GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460
View Poll Results: For handling what would be better?
Sway Bars alone will DEFINITELY out handle a slammed GS
61.54%
A slammed GS will DEFINITELY out handle a GS with sway bars
7.69%
Sway bars would SLIGHTLY out handle a slammed GS
30.77%
A slammed GS will SLIGHTLY out handle a GS with sway bars
0%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Sway Bar VS Drop (slammed)

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-09, 07:16 PM
Batmobile
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Sway Bar VS Drop (slammed)

Curious to know... what you guys think?

Best for handling and if it's worth it...

This is not based on looks of the car... strictly referring to performance/handling

Last edited by Batmobile; 06-22-09 at 07:22 PM.
Old 06-22-09, 08:32 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

hmm...what u up to jimmy.
Old 06-22-09, 08:37 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

you realize a slammed car doesn't really give you much handling advantage right? sway bars will give you far better handling improvement than lowering any day.
Old 06-22-09, 09:23 PM
LexFather

There are so many variables here but for the most part Henry is right. What do you mean by a "slammed" GS? For instance you can lower a car with stock spring rates, it won't handle much better compared to say coilovers that are designed to help the car handle better.

It also depends on the sways. Toms vs F-sport and not sure of the differences.

Decent explanation here on what sways do....
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question432.htm
Old 06-22-09, 09:34 PM
jre002
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rominl
you realize a slammed car doesn't really give you much handling advantage right? sway bars will give you far better handling improvement than lowering any day.
I would say it depends on what the OP meant by "slamming". Is he saying cutting the springs, airbags, springs & struts, coilovers? Is he talking about lowering the car using engineering principles, or just dropping the car as low as possible? With a properly engineered spring and strut combo or coilovers there can be a very significant handling improvement. Sway bars also have a big impact on handling if properly engineered, but like anything else it all depends on the way they are engineered.

Tires are an often neglected part of the handling conversation. IMO. I wonder why people never talk about tires when they are thinking to make a first modification to improve handling.
Old 06-22-09, 09:37 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by jre002

Tires are an often neglected part of the handling conversation. IMO. I wonder why people never talk about tires when they are thinking to make a first modification to improve handling.
, best way to improve handling right away is top notch tires.....great post.
Old 06-22-09, 09:50 PM
memasterac
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why a SLAMMED car improves handling? None sense.
Old 06-22-09, 09:54 PM
Batmobile
Pole Position

Sorry guys... let me elaborate a bit... i should have thought of these scenarios while posting...

let's say coilovers with adjustable dampening system slammed to the ground

and when i say handling i am referring to lessening the body roll let's say during an on or off-ramp

Originally Posted by rominl
really? when i had my IS350 slammed to the ground it "felt" like it stuck pretty tight to the roads.

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
There are so many variables here but for the most part Henry is right. What do you mean by a "slammed" GS? For instance you can lower a car with stock spring rates, it won't handle much better compared to say coilovers that are designed to help the car handle better.

It also depends on the sways. Toms vs F-sport and not sure of the differences.

Decent explanation here on what sways do....
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question432.htm
thank you for that

Originally Posted by jre002
I would say it depends on what the OP meant by "slamming". Is he saying cutting the springs, airbags, springs & struts, coilovers? Is he talking about lowering the car using engineering principles, or just dropping the car as low as possible? With a properly engineered spring and strut combo or coilovers there can be a very significant handling improvement. Sway bars also have a big impact on handling if properly engineered, but like anything else it all depends on the way they are engineered.

+2 great post.
Old 06-22-09, 10:20 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Batmobile
Sorry guys... let me elaborate a bit... i should have thought of these scenarios while posting...

let's say coilovers with adjustable dampening system slammed to the ground

and when i say handling i am referring to lessening the body roll let's say during an on or off-ramp

really? when i had my IS350 slammed to the ground it "felt" like it stuck pretty tight to the roads.

thank you for that

+2 great post.
Thanks for clarifying....Well I'll give my 2 cents based on my 2 GS modding as I've went all ways with suspension mods..
Stock with stock tires-Average performance not bad but to me and Henry our 3GS handles like a 2 GS with TRD sways. Its a better handling car.
Stock plus good tires-improve handling, very noticable, mostly you have more grip and don't lose traction.
Sways no springs/shocks. Handles better in corners I mean night and day difference on freeway ramps, much less lean. THing is the car does feel like its on "Tippy Toes" at high speeds (twice the limit) as you are not leaning as much but you still have a lot of room for the car to compress with teh stock shocks. Think of it like a 7 foot point guard with great sneakers checking a 6 foot guard. Think oversteer.
No Sways springs/shocks, less compression in corners and the car feels more aggresive in corners b/c its lower. The car still sways though. You will find yourself in a GS going faster than you should. Think understeer. I was dumped 2 inches
Sways Springs/Shocks- great combo, now you can go into corners at a faster speed with a lower center of gravity. Myself and a 540 driver (we swapped cars in an aggresive driving area) found the GS handled better than the 540 with those mods, more capable in corners. (what sucked was the damn steering).
Sways/Coils-Not my car bitkahuna's car and by far a clear step over my modded GS. Super confidence inspiring and you are really going into corners at highly illegal speeds. The Tein coils and EDFC really turned the car into a handling monster. If you are truly serious, you HAVE to go with Coils> springs. Adjustable, built truly for sport and built as a PACKAGE. THat is one huge advantage of Coils.

All in all sways IMO give the handling advantage if I was going to do one over the other IN the 2GS. I am curious how this will all work with the 3GS My findings can be all wrong for a different vehicle.

Let me get back to the tires post
WIth all that said I was a newb and young and cheaped out on tires. So I was adding all these suspension mods and putting some damn Payless Shoe tires on my car (Kumho basics, cheap Yokohoma etc)...

When I stepped into my Goodyear Eagle F1s....OMG, the difference was immense...Those tires took my car with the same suspension mods to ANOTHER LEVEL of grip wet and dry.

Tires Tires Tires!!!
Old 06-22-09, 11:06 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I have the Tein CST with the EDFC and I am REALLY looking forward to getting the F sport sway bars and maybe the intake. I am hoping it will liven up the cars. Over all the GS does handle well but will roll in the high speed sweepers and sharp turns
Old 06-23-09, 02:44 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

do both
Old 06-23-09, 03:39 PM
Batmobile
Pole Position

thanks guys... looks like sways win... which is what i thought i just needed to confirm.

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Thanks for clarifying....Well I'll give my 2 cents based on my 2 GS modding as I've went all ways with suspension mods..
Stock with stock tires-Average performance not bad but to me and Henry our 3GS handles like a 2 GS with TRD sways. Its a better handling car.
Stock plus good tires-improve handling, very noticable, mostly you have more grip and don't lose traction.
Sways no springs/shocks. Handles better in corners I mean night and day difference on freeway ramps, much less lean. THing is the car does feel like its on "Tippy Toes" at high speeds (twice the limit) as you are not leaning as much but you still have a lot of room for the car to compress with teh stock shocks. Think of it like a 7 foot point guard with great sneakers checking a 6 foot guard. Think oversteer.
No Sways springs/shocks, less compression in corners and the car feels more aggresive in corners b/c its lower. The car still sways though. You will find yourself in a GS going faster than you should. Think understeer. I was dumped 2 inches
Sways Springs/Shocks- great combo, now you can go into corners at a faster speed with a lower center of gravity. Myself and a 540 driver (we swapped cars in an aggresive driving area) found the GS handled better than the 540 with those mods, more capable in corners. (what sucked was the damn steering).
Sways/Coils-Not my car bitkahuna's car and by far a clear step over my modded GS. Super confidence inspiring and you are really going into corners at highly illegal speeds. The Tein coils and EDFC really turned the car into a handling monster. If you are truly serious, you HAVE to go with Coils> springs. Adjustable, built truly for sport and built as a PACKAGE. THat is one huge advantage of Coils.

All in all sways IMO give the handling advantage if I was going to do one over the other IN the 2GS. I am curious how this will all work with the 3GS My findings can be all wrong for a different vehicle.

Let me get back to the tires post
WIth all that said I was a newb and young and cheaped out on tires. So I was adding all these suspension mods and putting some damn Payless Shoe tires on my car (Kumho basics, cheap Yokohoma etc)...

When I stepped into my Goodyear Eagle F1s....OMG, the difference was immense...Those tires took my car with the same suspension mods to ANOTHER LEVEL of grip wet and dry.

Tires Tires Tires!!!

thank you... very insightful.
Old 06-23-09, 05:33 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^ did you get a GS also??

whats new?
Old 06-23-09, 08:57 PM
Batmobile
Pole Position