GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Extended Warranty Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-09, 08:43 AM
Flynlow
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extended Warranty Suggestions?

Anybody have experience or knowledge of "bumper to bumper" warranties and which is best?
I've got a 06 GS300 with 45k on it. It's 4th birthday is coming up which means no more warranty. Being there has been little change in the GS line, I wouldn't replace it with another GS as I feel it's senseless to give 50+ for the same car I already have. Except for the warranty expiration, I'd be happy keeping it for a couple more years (No car payments) and possibly a model update.
Old 07-25-09, 09:14 AM
DCNASER
Pole Position

I have the same car with 58K. I purchased the car and an extended warranty that would cover everything: electrical, chases, engine, trans, ....... It is called the reserve plan, purchased from AUL warranty. I have one small issue and took it to a certified mechanic and paid nothing. Even though the factory power train is up to 70K, I still did not want to take any chances. It cost me $1700 for the extended warranty, up to q 100K miles. To me it is worth it being a female. You can also purchase cheaper ones from the same company. Check it out: AUL vehicle warranty. I am usre there are many other warranty companies out there.
Old 07-25-09, 02:25 PM
Flynlow
Rookie

Thanks DCNASER, I'll keep AUL in mind. I was hoping to get input on the Lexus extended warranties. I'm sure I'll be told a lot by the ones trying to sell the warranty and thats why I'm hoping to hear from those who may have had an experience using them, wether it be good or bad.
Old 07-25-09, 03:23 PM
migoylim
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Flynlow
Thanks DCNASER, I'll keep AUL in mind. I was hoping to get input on the Lexus extended warranties. I'm sure I'll be told a lot by the ones trying to sell the warranty and thats why I'm hoping to hear from those who may have had an experience using them, wether it be good or bad.
Better get it now before you reach your 50k or else they won't sell it if you are over 50K. You need to talk to the financial manager for your extended warranty. It will cost you around $2000 to $2200 for 7yrs or 100k miles payable in 18 months. I got mine recently and its very convenient to buy it from lexus because- no questions ask if you have a problem with your car.
Old 07-25-09, 03:44 PM
Flynlow
Rookie

I'll hit the 4 year mark before the 50k. The Lexus Platinum is around 2400 for 7/100k (online quote) in my area, which is acceptable if it's exactly like the 4/50k warranty. I like the loaner car while in for recalls or repairs, if that still applies with their extended warranty.
Old 07-25-09, 06:44 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

I've heard that this is one of the best ones out there:
https://www.warrantydirect.com/
Old 07-25-09, 09:39 PM
slk_dds
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Flynlow
Anybody have experience or knowledge of "bumper to bumper" warranties and which is best?
I've got a 06 GS300 with 45k on it. It's 4th birthday is coming up which means no more warranty. Being there has been little change in the GS line, I wouldn't replace it with another GS as I feel it's senseless to give 50+ for the same car I already have. Except for the warranty expiration, I'd be happy keeping it for a couple more years (No car payments) and possibly a model update.
Just sent you a PM!!!

Don't bother with the Warranty Direct, it cost more than if you purchase it directly from Lexus at full price ($2,200 vs. $2,800)!!!

Last edited by slk_dds; 07-25-09 at 09:47 PM.
Old 07-25-09, 10:32 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I was offered an extended warranty for my GS bumper to bumper for 100k for $2300 from a local Lexus dealership
Old 07-26-09, 09:15 AM
Flynlow
Rookie

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I was offered an extended warranty for my GS bumper to bumper for 100k for $2300 from a local Lexus dealership
Did you get it and, if so, have you used it? I hope it's identical to the 4/50. Just hoping that someone that has it could confirm this. I'd really like to keep the car, but, there is no way I'd keep it without a warranty. It's had it's share of problems so I'd probably give the Audi S5 a look if this warranty thing doesn't work out.
Old 07-26-09, 09:56 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would suggest to stick with the Lexus one if you can get it. I have never purchased these before but I know people that have had bad luck with these 3rd party companies.

being you are under the 4yr/50k I would think any Lexus dealer can get you taken care of. Probably more money but well worth it in the long run.
Old 07-26-09, 05:48 PM
Flynlow
Rookie

Originally Posted by passnu2
I would suggest to stick with the Lexus one if you can get it. I have never purchased these before but I know people that have had bad luck with these 3rd party companies.

being you are under the 4yr/50k I would think any Lexus dealer can get you taken care of. Probably more money but well worth it in the long run.
I'm learning more than I ever wanted to about these warranties. Turns out that the dealers will use 3rd party insurers at any time during the warranty period. Lexus included. Some will never pay out when you have a legitimate claim. Seems as though these extended warranties are full of "fine print" that can place any repair as non-payable. Got a bunch of phone calls to make during the week to try to sort this out, but it seems the future of my Lexus is looking pretty dismal. It's a d*mn shame to get rid of a almost perfectly good car because of the risk of the expense of repairs.
Old 07-26-09, 09:11 PM
Bushwack
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To a certain extent, the cost of a warranty is secondary. Speak with any established and respected independent repair shop and they will tell you buy an extended warranty offered by the manufacturer (which could be different then offered by the dealer). In this case, make sure it has the LEXUS (and not the name of the dealership) seal of approval.

With that said, odds of using an extended warranty on a mechanical repair is far slimmer then for an electronic glitch. And only Lexus (IMO) knows their cars better then anyone else when it comes to electrical issues. So...make the right decision and get an authorized Lexus approved extended warranty.
Old 07-27-09, 07:43 AM
jre002
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Even with the modifications you have done? Did they say that they would just void the warranty for your suspension and exhaust while covering everything else? I would just be worried that they would blame any old thing on the modifications even if they weren't the cause.

So what did they say? Thanks.
Old 07-27-09, 11:10 AM
sprintz
Rookie

There's a dude named Toby Rivers who is a Lexus Dealer and offers the cheapest "real lexus" extended warranty. My lexus dealer couldn't touch his quote. He's been mentioned on Club Lexus. Just Google or search for him here.
Old 07-27-09, 11:25 AM
GS300.ru
Pole Position

It is not too late to purchase an extended Lexus warranty which is absolutely identical to original. I would only recommend that one. With the other independent warranties they will always twist your hands with approvals, loaners and selection of shops. I got one for $1700 at time of signing 9 month ago. $2000 sounds very reasonable. My RX has an independent coverage and I don’t even want to read about deductibles and limitations they are listing.

Quick Reply: Extended Warranty Suggestions?