GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

just joined looking for advice/help

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-09, 07:32 PM
redlight30
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default just joined looking for advice/help

Hey All just joined and was reading many of the posts on all topics on the GS. Am looking at an 09' loaded but was a bit leery after reading many of the posts about rattles/squeaks etc... I drive an 04' RX 330 now and am tired of an SUV.

If you have an 09' would you recommend it or no? Looking also at Mercedes E class.

thanks in advance.
Old 07-10-09, 08:19 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i'd get the E class for a few grand more. even if there might be first year bugs

the GS doesn't cut it in terms of performance or technology.
Old 07-10-09, 08:41 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

come on dunnojack, i know you're jaded but try to be as objective as much as possible. this is a GS forum after all. there are pros and cons for both the GS and E Class. it's a matter of determining which car is suitable for the OP.
Old 07-10-09, 09:06 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I have to say I like my GS a lot, but I have had the rattles. I am currently dealing with a dash rattle and sunroof rattle that needs to be addressed ASAP. I am tempted to try a German car but feel that as soon as it breaks down I will be telling myself I told you so. The Lexus has been the most reliable car I have ever owned, but its the service department that really separates Lexus from the rest.
Old 07-11-09, 06:36 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stormforge
come on dunnojack, i know you're jaded but try to be as objective as much as possible. this is a GS forum after all. there are pros and cons for both the GS and E Class. it's a matter of determining which car is suitable for the OP.

he did say he was looking at the E class

so.........

and i'm not jaded. look at all the stuff in the new E. it's just better. you can't argue with that.

Last edited by dunnojack; 07-11-09 at 06:44 AM.
Old 07-11-09, 06:47 AM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

I'd seriously consider the E-class now too.
Old 07-11-09, 07:02 AM
Lexzam
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How about waiting until next year to see the new 5-series? E class for sure is a very fine piece of engineering. Still, this is the first year of production for the new model and after all it is a Mercedes, which could be a pretty bad combination. And there is the new E class coupe as well to consider. For me E class would not be an option, 5 series or XF rather...
Old 07-11-09, 07:07 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This is why I want to pass the GS to the Mrs.

The fear of german cars doesn't need to be there. I wiii say my last three cars where german and not one had any problems.

BMW service was a joke. Lexus dealers are better by far. Audi was also good for service.

The GS is just a little to boring for me. I would drive it to see what you like better. I have never owned a Benz so I can't say anything good or bad. Looks nice IMO.
Old 07-11-09, 07:16 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

let me say objectively..........

the new tech coming in the next 5 series, and the new tech in the E class now.......... will, and have already, pummelled the GS tech. Looking at the gizmos in the GS, I have nothing to brag about.

The GS tech is now old, and can be found in Mazdas. So if you buy a GS, you're buying an old car.
Luxury cars are supposed to have over the top electronics and new stuff.
But the GS still has ~3 more long years before the tech gets an upgrade.

however, if price is your only concern, then that is easy- go with the lexus.
Old 07-11-09, 07:20 AM
Lexzam
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As for Mercedes, 8 years ago they set a target to regain the lost position as quality leader in the industry. Two-three years later, after numerous complaints of cars getting rust - often repaired under warranty, electronics problems etc, Mercedes admitted publicly in German press that they had quality problems and dropped the claim to target becoming quality leader in the industry. Know a couple of E class owners... never know, maybe the current generation is better.

Last edited by Lexzam; 07-11-09 at 07:23 AM.
Old 07-11-09, 09:48 AM
Gs350Lola
Lead Lap

if your the type to get bothered by rattles and little noises in a gs like me don't buy the gs, the dash has alot of multi pieces that seem to be making these creeky noises. Lexus is reliable. does mercedes still have an issue with there a/c system? iono if this mean anything but my frist car was a old 99 mercedes broke down on me so many times.
Old 07-11-09, 10:52 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gs350Lola
if your the type to get bothered by rattles and little noises in a gs like me don't buy the gs, the dash has alot of multi pieces that seem to be making these creeky noises. Lexus is reliable. does mercedes still have an issue with there a/c system? iono if this mean anything but my frist car was a old 99 mercedes broke down on me so many times.
that was 10 years ago.

once bitten twice shy
Old 07-11-09, 02:04 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by dunnojack
let me say objectively..........

the new tech coming in the next 5 series, and the new tech in the E class now.......... will, and have already, pummelled the GS tech. Looking at the gizmos in the GS, I have nothing to brag about.

The GS tech is now old, and can be found in Mazdas. So if you buy a GS, you're buying an old car.
Luxury cars are supposed to have over the top electronics and new stuff.
But the GS still has ~3 more long years before the tech gets an upgrade.

however, if price is your only concern, then that is easy- go with the lexus.
StormForge and I don't have that issue in a GS450h It might miss a couple things/gadgets like heads up display but they don't have a hybrid yet.

The GS 450h is still regarded with the LS/RX as the most advanced cars in the world based on their hybrid technology.

The new E-class will cost substantially more than a comparably equipped GS. It is bigger but I simply DO NOT like the exterior/interior. I prefer the 09 E class.

If I got an E class over the GS, it would be a used E55 or E63. No brainer for me
Old 07-11-09, 03:08 PM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

I think most of the posters in the 3GS forum have relatively low miles on their cars (under warranty). We are all glad there are not major issues with this car but......I doubt that this gen GS will be as reliable as the second gen GS. Besides the interior integrity issues (rattles), there are other things. Many seem to get a CEL, which most often seems to be a bad gas cap. Mine is at 56k miles and change, I am out of the comprehensive warranty....parking sensors acting up in the heat again. Last month, I heard an engine rattle and had it repaired. It happened to be an internal valve crank issue and dealer fixed it (this is something the gs350 has also, but is not common yet). It has had several recalls, fuel lines, some caliper issue, steering system.....I had some seat belt problems...the side mirrors seem to be breaking alot (the E does not have power folding mirrors though ) Overall, this is a car I would avoid in the long term and I dont plan to keep this past its drivetrain warranty period...but a brand new one would be fine I'm sure for a few years.

Last edited by EyeKutr; 07-11-09 at 03:17 PM.
Old 07-11-09, 05:48 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

i like how the next 5 series is turning out.

it's conservative enough, yet it will look evil when fixed up.

i'm seriously considering the next 5 series if my 350 breaks down or gets totalled.

Quick Reply: just joined looking for advice/help