GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Wheres that sub diy with all the pics?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-09, 12:53 PM
CashOverAs
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't want to get my hopes up but I thinkkkk I took care of this. When I got to work this morning, I ran to the drunk and the PAC unit did not appear to be radiating any heat. I need to test it just a bit longer to double check, but might be good.
What I did that may have helped solve the problem is I have the factory amp feeding into the PAC ANNND into the stock sub. You can not hear the stock sub because the aftermarket sub is so much louder, but technically the stock sub is taking away some of the power and hopefully it;s working good. It sounds good too. anddd, I had the chance to clean up a lot of stuff over the weekend, I got new speaker wire and rca cables. Looks clean. I will post pictures soon.
thanks for all the help drex.
Old 06-02-09, 12:43 PM
CashOverAs
Driver

Nevermind. Today when I got to work (half hour drive listening to music all the way up) I grabbed the unit and literally burned my finger. I'm out of ideas. maybe I need to try the sni-15 even though I was told the 35 is fine and even BETTER.
Old 06-02-09, 07:54 PM
DrexLex
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CashOverAs
Nevermind. Today when I got to work (half hour drive listening to music all the way up) I grabbed the unit and literally burned my finger. I'm out of ideas. maybe I need to try the sni-15 even though I was told the 35 is fine and even BETTER.
I don't suppose PAC povides a schematic of the circuit, but that would tell the story in an instant. You might ask them if they will give it to you.

There's no reason on Earth that a simple voltage divider has to dissipate so much heat. A 10k/1k resistor divider will dissipate a fraction of a watt.

What is the model of the amplifier you are using?
Old 06-04-09, 02:18 PM
CashOverAs
Driver

Honestly, the amp is a total P.O.S. its some cheap no name amp but I have had it for years. I had it in my old car with noooo problems. It's loud, and never gives me a hassle with anyone.
If there is ANY possible way that the amp could be causing the overheating of the PAC unit, then there is a good chance the amp could be the culprit. But I don't see how the amp would really have anything to do with it.
I really have no idea what I am talking about. That's why I asked a few posts ago if there was maybe a SETTING on the amp that could be causing this. Like the gain being up too high.
Old 06-04-09, 10:32 PM
DrexLex
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CashOverAs
Honestly, the amp is a total P.O.S. its some cheap no name amp but I have had it for years. I had it in my old car with noooo problems. It's loud, and never gives me a hassle with anyone.
If there is ANY possible way that the amp could be causing the overheating of the PAC unit, then there is a good chance the amp could be the culprit. But I don't see how the amp would really have anything to do with it.
I really have no idea what I am talking about. That's why I asked a few posts ago if there was maybe a SETTING on the amp that could be causing this. Like the gain being up too high.
Seems like the amp is at least working, and the LOC is the POS.

Is there any way you can open the PAC and take some pix? I'd like to know what's burning in there. Or are you taking it back to the dealer?