GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Teaser thread turned Painted grill/Blitz Carbon Fiber grill pics..

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-09, 04:13 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Mike post some pixs already or will have to close
Old 07-09-09, 04:42 PM
LexFather

Stock (not my car)

Test fit Painted Chrome trim with stock grill

Test fit Blitz Carbon Fiber grill
Old 07-09-09, 04:51 PM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i dunno.. painted one looks so much better
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Stock (not my car)

Test fit Painted Chrome trim with stock grill

Test fit Blitz Carbon Fiber grill
hawt!!! =)
LexFather

I haven't decided totally what to do but Blitz pics to come....I didn't realize how much I would like the stock grill with the chrome piece.

For those that know me I go through grills I think my last GS went through 5 grills, the previous one 3 or 4... For me I feel the 2GS and especially the 3GS front end is very coupe like and very slick and I love the bodycolor grills on the cars.

I think KayGee knew from day 1 I was going with the Blitz grill He has the Carson T-tuned and I think its fab as well. NO GRILL CHROME!!

I will likely replace the emblem as well. The difference between the older smaller emblems and the newer emblems is staggering, not just in size but detail. While the older emblem is more of a 2D piece and pretty flat, the newer versions like on our car are very sculpted and really stand out not just b/c of size but b/c of detail.

I am not a big fan of emblems either. I debadged my GS 400 and had a TRD grill with no emblem out front. My 2GS 430 has a L-tuned grill with black pearl emblems. They don't make GS 450h black pearl emblems so somethings got to be done!!!

While the 2GS grill takes 1 minute to take apart, I had to really figure the 3GS out. Its rather a pain in the neck or I did it wrong . I had to take off the entire chrome grill to paint it and it was a hassle to me as well as putting it back on.

I'm pretty sure taking out just the inner grill itself is easy as it seems to be held in by 3 screws and 4 plastic tabs.

Overall I'm happy but now the mod bug has officially bit me and I made a deal for something last night
Old 07-09-09, 04:53 PM
LexFather

The other thing is the chrome painted around the headlights. No other Lexus has it before or after, not even the LS. I can only assume the designers were FORCED to do it b/c the headlight itself wouldn't be big enough and it would distort the proportions. So we got chrome rings around it. I believe the Audi A6 has them too.

I'm not a fan to say the least

Of course my views are probably opposite of everyone else. The 3GS style really grew on me and I like it a lot. I'm just trying to improve it to my tastes.

Last edited by LexFather; 07-09-09 at 05:41 PM.
Old 07-09-09, 05:57 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^ well said. Stock looks great mine are being painted also. Great minds think a like.

I'm having mine slightly different and I'm torn on the chrome around the lights. Probably paint them also.

Maybe ill get mine this weekend from my buddy.
Old 07-09-09, 08:30 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i'd leave the chrome grille. it's the only thing that matches the chrome around the headlights
Old 07-09-09, 09:33 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I dont see why people have this obsession with making the car look cheaper . Chrome looks nice. Mereceds and Lexus use it to accent their cars all of the time. Its staying on my car
Old 07-09-09, 09:42 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I dont see why people have this obsession with making the car look cheaper . Chrome looks nice. Mereceds and Lexus use it to accent their cars all of the time. Its staying on my car
different strokes for different folks. if done correctly, painted grills can look just as good as chrome. it all depends on the execution and styling.
Old 07-09-09, 09:45 PM
VipDout
19x11.5 -51

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hard to say i like it , I havent seen enough of these modded
Old 07-09-09, 09:59 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stormforge
different strokes for different folks. if done correctly, painted grills can look just as good as chrome. it all depends on the execution and styling.

I am sorry if I cam accross as rude. To each his own, but for me I like chrome ( in moderation)
Old 07-09-09, 10:00 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stormforge

I am sorry if I cam accross as rude. To each his own, but for me I like chrome . So do most people. Proof is in looking at what the manufacturers are doing with. Its still on most luxury cars and is still an expensive upgrade on wheels . IMO its nice
Old 07-09-09, 10:29 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

I am sorry if I cam accross as rude. To each his own, but for me I like chrome . So do most people. Proof is in looking at what the manufacturers are doing with. Its still on most luxury cars and is still an expensive upgrade on wheels . IMO its nice
what i'm trying to say is that everybody has different tastes, and have different ideas on how to mod their cars. there is no right or wrong way, it's all a matter of what each person likes or wants. you like your mods, i like mine. yours is not better than mine, mine is not better than yours. in the end, it is our cars that we enjoy because it reflects our tastes and style. we may have a personal opinion about a certain concept or the execution, but hey, that's what individuality is all about. if everyone modded their GS the same way - same wheels, same kit, same everything - wow, it would get boring!

i'm glad 1sicklex is doing something different, because it is unique. not everyone has a CF blitz grill. everyone who is changing their grills now are getting either lx-mode grill, prussian blue grill or artisan spirits grill....where's the creativity in that? sure it looks and fits good, but in the end anyone can do it if they want to spend the money. but to do something different, now that takes ***** and lots of hard work. it should be encouraged, not shot down. 2 cents.
Old 07-09-09, 10:30 PM
07350FROST
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am sorry if I cam accross as rude. To each his own, but for me I like chrome ( in moderation)
Chrome on cars blows.

if anything, putting more chrome on your car is gonna make it look cheaper not the other way around.

it just makes you yell LOOK AT ME!!!

dont even get me started on chrome wheels........

Chrome this....chrome that. blah! blah!

Quick Reply: Teaser thread turned Painted grill/Blitz Carbon Fiber grill pics..