GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

08 GS350 -vs- 08 BMW 535i -vs- 08 MB E350

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-09, 06:57 AM
calviroman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 GS350 -vs- 08 BMW 535i -vs- 08 MB E350

Hi,

I am shopping for a new car to replace my 97 Lincoln Mark VIII. I am looking at midsize luxury sedans, and have pretty much narrowed it down to the three subject cars. My priorities are (in order):

1. Overall wow factor (do I get tingles inside every time I look at it, are coworkers shocked and awe'd when they see it in the parking lot, lots of complements and questions)
2. Overall cost (accounting for vehicle purchase price - resale, maintenance, fuel, insurance)
3. Ride & comfort: ride quality and noise isolation are very important to me. No sport packages with low profile tires or aftermarket exhausts - think quiet and smooth
4. Straightline performance: I'm not a canyon carver at all - but I do like to waste buddies at stoplights every chance I get. I would say minimum acceptable numbers would be a 1/4 mile trap speed in the very high 90's and a 0-60 time of no greater than 6 seconds flat.

I usually keep my cars for 10 years - and plan to do so with this purchase. My last 2 vehicles have been off 2 year leases - and then kept for 10 years. Because of this, long term maintenance costs are a big factor in the total cost.

I'm just looking for thoughts and input on this from owners well versed in the pro's and con's.

PS: Not interested in the 2006 GS430 (interior is just too dated for me) or the ES350 (front wheel drive is for girls)

Thanks,
Calvin

2003 Lincoln Navigator Ultimate 4X4
1997 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC
Old 05-30-09, 07:10 AM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. Wow factor, do you get tingles would be up to you to decide. We can't tell you if you will get tingles inside or not. We also can't tell you if your coworkers would be shocked and awe'd when they see your car in the parking lot, lots of complements and questions. You can certainly achieve that with a lot of vehicle though.

2. Overall cost over 10 years? Purchase price would certainly be more expensive for the European cars. Re-sale in 10 years? I have no clue but I would bet that the difference would be negligible. As far as maintenance, both MB and BMW include free maintenance for several years whereas Lexus does not. Do you want to go back to the Lexus dealership for maintenance over ten years or would you do it yourself? Or take it to another service center? As far as fuel economy, Lexus is more fuel efficient on paper.

3. Ride & comfort, that is for you to test drive and decide. I doubt many people have owned all three cars long enough to give you their own input. A car magazine might have done a comparison though.

4. Straight line performance, I believe the 535i has the most potential with its twin turbo engine. You can obtain their stock performance numbers by doing a search though. I believe the 535i is slightly faster than the GS350, both under six seconds 0-60MPH while the E350 is just a little bit slower at 6.5 seconds.

How about a 2008 GS460 or GS450h instead of GS350?
Old 05-30-09, 07:24 AM
tsavo
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

535i blows the Lexus away with interior and performance-as well as options.

E350 next.

Sadly, I would choose the Lexus last. IMO, it can't compete with the above 2, especially the BMW.
Old 05-30-09, 07:30 AM
jre002
Lexus Test Driver

1. Wow Factor: Benz still has the more clout over Lexus and BMW, IMO.

2. Overall cost: Lexus will be the most reliable and cheapest to maintain. Be especially careful with the 535, as it has twin-turbos. I like turbos as much as anyone else, but having owned turbo cars, they can be a beast to maintain long-term.

3. Ride & Comfort: 3GS has the most comfortable ride. 5 Series has the sportiest. E-Class has great comfort and sporting ride, but not as comfortable as the GS nor sporty as the 5.

4. Straight line performance: What Yang said.
Old 05-30-09, 07:31 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by calviroman
Hi,

I am shopping for a new car to replace my 97 Lincoln Mark VIII. I am looking at midsize luxury sedans, and have pretty much narrowed it down to the three subject cars. My priorities are (in order):

1. Overall wow factor (do I get tingles inside every time I look at it, are coworkers shocked and awe'd when they see it in the parking lot, lots of complements and questions)
1. The Benz grill has the biggest "wow" for other people. The BMW is again a BMW. Lexus amazingly has joined those ranks of "wow" cars. The E class and GS styling make me "tingle".
2. Overall cost (accounting for vehicle purchase price - resale, maintenance, fuel, insurance)
If you plan to keep your car 10 years, nothing will beat the GS. Historically they are the most reliable cars. THe rule of thumb is buy new German, buy used Japanese. The GS and BMW will be the most fuel efficient. Some people are saying they get 30 MPG highway with the GS 350.
3. Ride & comfort: ride quality and noise isolation are very important to me. No sport packages with low profile tires or aftermarket exhausts - think quiet and smooth
The E and GS will have the smoothest ride. The GS will be the quietest but none are loud. The GS is a car that really caters to making the drivers life "easier".
4. Straightline performance: I'm not a canyon carver at all - but I do like to waste buddies at stoplights every chance I get. I would say minimum acceptable numbers would be a 1/4 mile trap speed in the very high 90's and a 0-60 time of no greater than 6 seconds flat.
The E 350 lags far behind the GS 350 and 535. The GS and 535 are even pretty much in acceleration. Both are sub 6 second cars with low quarter mile times.

I usually keep my cars for 10 years - and plan to do so with this purchase. My last 2 vehicles have been off 2 year leases - and then kept for 10 years. Because of this, long term maintenance costs are a big factor in the total cost.

I'm just looking for thoughts and input on this from owners well versed in the pro's and con's.

PS: Not interested in the 2006 GS430 (interior is just too dated for me) or the ES350 (front wheel drive is for girls)

Thanks,
Calvin

Welcome to Clublexus. My answers are in bold
Old 05-30-09, 07:35 AM
jre002
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tsavo
535i blows the Lexus away with interior and performance-as well as options.
Wow, I can't stand the 5 Series interior. It's so bland compared to the GS and E-Class. Just my opinion though.
Old 05-30-09, 07:50 AM
AJL0365
Lexus Test Driver

I would say the GS, not just because im a huge GS fan, but everyone and their seconf cousin has either a 5 or a E, While all three are beautiful cars, I feel that the E looks pretty dated, but still turns my head when I see one, especially with the AMG kit, and the 5 is too dated looking, but the refresh does I think make it look better, looks even better when 550i trim with the wheels and the front and rear bumper. I think the GS sturrs emotions when I see it, it just to me looks fluid and sexy, and plus there are not too many on the road, at lease here in Charlotte NC. If you do get a GS, I would say 09 because the Black Passionate Interior with the Black and Red inserts in the seats and the Red carpet and Black mats are something to look at! You truely have to see it in person to really appriciate it! It I think gives the GS another reason to buy because what other car luxury car maker gives you that choice in an interior?
Old 05-30-09, 08:00 AM
gsCrazy
Lead Lap

get a jaguar xf
Old 05-30-09, 08:06 AM
maying856
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

or the ES350 (front wheel drive is for girls)

Thanks,
Calvin

I'd narrow it down to the 5 or the GS. But personally I like the interior and exterior styling of the GS A LOT more. But that's just me.

And if you think that FWD is for girls then you have some man ego issues to resolve first before you buy a new car
Old 05-30-09, 08:17 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Hi,

Thanks,
Calvin

Calvin,

Before I give you my answers, I figured that I would throw in some words of wisdom. To place other's views of your car as first on your priorities list, I think you might be better off getting a used Mercedes AMG of some type, or a late 90s Ferrari or Lamborghini or something. Maybe a Porsche, too. It seems a little petty to place other peoples opinions as first on your priority list.

None the less,

1. Here E class and 5 series are about as common as a Camry or a Corolla. They are literally EVERYWHERE. There are probably less than 25% as many GSs as there are the other two, so if you are looking for something rare and exclusive then I would give this to the GS.

2. Lexus. Hands down.

3. Lexus or Mercedes.

4. Lexus or BMW- both do 0-60 in around 5.5 seconds or so. The Mercedes is about two seconds later.

The 2006 GS interior is virtually identical to the 2008 model you're looking at. The center of the steering wheel and the shift gate surround are marginally different. You probably wouldn't have noticed if I didn't say anything about it. Essentially, what I am saying is that if you think the interior of the 2006 GS is dated then you will be equally disappointed with your 08.
Old 05-30-09, 12:57 PM
calviroman
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all of the replies. I made a typo in my original post near the bottom -- meant to say that I was not interested in a 2006 or older LS430 (not a GS430).

I have up to now always done vehicle maintenance and repair at home. In fact I've only taken a vehicle to a dealer/mechanic one time for non-warrantee or post-warrantee work (my Navigator needed a calibration of its stability control system). I understand that with any of the subject vehicles I will likely need to use dealers for diagnostic work at the least.

I appreciate all of the inputs and will post pics of the decision when it happens.

PS - to the one who suggested a Jag XF - I think they are great and would be all over it, however it is currently a bit out of my budget. They were new for 2009, so the very few used ones are still well into the high $40's. My budget (keep in mind I'm looking at cars that are 18-24 months old) is only about $38K +TTL.

Thanks,
Calvin
Old 05-30-09, 01:31 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

If you want to keep it for 10 years, the GS should be your only choice.

My choices:

1)GS - styling is modern and should hold up well over time. Plus it will not get a redesign for another 3-4 years. Performance is decent, handling sucks but can be improved, try to get a CPO. Color choices are very limited, hard to find GS350 with NAV at least in NYC.

2)535I - Looks weird stock but decent once modded. Drives incredible. Interior while plain, is very comfortable esp the seats. New model will be out next year. Reliability with N54 is bad - search HPFP issue. Otherwise the 5 series is still hard to beat. Easier to find good used ones since 5 Series outsells the GS by a huge margin.

3)E350 - looks very dated......I was never a big fan of its styling unless it has AMG package. New model is coming later this year. In NYC E class has ZERO wow factor, they are on every corner. MB reliability is not good, it will cost a lot to keep for 10 YEARS.

I would consider a new HYUNDAI GENESIS in ur price range.....but wow factor is not too high.

BTW For 10yr old cars, just compare a 1999 GS3/400 reliability to 99 528/530/540i and 99 Eclass.......The GS has been way more reliable and cheaper to maintain. Things have not changed too much.
Old 05-30-09, 01:43 PM
calviroman
Driver School Candidate

Thanks - I spent several hours researching 535i's and the fuel delivery issues that have plagued them. It seems like the most current revision of the HPFP did cure the symptoms the owners were having.

I could consider a 550i -- but have a feeling that 10+ years from now selling a V8 powered vehicle may be more of a givaway. The 535i gives you 95% of the performance for about $5-7K less (used). Nevertheless, the 550i is an awesome car and an outstanding choice if your budget allows.

It seems the GS likely has a significant cost savings in maintenance over a 10 year period -- and ultimately may be enough to sway me that way.

Thanks again
Old 05-30-09, 06:15 PM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Wow factor with a budget of 38 grand... I'd get a used M5 or AMG. For real.
Old 05-31-09, 05:37 PM
tsavo
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jre002
Wow, I can't stand the 5 Series interior. It's so bland compared to the GS and E-Class. Just my opinion though.
Really? The Lexus has too much plastic wood grain, something I'm hoping they will improve upon, and the seats in the Lexus are too flat and unstylish. It could use some work.

Versus

Quick Reply: 08 GS350 -vs- 08 BMW 535i -vs- 08 MB E350