GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Paint Cracked & Chipping. Need Your Advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-09, 10:33 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Paint Cracked & Chipping. Need Your Advice

So I went to a local shop around me to have my rear fenders rolled. I was under the impression that there may be a few slight paint chips possibly but what i saw when i got there was not what i expected. The paint all around the lip of the wheel well is cracked and chipping off. I called the shop the next day to discuss this problem and said that this is beyond what you told me would happen. I said i was expecting a few nicks and chips that could be fixed with a dab of touch up paint, but not the whole lip to be destroyed. His response was to use touch up paint. Touch up paint will not help when its the whole wheel well.

After talking to him more, he mentions that my car was probably the worse he has ever seen and he said he rolled it as minimum as possible (which is not true because the lip is pushed all the way up and cant go anymore). He said he noticed the paint start to crack as he rolled it, my question is why didnt he stop then and say he cant roll the fenders?

Fast forward to today. I had submitted a claim to insurace about this since the shop was of no help to help me with the car and what they did. Insurance took a look at it today but now they are saying they more than likely wont cover it because i paid to have this work done to my car. I talked to my buddy who works at the body shop that the car is at now and he said it looks like they didnt even use a fender roller but a pair of plyers

I have no clue what to do, the shop wont help me out even after the ****ed my car and insurance is saying they probably wont cover it. I really do not want to be stuck paying out of pocket to have this fixed. Any advice on what to do?

I did not sign any papers from or even the reciept. They did the work when i was in NYC for a meeting and i gave them my card number over the phone. Not sure how much pull that will have.
Sorry there are no pics yet since the car is at the body shop right now.

Last edited by IXI187IXI; 07-21-09 at 10:51 AM.
Old 07-21-09, 10:41 AM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

That work from a body shop is unacceptable. If it were me I would give them one more chance to make the situation correct, then I'd report them to the Better Business Bureau (www.bbb.com). I paid to have the finders shaved and rolled on my 350Z and there was not one nick, scratch, or dimple.

Of course if you tried to pay them a song and a dance to get the work done you might have gotten what you paid for. If you paid them good money, escalate.
Old 07-21-09, 10:43 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

understood but i paid what is pretty much the typical rate ive seen for fender rolling which was 45 a fender. in total i paid roughly 95.40 after taxes. i didnt not try to haggle. i paid their shop fee to have it done.
Old 07-21-09, 10:46 AM
07350FROST
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OMG!! can you say "Worst Nightmare"????

Sorry dude.....that sucks bigtime. im at a loss for you on what to do next but had to respond.

that shop sucks
Old 07-21-09, 10:50 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 07350FROST
OMG!! can you say "Worst Nightmare"????

Sorry dude.....that sucks bigtime. im at a loss for you on what to do next but had to respond.

that shop sucks
your telling me, i really wish i had never gone. Funny thing is i found them on a local car forum im on since they are a vendor there and i even have the forum sticker on my window so they know i am a member there. Im completely shocked they would do this known im a member on a forum they are a vendor on.
Old 07-21-09, 10:59 AM
07350FROST
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
your telling me, i really wish i had never gone. Funny thing is i found them on a local car forum im on since they are a vendor there and i even have the forum sticker on my window so they know i am a member there. Im completely shocked they would do this known im a member on a forum they are a vendor on.
let the verbal shop bashing begin!!! if they are not gonna warranty their work in any way, at least they will suffer financially by not getting other forum readers' business!

let this be a lesson to ALL BUSINESSES...... and its a proven fact by the way,

1) you do a good job and make the customer happy, he or she tells (4) four of his/her friends

2) you make the customer unhappy with your work and regret doing business with you, he or she tells (15) fifteen of his/her friends.
Old 07-21-09, 11:11 AM
raptl1985
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I can't believe that man...I hope you get it fixed and I agree with ZippyGuy, I would report it to the BBB also.

I'm from Philly and I have seen my share of bad shops around here. Let me know which one did this so I can steer clear.
Old 07-21-09, 11:28 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by raptl1985
I can't believe that man...I hope you get it fixed and I agree with ZippyGuy, I would report it to the BBB also.

I'm from Philly and I have seen my share of bad shops around here. Let me know which one did this so I can steer clear.
the shop is outside of philly. i am not going to go into detail about the shop until i get this resolved.

they apparently told the insurace that i was ok with the work when in fact, i picked the car up after hours and the reciept was in the car. i never signed anything saying that work was ok. at this point, that looks like the only leg i have to stand on.
Old 07-21-09, 11:47 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

sorry to hear about this, good luck to you.
Old 07-21-09, 12:48 PM
Chancellor
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like he didn't use a fender roller or heat the fenders up before hand. Sorry to hear this man.
Old 07-21-09, 12:53 PM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Chancellor
Sounds like he didn't use a fender roller or heat the fenders up before hand. Sorry to hear this man.
i dont think he did either and im about to head to the shop now to take a look at it and see if i can come to the conclusion that plyers were actually used. if thats the case, i am going to call them and discuss this and see where we can go from there.

at this point, i just want it fixed. i'm willing to help them if they can help me.
Old 07-22-09, 02:39 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

well i went to the shop yesterday to look at the car and its pretty clear that there are 3 clamp marks on each rear where they pretty much pinched the metal closed. not only is the paint f'ed but the rear panels are wavey from clamping it. end result, $4900 worth of damage.
Old 07-22-09, 06:45 AM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
well i went to the shop yesterday to look at the car and its pretty clear that there are 3 clamp marks on each rear where they pretty much pinched the metal closed. not only is the paint f'ed but the rear panels are wavey from clamping it. end result, $4900 worth of damage.
$4900?!?!?! are they repainting the ENTIRE car im sorry to hear about this. How in the world could they use plyers?? sounds like they didnt have a clue as to what they were doing. my suggestion would be to take this shop to a small claims court to get back this money you have to shell out to fix up your car. keep us posted
Old 07-22-09, 07:03 AM
thomastan
Lead Lap

first if it was me...i would call my credit card and dispute the payment than i would take pictures of the car with damage and get a estimate of damage and get a lawyer...dont let them bend you over and screw you.
Old 07-22-09, 07:26 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

oh trust me im not letting this go over on me.

Originally Posted by varcity64
$4900?!?!?! are they repainting the ENTIRE car im sorry to hear about this. How in the world could they use plyers?? sounds like they didnt have a clue as to what they were doing. my suggestion would be to take this shop to a small claims court to get back this money you have to shell out to fix up your car. keep us posted
no thats just the quote to fix the rear. the place i have it at is a very high end body shop that does nothing but lexus, bmw, benz, ferrari, porsche, etc... the estimator said it would be about 22 hours per side to fix the damage. this includes straightening the rear, removing all molding and lights to paint and time to blend all the paint. pretty much the whole back half of the car will be painted.

Originally Posted by thomastan
first if it was me...i would call my credit card and dispute the payment than i would take pictures of the car with damage and get a estimate of damage and get a lawyer...dont let them bend you over and screw you.
i paid with my debit card over the phone since i was out of town that day. i picked the car up later that night. i just recieved the pictures from the body shop and it looks terrible i have the pictures and an estimate to fix it right now. im currently working with another shop that does fender rolling to give me all the information i need for what a good fender rolling job would look like.

the shop i took the car to is trying to hide behind the fact that they told me that there would be some paint chipping. which when they said that, they said it was nothing touch up paint couldnt fix. i even ordered the touch up paint anticipating the small touch up. this was the circumstances that i agreed to have the car done by.

Quick Reply: Paint Cracked & Chipping. Need Your Advice