GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Caliper paint....what about clear coat?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-09, 06:18 PM
DCNASER
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Caliper paint....what about clear coat?

None of the paint shops I talked to want to paint the stupid calipers, so I guess I am going to let my cousin who works in a shop with a lift and thank God he is handy and has done some stuff like that. He is across town but I can't find anyone else to do it.. One thing, I know many have recommended the 3M?? Or something like that. Is it usually available in local parts shops? What about the clear coat? I saw that it was a can of spray, black for example. Is one can enough for all? I need to have the Lexus stickers on, don't I need to spray a clear coat on it after I paint it? Also, does it matter if I install my new rotors and brakes first or paint first?
Old 06-11-09, 06:53 PM
vuiskool
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

paint it urself in ur garage. I think you let a coat of clear go over the lexus once and u put a few more coats of clear on top of it.
Old 06-11-09, 07:16 PM
DCNASER
Pole Position

I don't have a garage and I am a female. I wish I knew how to do it, but luckily I have some one who can do it for me but I need the right info because he can do things but he never done this before. Do you receive a clear coat can or something with the kit?
Old 06-11-09, 08:21 PM
vietdeluxx
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I painted my calipers with G2 brake caliper paint (black). I got it from ebay. After the calipers dried, I put on the Lexus decals, and then I sprayed some clear coat on afterwards.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BLACK...Q5fAccessories

Quick and easy alternative for people how don't have/want to spend 4k on BBK. Eventually I want to get a BKK... its sexy
Old 06-11-09, 08:26 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I too used the G2 kit. I got my from TireRack.com. Took a couple of hours but it looks good. The kit comes with everything you need. You just have to jack up the car and take the wheels off. Put on caliper stickers as well, but no clear coat.

steviej
Old 06-11-09, 08:27 PM
habeeb89
Lexus Test Driver

I've painted my calipers and it's been a while, they have been through a Chicago winter too without a clear-coat and so far the paint is holding on fine. I used a can of Dupli-Color Caliper Paint from Autozone.
Old 06-11-09, 08:31 PM
DCNASER
Pole Position

Does the clear coat spray comes with it? It doesn't specifically say it but it may. I just thought I ask. Also, does it show that it is brushed?
Old 06-11-09, 08:36 PM
vietdeluxx
Lexus Champion

Clear coat is not included... I bought the clear coat spray at walmart.. I think it was about 2 or 3 bucks...
Old 06-11-09, 08:48 PM
DCNASER
Pole Position

Hmmmm. Any particular type? Do you have any pics of your calipers?
Old 06-11-09, 08:56 PM
LIMS407
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DCNASER
I don't have a garage and I am a female. I wish I knew how to do it, but luckily I have some one who can do it for me but I need the right info because he can do things but he never done this before. Do you receive a clear coat can or something with the kit?
damn i wish my girl was into car like you everytime i do somethin to my car my girl goes crazy talkin about she needs new shoes haha
Old 06-11-09, 09:04 PM
Wunko
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The shop I talked to said they don't put on decals on calipers but they said they'd paint any logo I want on it. HEH.
Old 06-11-09, 09:12 PM
1STLXS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by lims407
damn i wish my girl was into car like you everytime i do somethin to my car my girl goes crazy talkin about she needs new shoes haha
Lims,
Know what you mean, mine is keeping a running total on what I spend and says that is her shopping budget

RG
Old 06-11-09, 09:20 PM
1STLXS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

DC,
I purchased my caliper kit from PepBoys. One can of paint was enough for me. I have included pics of the caliper painted. I did not use a clear coat. Later on I may put the lexus decal on them but chose not to at the time (cuz i didn't have a decal at the time).

I painted mine in place which was tedious others may have removed the entire caliper which does make it easier and faster (lol).

Hope this helps!

RG
Attached Thumbnails Caliper paint....what about clear coat?-100_2241.jpg   Caliper paint....what about clear coat?-102_2613.jpg  
Old 06-11-09, 09:21 PM
slvrboolet
Lexus Champion

Go to a auto parts store they have high temp, primer, paint and clear coat. THe primer might be overkill but i wanted it to last so i bought it. You might also need some brake cleaner to first clean the caliper then apply paint, primer etc. THe spray yields better result than the paint brush imo but you have to take teh caliper off or tape everything off. If you get the g2 you could paint the caliper while its still on just take your tire off and paint away. I didnt use any clear coat the first time and it last quite awhile.
Old 06-11-09, 09:56 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ers-red-2.html

read post 43 and also my subsequent posts. i have posted all the details there. that's all the info you need. painted calipers on my gs400 back in 2002, 7 yrs later they are still like new

Quick Reply: Caliper paint....what about clear coat?