GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

To You Mr. Lexus Emblem Maker...

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-09, 08:34 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Angry To You Mr. Lexus Emblem Maker...

I would like to thank you for taking the time and money to provide us with little dimples on our trunk lids and nubs on the emblems so any idiot can line up a ****ing letter. No longer will a ruler nor line be needed when setting lexus emblems. Thank you for now forcing me to keep the emblems on my car or be forced to drive around with holes in my trunk.

/rant
Old 06-19-09, 08:55 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

It is at the option of the owner to remove them however Lexus didn't design their cars just to appease a fraction of a percent out there.
Old 06-19-09, 09:01 AM
spine911
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
Thank you for now forcing me to keep the emblems on my car or be forced to drive around with holes in my trunk.

/rant
LOL, rant taken....this was a lesson for me as well.
Old 06-19-09, 09:06 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by flipside909
It is at the option of the owner to remove them however Lexus didn't design their cars just to appease a fraction of a percent out there.
understood but that wasnt the point. point is, it doesnt take a genius to line up some letters and numbers. all my other cars never had holes behind them. i prefer to shave the emblems but with the nubs on them, ill leave them on. not worth the aggravation
Old 06-19-09, 09:13 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

understood but that wasnt the point. point is, it doesnt take a genius to line up some letters and numbers. all my other cars never had holes behind them. i prefer to shave the emblems but with the nubs on them, ill leave them on. not worth the aggravation
Sure that maybe true but Lexus is about the Pursuit of Perfection. Precision and attention to detail is key. Not everyone rolls debadged.

Just curious, what are/were your other cars?
Old 06-19-09, 09:13 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

if it bothers you that much, get a bodyshop to fill the nubs in and repaint the trunk. problem solved!
Old 06-19-09, 09:17 AM
beez43
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so i take it that we cant shave the lexus name emblem along with the model number?
Old 06-19-09, 09:20 AM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's not about the ability to line up letters, it all comes down to cutting the cost of manufacturing. I suspect some "smart guy" revised the process in order to save money. We won't probably find out exactly what that new process does and why it's cheaper, but the key focus of any factory is to improve quality, reduce cost and do it faster.

That's the only logic I could put to this.
Old 06-19-09, 09:24 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by flipside909
Sure that maybe true but Lexus is about the Pursuit of Perfection. Precision and attention to detail is key. Not everyone rolls debadged.

Just curious, what are/were your other cars?
a few gm cars, mainly cheap econo j bodies
Originally Posted by Stormforge
if it bothers you that much, get a bodyshop to fill the nubs in and repaint the trunk. problem solved!
very true but after my last experience at the body shop, id rather not go that route. leaving it on is ok with me. it was just a preference thing

Originally Posted by beez43
so i take it that we cant shave the lexus name emblem along with the model number?
well i was able to shave off the AWD letters no problem. i then started to shave off the last 0 on 300 and thats when i realized it wasnt going to work lol.

Originally Posted by RMMGS4
It's not about the ability to line up letters, it all comes down to cutting the cost of manufacturing. I suspect some "smart guy" revised the process in order to save money. We won't probably find out exactly what that new process does and why it's cheaper, but the key focus of any factory is to improve quality, reduce cost and do it faster.

That's the only logic I could put to this.
but your adding extra work by adding these dimples in the lids. granted its probably just a small automated punch that creates it though.
Old 06-19-09, 09:31 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

a few gm cars, mainly cheap econo j bodies

but your adding extra work by adding these dimples in the lids. granted its probably just a small automated punch that creates it though.
Haha that is the difference, this is a Lexus. It's a luxury car line.

The rear license plate garnish assy (the plastic part your emblems are affixed to) is molded plastic. The hole is most likely designed into the mold.
Old 06-19-09, 09:32 AM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Additional process steps, added process time all cost more $$. Whatever their methodology, it has to have a cost savings as the end result.

The dimples would not be a separate automated punch process. It would be stamped into the sheetmetal at the same time that the metal part is formed in the press. So no additional time or process steps.
Old 06-19-09, 09:47 AM
vuiskool
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Again, only thing stopping me from debadging the 350
Old 06-19-09, 09:53 AM
J0hnP
Driver

Real men of Genius,
Today we Salute You Mr. Lexus Emblem Maker,
Mr. Lexus Emblem Maaaker!!!

For real though, Completely understand
Old 06-19-09, 10:13 AM
G2GS
Pole Position

^^

LOL...had to start singing along!
Old 06-19-09, 10:20 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Why would you want to take off the Lexus badge, you want your GS to look like a Genesis with no hyundai badge?

Quick Reply: To You Mr. Lexus Emblem Maker...