GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

3GS wheel thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-10, 02:09 AM
rickyb80
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
22 x 8.5 Menzari wheels with a 35mm offset.

more pics to come once the car is out of the body shop.
OMG, white rims on a silver car? Not my cup of tea bro........
Old 12-11-10, 02:22 AM
rickyb80
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MIAMIGS3
you forgot the chrome pillars and chrome headlight and taillights bezels
Oh no man......this looks so bad. Those rims aren't tasteful at all and that grill is an ebay knockoff. Why buy an expensive car and then try to cut corners with cheap mods?
Old 12-11-10, 02:34 AM
rickyb80
Pole Position

Originally Posted by silo113
fighter... I'm in agreement with #2 because that is the style I'm going with. Iforged and Symbolic have nice 3-piece 5 stars (but too expensive for me). Here are some other options:
1) Enkei (only offset is 40 w/ both 20x8.5 and 20x9.5)
2) TSW (20x10 w/ offsets 25 or 40 and 20x8.5 w/ offsets 20 or 40)
3) Lorenzo (only offset is 35 w/ both 20x8.5 and 20x9.5)

Not sure if these offsets work or not.
I dont understand how spending $3500 on a nice set of rims and tires is "too much" when you've already spent the money on a 3GS.

Why buy an expensive car and throw cheap rims on it. If you want to do it right the first time then wait until you can afford to buy a nice set of rims. Don't cut corners. There's alot of nice looking GS's in this forum and you'll notice that the nicer one's have Work's, Vossens, BBS's, or HRE's.
Old 12-11-10, 09:10 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rickyb80
I dont understand how spending $3500 on a nice set of rims and tires is "too much" when you've already spent the money on a 3GS.

Why buy an expensive car and throw cheap rims on it. If you want to do it right the first time then wait until you can afford to buy a nice set of rims. Don't cut corners. There's alot of nice looking GS's in this forum and you'll notice that the nicer one's have Work's, Vossens, BBS's, or HRE's.
I don't understand criticizing someone for how much money they spend on their car. High end wheels work no better than low cost wheels. It's just the look that's meaningful. With that said, it's a personal choice and should not be a matter for critical commentary. How it looks, yes. How much it costs, no.
There are some exceptions but as long as the product is safe, it's only the look that makes a big difference since not many people race a Lexus.
Old 12-11-10, 02:47 PM
Chancellor
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OMG, white rims on a silver car? Not my cup of tea bro........
its not silver its GFM ( a white pearl )
Old 12-11-10, 06:45 PM
rickyb80
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Ice350
I don't understand criticizing someone for how much money they spend on their car. High end wheels work no better than low cost wheels. It's just the look that's meaningful. With that said, it's a personal choice and should not be a matter for critical commentary. How it looks, yes. How much it costs, no.
There are some exceptions but as long as the product is safe, it's only the look that makes a big difference since not many people race a Lexus.
I understand where you are coming from. True, almost nobody races Lexus GS's, so looks are what matters. However, I fail to see how someone could spend $25K-$55K on a car and then allow a mere difference in $500-$1000 alter their decision when it comes to rims. It's like buying a high-dollar suit and then going to payless to pick up a pair of imitation shoes. I don't get it. Cheap rims are for cheap cars. Not always, but most of the time, it looks pretty obvious when someone trys to slap a set of knock offs on a car as beautiful as the GS. All the nicest Lexus' have 1) staggered setups 2) quality rims with correct offsets designed to look good on a Lexus 3) one of the following brand rims: Vossen, BBS, HRE, or Work

A cheap set of 20's with tires for the GS will still cost around $2000. For an additional $1000 you can get an awesome set, that's all I'm saying. If I only had $2000 I'd look for a set of good used Vossen's or Work's.....they will look better and compliment the Lexus more.....just my opinion.
Old 12-11-10, 06:56 PM
rickyb80
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Chancellor
its not silver its GFM ( a white pearl )
I think it's the bluish hue in the GFM paint combined with the pearl white rims that I'm not really feelin'.....

Maybe if the rims were resprayed in GFM it would look nicer....
Old 12-11-10, 08:05 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I understand where you are coming from. True, almost nobody races Lexus GS's, so looks are what matters. However, I fail to see how someone could spend $25K-$55K on a car and then allow a mere difference in $500-$1000 alter their decision when it comes to rims. It's like buying a high-dollar suit and then going to payless to pick up a pair of imitation shoes. I don't get it. Cheap rims are for cheap cars. Not always, but most of the time, it looks pretty obvious when someone trys to slap a set of knock offs on a car as beautiful as the GS. All the nicest Lexus' have 1) staggered setups 2) quality rims with correct offsets designed to look good on a Lexus 3) one of the following brand rims: Vossen, BBS, HRE, or Work

A cheap set of 20's with tires for the GS will still cost around $2000. For an additional $1000 you can get an awesome set, that's all I'm saying. If I only had $2000 I'd look for a set of good used Vossen's or Work's.....they will look better and compliment the Lexus more.....just my opinion.
I sorta understand. So u think the 1K set of MRR's pictured above on the silver GS looks cheap. I don't see it. They look similar to other 1 piece concave-style wheels on the market. I think the key is careful selection. There are some ugly expensive wheels and some nice looking cheaper wheels. Taking time to choose properly means a lot.
Old 12-12-10, 01:07 AM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 198 Likes on 131 Posts

I sorta understand. So u think the 1K set of MRR's pictured above on the silver GS looks cheap. I don't see it. They look similar to other 1 piece concave-style wheels on the market. I think the key is careful selection. There are some ugly expensive wheels and some nice looking cheaper wheels. Taking time to choose properly means a lot.
I agree with Ice350.. price has nothing to do with taste! Quality, yes because safety comes first! If you think just because you spend more to get better brand name, then thats your opinion. I thinka nice set of TSW or Enkei with the right fitment and tire could look good. Besides 2k for a used set or 2k for a new set? I think id choose new!
Old 12-12-10, 03:22 AM
rickyb80
Pole Position

Ok, I'll stand corrected on this one. As you said, you "can" go with some cheap wheels but the key is "careful selection". There are a few out there that look pretty nice that aren't expensive. For my taste though it would be like finding a needle in a haystack.

With the more expensive rims you don't have to look quite as hard I guess.

Ultimately, as stated all throughout this forum, it boils down to personal taste. I'll try not to be so critical in the future.

But hey, I ordered my rims, tires, springs, and body kit last week so once I get it all put on I'll post plenty of pics and I will expect feedback (good or bad).
Old 12-12-10, 03:25 AM
rickyb80
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tryitonce
Hello peeps....New here with Lexus (always a Tpyota fan,former Supra owner). Here are some pics of my new purchase with ADR 19s
Those rims look hot on the 2GS......very sporty.
Old 12-17-10, 09:18 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

I think it's the bluish hue in the GFM paint combined with the pearl white rims that I'm not really feelin'.....

Maybe if the rims were resprayed in GFM it would look nicer....
those wheels are long gone. i bought them because they were cheap and painted crystal white. just wanted to see how it would look. heres how it sat before i took the other wheels off

Name:  Car1.jpg
Views: 1508
Size:  56.3 KB

wow talk about close minded huh

Last edited by IXI187IXI; 12-17-10 at 09:22 AM.
Old 12-19-10, 08:53 PM
GSfoedoe
Driver School Candidate

Hey everyone, I just picked up some new wheels and am wondering what tire sizes to get.

They are 20x9.5 +38 and 20x10.5 +38.

I entered the information into the tire size calucator on 1010's website and it seems 235/35/20 (f) and 265/30/20 (r) would be within 3% of factory diameter, but since the wheels are semi-aggressive, would you think those tire sizes would minimize on rubbage or do you think I should go with more of a stretch? (such as 225 (f) and 245 or 255 (r) )
Old 12-19-10, 11:40 PM
username32
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GSfoedoe
Hey everyone, I just picked up some new wheels and am wondering what tire sizes to get.

I entered the information into the tire size calucator on 1010's website and it seems 235/35/20 (f) and 265/30/20 (r) would be within 3% of factory diameter, but since the wheels are semi-aggressive, would you think those tire sizes would minimize on rubbage or do you think I should go with more of a stretch? (such as 225 (f) and 245 or 255 (r) )
Those are a bit aggressive, i think the fronts will be the real issue as its wide and aggressive. To minimize rubbing i think 225 front and 255 rear would be the most ideal without extensive amount of fender work. It really depends on how big your drop is too.
Old 12-19-10, 11:49 PM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 198 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by GSfoedoe

If you have AWD, be careful! i think 265/30/20 would be too much of a stretch on a 10.5" rim. i believe the popular combo tire sizes are 245/30-20 &285/25-20. If you lower your car..285 in the rear may rub. Good luck! That front rim seems quite wide and agressive for this car!

Last edited by msgs350; 12-19-10 at 11:51 PM. Reason: spelling

Quick Reply: 3GS wheel thread