GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460
View Poll Results: Do you have noise - if so, what is your year/vehicle model or, select no noise!!!
2007 GS350 RWD w/Noise
16.67%
2008 GS350 RWD w/Noise
10.00%
2008 GS460 RWD w/Noise
6.67%
2007+ GS450h w/Noise
0%
2006-2007 GS430 w/Noise
10.00%
NO NOISE WHATSOEVER...
43.33%
2006 GS 300 AWD w/Noise
3.33%
2007+ GS 350 AWD w/Noise
10.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Fsport Sway Bar: Official Noise Survey

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-09, 09:58 AM
1STLXS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

If I may also chime in, shouldn't the ones selecting "no noise" also list which vehicle year and model they have to see if there is a pattern there? Just a thought.
Old 07-23-09, 10:08 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Leeladisky
Mods (read: 1SickLex): Is there a way to add a multiple choice to the poll? I need to determine, how many 350's, 430's or other vehicles, also have the "AVS system (Active Vehicle Suspension Sport/Norm)".... I have some high up people involved and they want this information as well, is there a way? We would need to be able to select a vehicle and then add the AVS as an option, otherwise there will be too many choices - LOL.
there is no multiple choice options on the poll, so listing every possible choices is the only way to go. i need to run now, if you want you can post up all the options and either mike or i can edit your poll to include them
Old 07-23-09, 10:59 AM
wingster
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
It has to be a simple install issue like the direction of the gap in the bushing
Not for me. I installed it per the instructions. I even tried repositioning the plate that the bushings are mounted to, to reduce the gaps between the bushing stops on the bar and the bushings, with no success.

By the way, I have a GS350 RWD with stock suspension.

Last edited by wingster; 07-23-09 at 11:03 AM.
Old 07-23-09, 11:36 AM
Leeladisky
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rominl
there is no multiple choice options on the poll, so listing every possible choices is the only way to go. i need to run now, if you want you can post up all the options and either mike or i can edit your poll to include them
Can you add these options?

2007 GS350 RWD + AVS w/Noise 3 30.00%
2008 GS350 RWD + AVS w/Noise 1 10.00%
2006 GS 300 AWD + AVS w/Noise 1 10.00%
2007+ GS 350 AWD + AVS w/Noise
Old 07-23-09, 11:45 AM
Leeladisky
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1STLXS
If I may also chime in, shouldn't the ones selecting "no noise" also list which vehicle year and model they have to see if there is a pattern there? Just a thought.
It's a good suggestion, but I think we can ascertain from those with noise, across multiple product lines, that the folks w/o noise are in the minority... I will let Lexus review the data as they see fit, but the no noise people are VERY much in the minority of total installs.
Old 07-23-09, 12:00 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Can you add these options?

2007 GS350 RWD + AVS w/Noise 3 30.00%
2008 GS350 RWD + AVS w/Noise 1 10.00%
2006 GS 300 AWD + AVS w/Noise 1 10.00%
2007+ GS 350 AWD + AVS w/Noise
just to be sure before i make the changes on poll, avs is an option on gs300/350 for 06-08? somehow i thought avs is option on gs350 starting 09. someone please correct me, i am getting too old for all these options
Old 07-23-09, 12:02 PM
Leeladisky
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rominl
just to be sure before i make the changes on poll, avs is an option on gs300/350 for 06-08? somehow i thought avs is option on gs350 starting 09. someone please correct me, i am getting too old for all these options
I can't remember either... lmao.
Old 07-23-09, 04:41 PM
Leeladisky
Lead Lap

Default Solved: WINGSTER And Sewell Deserve a Thanks - here's the issue!

Well everyone, I am happy to report that thanks to the guidance from Wingster and his "trick" to test his theory, my dealer has, at least, temporarily resolved my problem. I can now confirm, fairly confidently, that the gap reported by Wingster and others, between the bushing and the bar itself, is the cause of our noise. My dealer, in cahoots with Sewell (both of whom are probably some of the BEST Lexus people I have ever worked with), working on the Wingster theory basis, built up a bunch of foam (from the various Lexus rattle kits) on BOTH (repeat BOTH) the sway itself AND INSIDE the bushing, and then reassembled.

In short, the bar no longer slides from right to left, voila - noise gone. I have put 45 miles on my car, side streets, etc., and there is absolutely no noise - no driveway noise, no speedbump noise, and certainly no uneven road/crater noise.

I will continue to test over the weekend, but I believe that this is the result of either a mistake in QC during manufacturing or a certain design defect. Please contact your installing DEALER and have them open a case with Lexus Tech Line, in conjunction with Darrel @ Sewell doing similar, I think we will get a fix for this.

As a side note, my gap was 1/4" between the lip and the driver side bushing, which is similar to other's reports of 1/8" on each side. However you choose to approach the solution, nylon wire tie is probably a good start for testing (and easily added without bar removal), but the longer term solution (read: stop-gap measure) is to build something up on both the bar AND inside the bushing that provide counter force and prevent sliding.

Please please please continue to post your votes and data here so that we can ultimately preseent this to Lexus (as they are involved). I would imagine that my dealer and Sewell will probably use this data to help us. But again, make sure you insist your dealer open a case with Lexus rather than JUST correct via stop-gap fix. If they go the latter route, they will likely not be reimbursed for their time under warranty. This needs an offiical tracking mechanism at Lexus via an Trouble Report.

I was so excited I forgot to take pictures.... but all I can say is:
Old 07-23-09, 05:02 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

this is very encouraging news! glad that your dealership and sewell lexus were working very closely together to look at the issue. this is what i called customer service

hopefully this eventually becomes the only cause of noise

if that's the case, it seems like a new different bushing is need by lexus to be the actual fix
Old 07-23-09, 05:55 PM
wingster
Driver

Well everyone, I am happy to report that thanks to the guidance from Wingster and his "trick" to test his theory, my dealer has, at least, temporarily resolved my problem.
You're welcome. I'm hoping that we do get a real fix from Lexus.

Last edited by wingster; 07-23-09 at 10:09 PM.
Old 07-23-09, 06:09 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

awesome!!!! cant wait to install mine
Old 07-23-09, 08:03 PM
1STLXS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Old 07-23-09, 10:02 PM
Leeladisky
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by wingster
Your welcome. I'm hoping that we do get a real fix from Lexus.
Me too, but as a reminder to everyone, keep adding to the survey and this thread. Also, Wingster, as you probably have sumised, get rid of that nylon wire tie ;-) - my dealer went on and on about that one - props for originality, but gave it like 3-4 miles before it ended up causing more issues - LOL. I would go back to your installer/dealer and have them stuff the damn bushing full of foam and then wrap the bar itself, reinstall. That is much safer if and until such time Lexus does fix this...

Lee
Old 07-23-09, 10:21 PM
wingster
Driver

Also, Wingster, as you probably have sumised, get rid of that nylon wire tie ;-) - my dealer went on and on about that one - props for originality, but gave it like 3-4 miles before it ended up causing more issues - LOL.
Don't take this the wrong way, I'm not offended but ...Don't think that foam or felt tape that they used is any better, wait till the heat from the friction of the rubbing makes a mess from the adhesive on the sway bar and bushing (not knowing where they exactly placed it).

I think a nylon washer on both sides makes more sense.
Old 07-23-09, 10:49 PM
sprintz
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wingster
I think a nylon washer on both sides makes more sense.
I agree, but I don't have experience with installation of performance sways. Perhaps Lee's shop is using tried and true techniques(??).

Adding a washer is simple and keeps it like OEM. But you can either use:

1. Non-split (best solution?). It has to deform enough to fit over the "smashed" ends of the sways (requires removal of the sways for install).

2. Split (MUCH easier install if you have your sways on already). Hmmm, I don't even think this could work long term. How do you get it to not pop out from the twisting and pressure?

Where does one get a ~1/16" to 3/32" thick washer with the right hole diameters(bar is 31.75mm) & material?

Quick Reply: Fsport Sway Bar: Official Noise Survey