GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

DIY: fender rolling thread and discussion

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-09, 12:34 AM
ek9vboi
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
sure! before you work on your rear fender maybe you can take some pics so people can compare what stock is like
From the dead!

Just did them in anticipation or new wheels soon. Actually I'm on some loaners for now, I'll post pictures up later but the new set up will be similar. Didn't take any pictures but its done. Did a good job I might say.
Old 11-04-09, 08:44 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

awesome man, can't wait to see your new wheels. seems like everything went well
Old 11-05-09, 12:40 AM
ek9vboi
Lexus Champion

awesome man, can't wait to see your new wheels. seems like everything went well
Still have to work on the fronts, I am guessing for now all that's required is a heat gun but I need to find a fender roller.
Old 11-05-09, 08:29 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by ek9vboi
Still have to work on the fronts, I am guessing for now all that's required is a heat gun but I need to find a fender roller.
hey some teaser pics will help!
Old 11-05-09, 01:00 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I am excited to see what you picked and to see how well it fits. Congrats man. New wheels are always exciting. I just hate picking them. I always seem to stress the choice I make for weeks before I finally pull the trigger
Old 11-05-09, 05:41 PM
ek9vboi
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I am excited to see what you picked and to see how well it fits. Congrats man. New wheels are always exciting. I just hate picking them. I always seem to stress the choice I make for weeks before I finally pull the trigger
Not exactly new, the ones I am on right now anyways. It's a temporary set, but boy do they ride nice and quiet! I'll have a teaser up but that will be it till I get the coilovers and lower the car more.

My actual set that is being ordered/made will be by MC3 wheels, that will be a shocker from the left field.
Old 11-05-09, 08:43 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Speaking of quiet, I removed the Tanabe exhaust recently and I am loving it
Old 02-09-10, 01:21 PM
beez43
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

as far as the rear fenders, did you guys shave it all the way down so that there is no little edge? Wouldnt that shave off the weld spots of the quarterpanels and you can potentially split them?
Old 02-09-10, 02:34 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

in my case, i shave it all the way. well maybe 1mm left. i don't know exactly where the weld point is, but i didn't encounter any problem.
Old 02-09-10, 05:39 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^ Yea I probably have the same left on mine...

You can PM Gytis123 and he can tell you where the welds are and what to look out for. He may even have some pics from my car or others that he has done.
Old 02-15-10, 07:40 PM
beez43
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

awesome and thanks guys for the input.. just had mines done and it looks clean.. however the fronts werent done because the guy couldnt figure out how to keep the lining there when the tabs are rolled in.. but now that i read the first post more carefully, ill attempt that myself since a friend has a heat gun... now i just need new rims..
Old 02-15-10, 11:00 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by beez43
awesome and thanks guys for the input.. just had mines done and it looks clean.. however the fronts werent done because the guy couldnt figure out how to keep the lining there when the tabs are rolled in.. but now that i read the first post more carefully, ill attempt that myself since a friend has a heat gun... now i just need new rims..
glad it helps. but yes, the key is, put the lining behind the tab and roll things get very tight
Old 02-16-10, 12:26 PM
ek9vboi
Lexus Champion

glad it helps. but yes, the key is, put the lining behind the tab and roll things get very tight
I actually cut off that tab near the front fender, it was getting in the way of my rolling since it's toward the front that rubs. Now what to do with that bracket that holds the headlight in place... any ideas Henry??
Old 02-16-10, 02:37 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

I actually cut off that tab near the front fender, it was getting in the way of my rolling since it's toward the front that rubs. Now what to do with that bracket that holds the headlight in place... any ideas Henry??
lol dude, stop riding so low i am curious, in your case, without those tabs, how do you hold the lining in place? wouldn't it kind of left hanging a bit?

regarding the brackets, i suppose you mean the lining is completely worn off exposing the bracket? how often do you rub? i am not sure if i have a good solution for that case, if anything i think a relatively big metal plate around the area to basically smooth out the rubbing might be the only way to go?
Old 02-18-10, 01:47 PM
ek9vboi
Lexus Champion

lol dude, stop riding so low i am curious, in your case, without those tabs, how do you hold the lining in place? wouldn't it kind of left hanging a bit?

regarding the brackets, i suppose you mean the lining is completely worn off exposing the bracket? how often do you rub? i am not sure if i have a good solution for that case, if anything i think a relatively big metal plate around the area to basically smooth out the rubbing might be the only way to go?
I learned the hard way when I was rolling the fronts. At a certain point when rolling, the tab got in the way which sort of forced the fender roller to push/pull it out further. If I would have known, I would have bent the tab forward, away from the fender and then roll instead of rolling and then the tab pushing into the fender itself.

Riding low? All the wheels I've been on have had weak offsets. Maybe it's my tire selection and the width of the rim. No stretch, which in turn could be a reason. Also, keep in mind that I've been on DF210s all this time till recently. Now I'm around a 3" or so drop.

Might have to cut the bracket and relocate the bolt holding the bumper. I don't know how those guys with agressive offsets and chucky tires do it. Oh yeah, can't for get riding low.

Quick Reply: DIY: fender rolling thread and discussion