GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Teaser thread turned Painted grill/Blitz Carbon Fiber grill pics..

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-09, 10:30 PM
Heng350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

am with i8abmp on this 1 :P i like chrome, just not too much of it. and i dont think the trim on the grille is too much
Old 07-09-09, 11:44 PM
LexFather

Guys please this is not to start a chrome/bling vs non chrome/CF war. I can appreciate both. My first Lexus back in 96 was an ES with CHROME. Back then, Chrome was IN IN IN and HOT HOT HOT!!! Hell when I bought my GS 400, I slapped chrome on it first, the car was what I called "cocaine" white or PDW. Who do u think started the color thread trends on here??? My days of chrome are past though and I have my theme and I'm sticking to it.

Its amazing to me to see the difference in responses, looks and the different people modding attracts. When I had chrome, it seemed to attact a loud crowd, younger people etc. When I changed to polished wheels and different piece wheels, I noticed people took time to stare and ask "hey I like that, its different, what you do"? I also get a lot of more mature people asking about my car. Different strokes for different folks!

Here is a pick of my GS 430 with different grills lol.....the goal was to modify it where you couldn't tell what was done for a nice stealthy, OEM sport look.
CF TRD grill

Black chrome 10th anniversary edition

L-tuned

Another thing, a lot of people have done black/chrome or black/polished. I think they look fantastic. Some cars I don't think I could ever come close to matching. This is my chance to do it "my way".

Old 07-10-09, 01:00 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

ummm, i will just add quickly. chrome wheels are more expensive because of the extra process involved, not coz' they make the car look more "luxurious"...

not having chrome doesn't make something look "cheap", where does that idea come from. and having chrome doesn't make something look more expensive neither. it's all about how things blend in together

in this case, i kind of prefer the chrome trim on the grille, some added accent to the front of the car. but if one goes for sportiness, i can understand this. just like my m3, first thing i changed out were those chrome kidneys to matte black
Old 07-10-09, 06:10 AM
KayGee
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
...I think KayGee knew from day 1 I was going with the Blitz grill He has the Carson T-tuned and I think its fab as well. NO GRILL CHROME!!

I like chrome but I'm 45 years old so I'm allowed. However the current trend of big shiny chrome grills on Escalades and Chrysler 300's have made me more attracted to the no chrome grills. If I had to do it again, the Blitz would be my first choice.
Old 07-10-09, 09:13 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Here is a pick of my GS 430 with different grills lol.....the goal was to modify it where you couldn't tell what was done for a nice stealthy, OEM sport look.
CF TRD grill

Black chrome 10th anniversary edition

L-tuned

they all look good mike!
Old 07-10-09, 10:20 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by KayGee
I like chrome but I'm 45 years old so I'm allowed. However the current trend of big shiny chrome grills on Escalades and Chrysler 300's have made me more attracted to the no chrome grills. If I had to do it again, the Blitz would be my first choice.
You've had chrome since I've known you and its always been tastefully done.
Old 07-10-09, 11:27 AM
Heng350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
ummm, i will just add quickly. chrome wheels are more expensive because of the extra process involved, not coz' they make the car look more "luxurious"...

not having chrome doesn't make something look "cheap", where does that idea come from. and having chrome doesn't make something look more expensive neither. it's all about how things blend in together

in this case, i kind of prefer the chrome trim on the grille, some added accent to the front of the car. but if one goes for sportiness, i can understand this. just like my m3, first thing i changed out were those chrome kidneys to matte black
Ok now am with Henry on this :P he said it very well :P i give this post a 10/10
Old 07-10-09, 12:33 PM
spine911
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Stormforge
different strokes for different folks. if done correctly, painted grills can look just as good as chrome. it all depends on the execution and styling.
Yep, it depends on the overall design of the car...it should flow with car's design, and character.

BRABUS was one of the first eurotuners to successfully execute the center blackout grill on the Mercedes Benz line- classy with the sport flair.

For the 3GS, im happy with the current grill - other aftermarket choices IMO steers far away from the original Lexus design, and character.

Last edited by spine911; 07-10-09 at 12:50 PM.
Old 07-11-09, 04:57 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm afraid to post pics of what I did. Plus Mike already posted haha. Funny we where doing the same thing. 2 things I did different was my emblems are black since my car is red. Threw on a roof spoiler but the front is where mine will either grab attn or not. I just need to pick up the parts.

I'm still sold on the OEM grill and glad I had it painted also.

Can't wait to see where you take this car Mike! Love everything your doing.
Old 07-11-09, 12:43 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by passnu2
I'm afraid to post pics of what I did. Plus Mike already posted haha. Funny we where doing the same thing. 2 things I did different was my emblems are black since my car is red. Threw on a roof spoiler but the front is where mine will either grab attn or not. I just need to pick up the parts.

I'm still sold on the OEM grill and glad I had it painted also.

Can't wait to see where you take this car Mike! Love everything your doing.
Thanks Mike . As for the emblem it came with the grill so I didn't change it. Seems Blitz put on the bigger emblem we have OEM on their green show car but its huge! I've thought about no emblem but it seems the 2GS pulls off that trick much better than the 3GS. The 3GS grill hole is much larger. I probably will do something with the emblem though

You need to post pics!!!
Old 07-11-09, 12:49 PM
Lexus GS3
Trouble Maker

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Hey Mike, that Blitz grill looks very familiar.. I remember i bought it from Clark (vip autosalon) he had it on his GS430, then I sold it to nick (scubadorq) and now it ended up in your hands.. That grill is amazing and nice
Old 07-11-09, 01:47 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Lexus GS3
Hey Mike, that Blitz grill looks very familiar.. I remember i bought it from Clark (vip autosalon) he had it on his GS430, then I sold it to nick (scubadorq) and now it ended up in your hands.. That grill is amazing and nice
Yup. Its like a CF bong....How long ago did you buy it? The condition its in is fantastic, mint to me. I couldn't find one scratch or mark on it.

Though I have to say I believe its $650 or now $700 new (damn yen) and thats a lot of money for a grill....
Old 07-11-09, 02:59 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ill post pics next weekend. Maybe it will help give you some ideas for he emblem.
Old 07-14-09, 11:18 AM
TriniGS
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I saw the grill in person this weekend and it looks darn good. Have me thinking about getting a grill now.