GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

just joined looking for advice/help

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-09, 05:54 PM
redlight30
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Folks - thanks so far for all the info. The reliability ratings on the german cars are making be a bit nervous but i suppose with any vehicle there could be issues. I am going to test drive the 09' E class tomorrow as the 4 matic 10' will not be out for a few more months. Living in NE i need the 4wd version. I drove the 5 series and m35x and did not like either ride. I have 3 friends with new audi's who have all had issues. I have had no issues in 5 years with my rx330 so it surprises me to read about all these noises/rattles/squeaks in the GS.

I know the E class is more expensive than the GS but if in the end the E class is something I like more than I don't mind paying the extra $. I am not sure i want the first year of a redesign but I don't want to wait another year to move on either.

What does Lexus say about the nosies? Are the able to be fixed or do they subside on their own?

Again, I appreciate all the insight.
Old 07-11-09, 07:08 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by redlight30
Folks - thanks so far for all the info. The reliability ratings on the german cars are making be a bit nervous but i suppose with any vehicle there could be issues. I am going to test drive the 09' E class tomorrow as the 4 matic 10' will not be out for a few more months. Living in NE i need the 4wd version. I drove the 5 series and m35x and did not like either ride. I have 3 friends with new audi's who have all had issues. I have had no issues in 5 years with my rx330 so it surprises me to read about all these noises/rattles/squeaks in the GS.

I know the E class is more expensive than the GS but if in the end the E class is something I like more than I don't mind paying the extra $. I am not sure i want the first year of a redesign but I don't want to wait another year to move on either.

What does Lexus say about the nosies? Are the able to be fixed or do they subside on their own?

Again, I appreciate all the insight.
I agree with the if its worth it to you pay for it. Lexus got a grilling from consumers and dealers with the 06 GS in reference to rattles and other issues. Lexus demanded dealers buy back and send the cars back to Japan for investigation. We are aware Lexus added a team of engineers to figure out the problems on the GS. As a whole Lexus also acknowledged they would put quality back to #1.
The 2009 GS should be relatively as well built as a car can get. The quality rankings/ratings support the fixes. 2006 GS was not recommended by Consumer Reports and for some reason the AWD model was picked as the worst. Lexus ratings also dipped in JD Power. We have seen the new 2009 rankings from both and they are back to Lexus being #1.

In regards to the Germans I would never expect them to be as reliable. BMW has free maintenance and Benz has improved. You lose some reliability in exchange for image and more available features.

Good luck
Old 07-11-09, 07:43 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

all this german unreliability talk may be a thing of the past.

we have to look at the last 3 years of the current E and 5 series to make any conclusions about reliability.

since 99% of us don't own a current E or 5, everything we say about the germans amounts to a pile of bull feces.

as Jay Leno implied with the Jag XJ, it's hard to overcome that perception of unreliability when it's a huge part of an automaker's legacy, just as the case is with Hyundai.
Old 07-11-09, 10:34 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnojack
that was 10 years ago.

once bitten twice shy

true enough. but let's not forget this one:

trick me once, shame on you. trick me twice, shame on me.
Old 07-11-09, 10:57 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

2010 bmw 5 is looking good

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/spy-s...eries/2137404/
Old 07-11-09, 11:10 PM
hierohead
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMO it totally depends on the ride you are looking for. Certain people enjoy the tighter suspension and raw engine of german engineering, while others enjoy the cushy and quiet ride of the lexus. I have an 07 GS350 and I have had no issues with rattling or anything else. However, for the one week I had a 07 535i, one half of the engine shut off due to fuel pump issues, and the dumbass bmw service techs accused me of racing the car and blamed it on turbo issues. Lexus is much more reliable than BMW or MB IMO, but they do look nice Not sure about the looks of the '10 E class tho. I would opt for the '09 E63 or E550 (Since my friends E63 tranny needed to be completely replaced) or the E60 M5. You also need to realize that rollin in a pimpy ride = needing to shell out dough from time to time.
Old 07-12-09, 07:30 AM
jre002
Lexus Test Driver

If I had to buy (a new car) right now today, I would get the E-Class or 5 Series. Both of these cars have new models out and I like to have the current model.. The GS will probably get remodeled next year, or the following year at the most so why buy a new car which will be outdated soon. Also, like others have said, because the E-Class and 5 Series are new they will have new technology. Unless you are completely loyal to the Lexus moniker, go with the newly designed Teutons.

Now, if there was a new GS model out as well my advice would be different.
Old 07-12-09, 09:09 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Stormforge
true enough. but let's not forget this one:

trick me once, shame on you. trick me twice, shame on me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A
Old 07-14-09, 05:56 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

redlight30,
You live in MA just like I do, the GS will not like the cold weather. It will rattles in the winter time and since it is the design of the interior panels that is the problem, most of the rattle cannot be fix, sometimes the dealer can make them queiter.
If you been keeping track of the German reliebility in recent years, their long term reliablity is for the most part above average. As far as the new E class, I make it a rule to never buy a 1st year German car. Most German car owners have nothing to complain about except reliability, so thats all you will hear
These high performance sedans you are looking at will never be as reliable as your old RX. The old RX is design for reliablity, very little electronic toys that can and will break eventually. The powertrain and suspension is not high performance and its tune for reliability.
If you are looking for reliability and not performance, I would consider the ES save your self some money.
Old 07-14-09, 10:35 AM
redlight30
Driver

Smile

I test drove a new 2010 E350 yesterday and wow was it nice. The 2010 was significantly better than the 2009 for ride, driving feel and just overall feel of the vehicle. Some of the little changes were nice upgrades also over the 09'.

I was always told never to buy a first year model of a car but can we still say this in 2010 like we did in the 80's and 90's?

I thought my mind was made up until yesterday.

thanks for the continued advice/comments.