GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Performance in deep snow

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-09, 04:09 AM
Gs350Lola
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

suv is safer
Old 07-08-09, 05:53 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by vladbph
What's important is center of gravity in this case.
I often hear car salesman talk about center of gravity when they are trying to sell a AWD sedan. Just how fast would you need to be going in the snow for the center of gravity to make a difference. Call me carzy, but even in a SUV like the GX, I usually take it easy in the snow.
Old 07-08-09, 07:36 AM
akfd
Pole Position

^ LOL, I don't plan on doing any rally racing in deep snow!!

I'll have time later next week, so I'll head to my local dealer to try the cars out. The problem with the GX is that the car might be a little difficult to get in, since the ride height is higher than the GS. I have to take a person that has an arthritic knee, so walking might be a problem for her, let alone getting into a truck. If she can't get into and out of the GX without problems, then I'm going to get the GS for sure.
Old 07-08-09, 09:04 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexzam
No doubt GX is better in truly deep snow than GS. I thought the question is nonetheless, whether GS AWD can handle normal wintery conditions including quite heavy snowfall. As long as the ground clearance is sufficient, new powder snow should not make driving too bad at all. If there is deepish wet snow the rather wide tires of GS make it s bit more difficult to drive, but an AWD GS should still do ok.

Unless, if akfd lives along a private road, which is not ploughed or even driven through by others, the GS AWD should do the job. Even a RWD car is ok most of the time in winter as log as it is fitted with excellent winter tires. In Northern Europe Mercedes C and E class are probably the most common taxis (there are quite a many Volvos as well). The Mercedes are 99% as RWD (diesel) versions. The majority of them are equipped with non-studded winter tires for the winter months.

Btw, are studded tires legal in BC? For the icy roads they would provide a far superior grip. On snow, however, non-studded tires are very comparable.
studded tires are illegal in major metropolitan areas, not sure about rural areas that are further up north (ie: less snow plowing provided by the provincial or municipal gov't).
Old 07-08-09, 11:19 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by akfd
^ LOL, I don't plan on doing any rally racing in deep snow!!

I'll have time later next week, so I'll head to my local dealer to try the cars out. The problem with the GX is that the car might be a little difficult to get in, since the ride height is higher than the GS. I have to take a person that has an arthritic knee, so walking might be a problem for her, let alone getting into a truck. If she can't get into and out of the GX without problems, then I'm going to get the GS for sure.
I have knee problems from time to time, I can tell you that when my knees are acting up, it is just as hard to get into the GX as it is the GS. The GS is much lower and I have to bent my knees to get in. Perhaps you should consider a RX350, its the perfect height, but then its your car, I would not buy a car for somone's else sake.
Old 07-08-09, 04:09 PM
akfd
Pole Position

Originally Posted by The G Man
I have knee problems from time to time, I can tell you that when my knees are acting up, it is just as hard to get into the GX as it is the GS. The GS is much lower and I have to bent my knees to get in. Perhaps you should consider a RX350, its the perfect height, but then its your car, I would not buy a car for somone's else sake.
I've tried the new RX a while back, but unfortunately there wasn't enough legroom for me to sit comfortably. I'm 6'1" and my knees are hitting the front, but if I move the chair too far back to make my legs fit, my arms can't reach the steering wheel. The GS fits me better, and I like it better than a SUV too, but I just don't want to get stuck in the snow for 3-4 hours.
Old 07-08-09, 05:34 PM
LIMS407
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

get a hummer....
Old 07-08-09, 07:43 PM
vladbph
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I often hear car salesman talk about center of gravity when they are trying to sell a AWD sedan. Just how fast would you need to be going in the snow for the center of gravity to make a difference. Call me carzy, but even in a SUV like the GX, I usually take it easy in the snow.
You got me there I'm the salesman. First, I live where he lives, second, I had a chance to comapre..again - last winter in BC?.. third... yes, it is center of gravity + repair bill for my SUV...
Question is not how fast you need to go, but how steep the hill is...

Last edited by vladbph; 07-08-09 at 08:02 PM.
Old 07-08-09, 07:46 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

I've tried the new RX a while back, but unfortunately there wasn't enough legroom for me to sit comfortably. I'm 6'1" and my knees are hitting the front, but if I move the chair too far back to make my legs fit, my arms can't reach the steering wheel. The GS fits me better, and I like it better than a SUV too, but I just don't want to get stuck in the snow for 3-4 hours.
i've confirmed with a 2010 RX CL member here, the new RX has the telescoping steering wheel. so you can move the chair back for more leg/knee room comfort, and adjust the steering wheel towards you so that you can reach the steering wheel. there is an electronic adjustment **** beside the steering wheel column for you to do this. so the new RX should be considered as an alternative option (unless of course you don't like it for personal reasons which is a totally different matter)
Old 07-08-09, 10:55 PM
akfd
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Stormforge
i've confirmed with a 2010 RX CL member here, the new RX has the telescoping steering wheel. so you can move the chair back for more leg/knee room comfort, and adjust the steering wheel towards you so that you can reach the steering wheel. there is an electronic adjustment **** beside the steering wheel column for you to do this. so the new RX should be considered as an alternative option (unless of course you don't like it for personal reasons which is a totally different matter)
I did adjust the steering wheel, but it didn't telescope enough, so I ended up grabbing the steering wheel with both my arms straight out which is not a very comfortable/safe driving position. Maybe I was born to look like a monkey or something.
Old 07-09-09, 05:27 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

You got me there I'm the salesman. First, I live where he lives, second, I had a chance to comapre..again - last winter in BC?.. third... yes, it is center of gravity + repair bill for my SUV...
Question is not how fast you need to go, but how steep the hill is...
What is the difference between the repair bill on a SUV and a AWD sedan? and how does center of gravity affects traction on a steep hill when going slow?
Old 07-09-09, 08:06 AM
vladbph
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the difference between the repair bill on a SUV and a AWD sedan? and how does center of gravity affects traction on a steep hill when going slow?
Apperently you didnt read one of my previos posts. I was saying last winter I hit the curb going uphill when the car stopped in front of me my SUV slid back and sideways...
Traction reduces significantly depending on the steepness of the hill, doesnt matter you going down or stand still + weigth of the car of course.
Old 07-09-09, 08:20 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Apperently you didnt read one of my previos posts. I was saying last winter I hit the curb going uphill when the car stopped in front of me my SUV slid back and sideways...
Traction reduces significantly depending on the steepness of the hill, doesnt matter you going down or stand still + weigth of the car of course.
That has more to do with your tires than the center of gravity. I have owned the GX470 for 3 years and the GS350 AWD for one year and I can say with experience that the GS350 does not even come close to performance in snow as the GX470.
Old 07-09-09, 09:35 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

I did adjust the steering wheel, but it didn't telescope enough, so I ended up grabbing the steering wheel with both my arms straight out which is not a very comfortable/safe driving position. Maybe I was born to look like a monkey or something.
with the seat pushed back and steering wheel telescope forward, can you adjust your seat's back more to the forward position, so you can hold the steering wheel better? or does your head hit the head liner?

That has more to do with your tires than the center of gravity. I have owned the GX470 for 3 years and the GS350 AWD for one year and I can say with experience that the GS350 does not even come close to performance in snow as the GX470.
what vladbph may have neglected to tell you is that the snow packed roads up here often turn into sheets of ice. literally. even good snow tires won't help much if the hill is icy.

Last edited by Stormforge; 07-09-09 at 09:53 AM.
Old 07-09-09, 09:50 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Stormforge
what ivanz may have neglected to tell you is that the snow packed roads up here often turn into sheets of ice. literally. even good snow tires won't help much if the hill is icy.
In the Winter, we have a lot of icy roads here too in New England. Beside studed tires or chains, which is illegal in many cities, snow tires are the your best defense vs icy road.

Quick Reply: Performance in deep snow