, GS460 or GS450 and/or Other Lex Sedans. I also looked at a couple of M45's. I drove a GS350 and GS450 (very nice), couldn't find a GS460 in the last two months until last week. The 460 was nice but it was a smokers car and when you opened the door it was very apparent. (I didn't drive her, in actually couldn't drive her!) Started looking around again.. and Found this... and couldn't resist!!

I know i'm in the wrong forum but she's '05 LS430 Ultra Pkg w/ 34K miles!!!

More pics to come in the LS Forum.. Thanks Everyone!

Congrats Don!! We have a growing Atlanta LS crew led by CL member Tee
Old 07-21-09, 11:01 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

The V8 will have more torque so its going to pick up speed on the high end better. I still think there is no reason for a V8..... at all
Old 07-22-09, 07:56 AM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Congrats Don!! We have a growing Atlanta LS crew led by CL member Tee

Thanks Mike!! Thats awesome, Hopefully, I'll be moving back to Atlanta within the next 6-8 months!

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
The V8 will have more torque so its going to pick up speed on the high end better. I still think there is no reason for a V8..... at all
Well, I kind of disagree, having owned (3) G35's and driven every 350 model in the luxury car class and I also own a 3.5L Honda Pilot. My Girlfriend has Mercedes C350 also. The 350 cars does have enough torque but IMO is kinda weak because you have to really kick it to get it to produce its power. The V8 was a huge deciding factor between the hybrid 450. Honestly, I still like the old-fashion torque better, easier to get going and effortless power on the high end. Considering I also own a very modded GS400.. It seemed like the logical choice especially when the gas mileage on the V8 LS430 is better than my G35 Sedan (car traded)..

Thanks for you opinion. I did think wisely on my decision.. While still owning my 2GS and 3 other Infiniti's in the last 5.5 years. I'm so glad I'm all lexus now..Now I have 2 babies, one daily and one for show.

Last edited by 1QWKGS4; 07-22-09 at 08:00 AM. Reason: mistakes
Old 07-22-09, 08:39 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

there is no replacement for displacement