GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Performance in deep snow

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-09, 07:12 PM
vladbph
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Here is your original comparision between the GX and the GS, every post you make, you change the senario. First it was uphill, now is downhill, then there is the roll over risk at a stop. Now its is the height causing your GX to slide backwards
Like I have already said, stopping and sliding after a stop has to do more with winter tires than any of those factors that you mention. Just because it happen to you in one senerio, that doesnt mean its the general case.
I think you can ask pretty much any GS AWD owners here who have driven the GX or the 4runner and they will tell you that the GX is much better in the snow.
The thing is that your statements are completly ignoring any scenarios, like last one very generic. . And one more time (ignoring afgain) I drove last winter on the same hills, have experince not only with basic school physics... Forse = ma??? Weight of GX is 1000lb more... in addition acceleration depends on center of gravity and angle of the hill... Told you already, deap show, flat roads, hands down GX, on steep hills give me a break... GS is better.
Old 07-15-09, 07:50 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by femmert
Say, Lexus Lovers....Just bought a 2006 GS300 with AWD and, in preparation for the weather this coming Winter here in the foothills of California where I live, I want to learn
about my AWD...how it works, when it will cut in, driving tips, etc. Lexus couldn't help
me - no AWD section in my Owner's manual or available from Lexus. Can anyone help
me find info on how my AWD works and how best to make use of it? Thanks....femmert
google is your friend!

http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to/vi...d-snow-102318/

edit: actually this video doesn't really show you how to drive in snow/ice. the best way to learn how to drive your awd is to take a performance driving school that specializes in simulating icy/wet road conditions.

Last edited by Stormforge; 07-15-09 at 07:57 PM.
Old 07-16-09, 06:21 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by akfd
Thanks for the great advice folks, I really appreciate it. I now have second thoughts about the GS; it sounds like the designers didn't do enough testing before selling the vehicle to the public. The dash rattles and the brake squeaks seem to be design flaws, and they're not isolated cases meaning quite a few people are getting those problems. I might look into the 2010 Merc E Class instead, as it is more high tech and maybe they've improved their usual electrical glitches. I'm still looking, but I think I'm leaning more towards a GX for Lexus and the Merc E Class for an AWD sedan.
Given a 1st year design Japanese car and a 1st year design German car, I would pick the Japanese car any day of the week.
Old 07-16-09, 06:22 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by vladbph
Told you already, deap show, flat roads, hands down GX, on steep hills give me a break... GS is better.
If both of the AWD system is the same, maybe that would be true. We all know that the 4WD system with the Torson center differantial on the GX470 is much better than the AWD system in the GS.

Last edited by The G Man; 07-16-09 at 07:21 AM.
Old 07-16-09, 11:45 PM
vladbph
Pole Position

If both of the AWD system is the same, maybe that would be true. We all know that the 4WD system with the Torson center differantial on the GX470 is much better than the AWD system in the GS.
In a free fall too? You see, it is pointless to continue any kind of discussion if the reason and arguments are ignored.
Old 07-17-09, 05:20 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by vladbph
In a free fall too? You see, it is pointless to continue any kind of discussion if the reason and arguments are ignored.
You seem to have forgotten what the original poster's question was, he ask which Lexus is better in the deep snow, the GX or the GS. Lets stay on topic.
Old 07-17-09, 04:20 PM
vladbph
Pole Position

You seem to have forgotten what the original poster's question was, he ask which Lexus is better in the deep snow, the GX or the GS. Lets stay on topic.
That is very funny. The question was about driving in West Vancouver where I live... very very steep hills. So I have to agree with you this time, lets stay on topic.
Originally Posted by afk
I should clarify that 12-14 inches of snow is accumulated, so it usually doesn't pile up that much (I would say 6-7 inches for a normal winter). Believe it or not, I don't live in the Interior, but I live in West Van, and the area where I live is a very steep hill.