GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

What? CarPC Integration? huh?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-09, 11:00 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts
Default What? CarPC Integration? huh?

Man guys, i'm hoping SOMEONE here can help me!!! i've been looking around the world (including CL, guess my search button skilled days are over) and have found no luck finding a guide/walkthrough to integrating a car pc into a 3gs! i was hoping someone can help me out, and if they can i'd definitely be up to make a write up(unless i'm stupid and because i haven't checked the write-ups yet) of the process and parts needed to integrate the car pc into a 3gs! I'm also wondering if it is even possible to use the touch screen as navigation through the car's pc! If any of this is possible i'll be working on a setup inside of windows to work almost like a factory Lexus (with the exception of not being able to use AC controls and etc.)
Old 07-07-09, 07:06 AM
mikesm
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Replacing the backend is very complicated because the display is used for a bunch of other functions than nav or entertainment. So you can't really just replace the OEM display. You can feed it auxiliary video, but you'd need some sort of touchscreen overlay to do what you want, because the OEM touchscreen has to be connected to the OEM computer.

The GS is very carputer unfriendly I think.
Old 07-07-09, 10:23 AM
XxGoKoUxX

thanks for your imput mike... i was thinking the same exact thing!

i can always use my Tmobile G1 to control the car computer's keyboard+mouse functions.... but the main concern is the video feed in the auxilary..... a computer uses very high resolution and it truly looks like bullcrap on television.... so will the GS's screen be able to handle a video feed like VGA/DVI/HDMI?
Old 07-08-09, 04:26 AM
Gs350Lola
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dang that would be awesome for my lexus to have a on board comp. controled by my navi..
Old 07-08-09, 01:55 PM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Best bet is probably to install another monitor where the speaker grill is.
Old 07-08-09, 10:40 PM
XxGoKoUxX

lol....speaker grill? nahh man.... i'm very ingenious when it comes to these things... i'll figure something out and make a writeup of it later =] thanks for the imput guys!!

possibly i can write up a OS system that's GS-friendly! with video output into the screen, you just need something that can run as a remote control for the carpc (i'll be using the t-mobile G1 for a remote control)
Old 07-09-09, 12:09 AM
kyang91
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm.....this is a very intersting topic.....I will have to think about that.....
Old 07-09-09, 12:15 AM
XxGoKoUxX

so... no one's done a car pc setup on a 3gs? i have MANY ideas... i'll be picking up a white 06 next week.... as soon as i get it i'll be parting together a carpc =]
Old 07-09-09, 10:18 PM
AznRacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

good luck little bro
Old 07-09-09, 10:55 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX
so will the GS's screen be able to handle a video feed like VGA/DVI/HDMI?
the GSs with ML audio and navi automatically comes with a DVD changer. watching dvd movies using the screen is decent. the only way to see if this meets your needs is to watch a movie in the GS in person and then decide. but your car must have ML audio in order to do this, as ML comes with a DVD changer; premium audio (non-ML) is just a CD-changer.
Old 07-10-09, 12:40 AM
mysteryan
Lead Lap

From what I understand, all 3GS screens are 800x600. Only video input option is getting one of those NavTV interfaces which gives a composite video input. Not sure if that input support resolutions that high. You can just hook up a Mini or micro PC with a TV out with those interfaces and it should work. Input would be tedious since there is no known way to tap into the touch screen controls. Perhaps having a button to activate PC voice recognition would be better.
Old 07-10-09, 08:48 PM
XxGoKoUxX

thanks for the imput so far guys =] if i recall there's a touchscreen overlay, but i can't seem to find the site that sells it.... maybe i can rig one of those things to a car pc! anyone have any idea?
Old 08-18-09, 06:27 PM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've been thinking about this for the longest time and it is more and more possible.

I think a small netbook can fit into the glove compartment, just need to find a way to mount it that it can slide out and somehow position right so the passenger can use it. Any1 have any ideas?

Now the question is what do u want to do with the PC? The netbook is a bit slow but it'll be like a laptop so it can do pretty much everything. All it need than is a 3G and u can get online anywhere 3G is available.

To make it a little sweeter, add a touch screen to the netbook http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.16124

Sadly our car don't have the aux for the audio. I wonder if somehow we can use our bluetooth to transmit the stereo audio quality to the car's receiver?
Old 08-18-09, 06:37 PM
mysteryan
Lead Lap

You can add universal aux input easily too. Vaistech has some modules you can order.
Old 08-18-09, 07:50 PM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

could u provide me the link?

thanks.

Quick Reply: What? CarPC Integration? huh?