GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

new windshield or accept repair?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-09, 12:39 AM
coreyco
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new windshield or accept repair?

Today my isurance company sent a mobile glass repair company to my home, to repair a spider sized, freeway pebble induced, windshield crack. The end result is what now looks like a pin-sized pit mark in the middle of the windshield. If you really look closely, a slight 1/2" hairline crack is barely visible. To most observers, the repair would not be noticeable. This repair was done at no charge.
If I am not satisfied, the ins. company will replace the windshield with a new one for the $300 deductable. If I press hard enough, they may even supply an OEM version at little or no coat. My concern though, in addition to the additional expense, is that I will no longer have a factory installed windshield, and the fit of an original windshield may not be the same when substituted with a replacement. What would you guys do? Your input and advise is appreciated.
-Corey
'07 GS350
17K miles
Old 07-24-09, 12:54 AM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

I wouldn't worry about it. In about two weeks you will not notice the repair mark yourself.

I seriously doubt you will be able to make them pay for the OEM glass. On my wife's RX350 the rock hit the windshiled and it cracked. I called the dealer, they wanted $1400 for a PPG glass with the Lexus logo on it. Safelite Autoglass is installing the same PPG glass without the Lexus logo for $265. My insurance told me they will cover upt to $750. I decided nto to file a claim and just pay $265 out of my own pocket, because my deductible is $250.

Another thing to remember, that a claim is a claim, regardless of what it is. If you become a PITA for them, they will not renew your policy next time. It happened to a friend of mine, his insurance refused to renew the policy after he started filing comprehencive claims one after another. And he had been with them for 16 years!
Old 07-24-09, 05:14 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Corey, that hair line carck will get bigger over time. I would just replace the windshield. I too would use a PPG or Pinkington glass, they are use in many oem cars. The most important part is to find a good installer, ask your Lexus dealer where they sub out their glass work and go there yourself.
Old 07-24-09, 06:25 AM
cmasten
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I agree, have it replaced, or the original crack will just reinvent its self and you will waste a bunch of cycles in the long run. I had the dealer pick the installer and its as good as new.
Old 07-24-09, 07:33 AM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

stay away from aftermarket windshields. I had mine replaced with PPG but distortion was bad. If possible keep your original windshield. If you're replacing only accept OEM, not 'OEM quality' crap.
Old 07-24-09, 08:34 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by KA8
stay away from aftermarket windshields. I had mine replaced with PPG but distortion was bad. If possible keep your original windshield. If you're replacing only accept OEM, not 'OEM quality' crap.
Lol, PPG make original windows for many car manufacturers, the car manufacturer just put their own stamp on it. Do you think Lexus have their own glass making factory? Even original windshield sometimes have distortion on it, its called factory defects, it happens.
Old 07-24-09, 08:35 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Corey, that hair line carck will get bigger over time. I would just replace the windshield. I too would use a PPG or Pinkington glass, they are use in many oem cars. The most important part is to find a good installer, ask your Lexus dealer where they sub out their glass work and go there yourself.
not true. if they have inserted glue in there, the crack will not grow. that's the idea of repairing cracked windshield. mine was cracked and repaired / glued about 19 months ago and it hasn't grown at all ever since.
Old 07-24-09, 09:59 AM
KA8
Instructor

Lol, PPG make original windows for many car manufacturers, the car manufacturer just put their own stamp on it. Do you think Lexus have their own glass making factory? Even original windshield sometimes have distortion on it, its called factory defects, it happens.
Yea I've heard of that. My Z has PPG ones w/o Nissan name on it and it's great. I thought it was OEM. Maybe few years ago quality was good, maybe I was unlucky with my aftermarket PPg on my SC. PPG may make windshields for lexus or whoever but I doubt that they make it identical. When they put Lexus logo, it is there for a reason and cost difference speaks for itself. I went through two brands with my SC, FYG and PPG, and they both sucked. I'm on my third windshield that I got from a junkyard. I thought it was oem but it was FYG but this one was not bad. Still debating whether I should go OEM through insurance.

BTW PPG doesn't make windshields for Lexus, I've seen it with Toyota logo. Asahi makes windshields for lexus and I'll be more than happy to try them out if they sell aftermarket Asahi units.

Last edited by KA8; 07-24-09 at 10:03 AM.
Old 07-24-09, 10:03 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by KA8
Yea I've heard of that. My Z has PPG ones w/o Nissan name on it and it's great. I thought it was OEM. Maybe few years ago quality was good, maybe I was unlucky with my aftermarket PPg on my SC. PPG may make windshields for lexus or whoever but I doubt that they make it identical. When they put Lexus logo, it is there for a reason and cost difference speaks for itself. I went through two brands with my SC, FYG and PPG, and they both sucked. I'm on my third windshield that I got from a junkyard. I thought it was oem but it was FYG but this one was not bad. Still debating whether I should go OEM through insurance.
The Lexus battery cost 50% more than a regular battery and it is not better.
Old 07-24-09, 10:04 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
not true. if they have inserted glue in there, the crack will not grow. that's the idea of repairing cracked windshield. mine was cracked and repaired / glued about 19 months ago and it hasn't grown at all ever since.
If you have a crack or can see a stress line, glue cannot get in there and the everyday stress from driving will cause the line to get bigger.
Old 07-24-09, 11:13 AM
KA8
Instructor

The Lexus battery cost 50% more than a regular battery and it is not better.

Don't understand why you're bringing up battery here. I'd choose aftermarket battery too. So what? I thought all windshields were same that's why I chose aftermarket but big mistake.
Old 07-24-09, 11:30 AM
GS300.ru
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't go with the other makes substitutes, it is never going to be better than original. If you could live with the repair, do it because the newly installed glass will never be sitting as good as factory install.
Old 07-24-09, 11:39 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i hate insurance companies.

you pay thousands and thousands. and they can't even pony up 1 thousand to help you out.

damn crooks. there needs to be a law against this crap
Old 07-24-09, 12:05 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by KA8
Don't understand why you're bringing up battery here. I'd choose aftermarket battery too. So what? I thought all windshields were same that's why I chose aftermarket but big mistake.
I bought up batteries to make a point that original equipment is not always better than aftermarket, even if the original equipment cost more. Some people have distortion in their Lexus windshield too just like your PPG.
Old 07-24-09, 12:38 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

If you have a crack or can see a stress line, glue cannot get in there and the everyday stress from driving will cause the line to get bigger.
i will believe if my crack actually grows. i have know a few people with this kind of repair for years and they never grow. the use heat to melt the glude and let them flow into the cracks

Quick Reply: new windshield or accept repair?