GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Transmission SPORT mode and SPORT switch

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-09, 11:13 AM
gridlock13
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Transmission SPORT mode and SPORT switch

I know putting the gear lever in "SPORT" mode makes the transmission shift at higher points but what about the "SPORT" switch under the arm rest? Does it make the transmission shift at higher points? What's the difference between the two?
Old 06-26-09, 11:18 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

The gear level is for manual shift, not sports mode.
Old 06-26-09, 11:21 AM
gridlock13
Lead Lap

I know you can shift manually with the lever but in the manual it says that if you just tap it to the left and leave it there it shifts on it's own (when the little digit readout above the "S" on the gauges reads "S" not "5"). It's when you upshift/downshift that the gear changes need to be done manually.
Old 06-26-09, 11:24 AM
Vic Nyce
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

on my 2G sport mode makes the transmission kickdown with less effort. it also seems to make the throttle more responsive on top of holding the gear longer while accelerating.
Old 06-26-09, 12:01 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

manual shifting is a joke.

the sport switch puts the car in sport mode, which makes it shift at higher rpm.

there is no "transmission sport" mode. it's called manual mode.
Old 06-26-09, 12:27 PM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think you are referring to the ECT PWR, that like everyone has already mentioned delayed the shifting point and makes it more responsive

on the v8/hybrid model, we have the "SPORT" button which is the active dampening system to tighten up the suspension

when you push the lever to the left, it goes into manual shifting mode, you have to shift it yourself.
Old 06-26-09, 01:49 PM
Vic Nyce
Lead Lap

doh whlkev is right i meant ECT PWR. where the hell was my head.
Old 06-27-09, 01:23 AM
gridlock13
Lead Lap

ah yes. my mistake. i meant the ECT POWER switch under the armrest. not SPORT switch. so they both do the same thing? cuz i know when u just slide the gear shift to the left and leave it there it'll shift on it's own until you upshift/downshift.

i guess what i'm asking is if turning on the ECT POWER and leaving the gear shift in S is the same thing? like, if putting the shift lever into S then turning the ECT POWER on doesn't do anything more, and vice versa.
Old 06-27-09, 07:03 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

it makes the engine shift at higher rpm, but also makes the throttle more sensitive so that the car down gears more readily
Old 06-27-09, 10:56 PM
lauh1984
Driver School Candidate

believe me, that "S" you see is really "5" the reason why it's still shifting on its own is that on the GS and IS, that "5" means that the transmission is selecting between the first 5 gears. if it is reading 3, then the transmission is from gear 1 to 2 to 3 and that's it. if it is 6, then it's running 1 to 2 to 3 to 4 to 5 to 6. lexus has a weird way of using this manual mode thing. on my infiniti, when it says i'm in 7, then i'm cruising in 7th gear and when i stop it'll come back to 1. but on the lexus i could be cruising at 6, then come to a stop, and it'll still say 6, obviously when i accelerate, the car starts off at 1 and shifts its way back to 6.
Old 06-30-09, 12:49 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by gridlock13
ah yes. my mistake. i meant the ECT POWER switch under the armrest. not SPORT switch. so they both do the same thing? cuz i know when u just slide the gear shift to the left and leave it there it'll shift on it's own until you upshift/downshift.

i guess what i'm asking is if turning on the ECT POWER and leaving the gear shift in S is the same thing? like, if putting the shift lever into S then turning the ECT POWER on doesn't do anything more, and vice versa.
When u just slide the gear shift to the left and leave it there, the computer will shift up on it's own to protect the engine from red lining. You do not want to run the engine that way.
Old 06-30-09, 01:41 PM
ekc
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lauh1984
believe me, that "S" you see is really "5" the reason why it's still shifting on its own is that on the GS and IS, that "5" means that the transmission is selecting between the first 5 gears. if it is reading 3, then the transmission is from gear 1 to 2 to 3 and that's it. if it is 6, then it's running 1 to 2 to 3 to 4 to 5 to 6. lexus has a weird way of using this manual mode thing. on my infiniti, when it says i'm in 7, then i'm cruising in 7th gear and when i stop it'll come back to 1. but on the lexus i could be cruising at 6, then come to a stop, and it'll still say 6, obviously when i accelerate, the car starts off at 1 and shifts its way back to 6.
Yup. What he says.

Try it yourself. Shift it down to 3 at a stop light. The car will start off at gear 1 and stop upshifting at gear 3, no matter if you're driving 40, 50, or 60.

You probably thought 5 is S because you weren't driving at a speed where the 6th gear makes a difference.
Old 06-30-09, 01:47 PM
gridlock13
Lead Lap

nah actually i thought it was "5" too until i was reading the manual. i swore the manual said it was supposed to be "S"...oh well. and thanks all for the clarification!
Old 06-30-09, 02:33 PM
LexFather

The Power button makes the engine more responsive to inputs from the throttle. In other words when u push the gas pedal in power, it will react more quickly than if it was in normal. As stated it also will keep the revs higher as that is where peak HP is.

To me its a noticeable difference in throttle response, especially with the CVT 450h.

I really miss the e-shift in my GS 400 and I love the paddles in the IS. Lexus should have gave the GS paddles. If its an auto and you want to shift, I would rather shift with hands on/near the wheel (paddles) than one hand on the steering wheel and one on the shifter. Its not like its a manual.
Old 06-30-09, 02:56 PM
vuiskool
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The Power button makes the engine more responsive to inputs from the throttle. In other words when u push the gas pedal in power, it will react more quickly than if it was in normal. As stated it also will keep the revs higher as that is where peak HP is.

To me its a noticeable difference in throttle response, especially with the CVT 450h.

I really miss the e-shift in my GS 400 and I love the paddles in the IS. Lexus should have gave the GS paddles. If its an auto and you want to shift, I would rather shift with hands on/near the wheel (paddles) than one hand on the steering wheel and one on the shifter. Its not like its a manual.
I wish we had paddles like the is.

Quick Reply: Transmission SPORT mode and SPORT switch