GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Does your GS drip water when the a/c is on?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-09, 06:40 PM
ECUgs430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes

dont mess with the humidity in nc!
Old 07-30-09, 08:51 PM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

OK, I parked my car and ran the a/c for 15 mins...not a drop under the car...inside the car is dry....I am pretty sure I am plugged up...maybe I will mention it at the next service but I dont want to pay for the repair especially since the carpet is dry in the car...
Old 07-30-09, 09:04 PM
greyhndfan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EyeKutr
OK, I parked my car and ran the a/c for 15 mins...not a drop under the car...inside the car is dry....I am pretty sure I am plugged up...maybe I will mention it at the next service but I dont want to pay for the repair especially since the carpet is dry in the car...
I did the same thing and not a drop of water on the garage or the passenger area. The water has to go some where.. I still had them check it b/c it is odd that I didn't get any water. They checked it and confirmed that I was blocked. If you're under warranty tell them you smell some odor in the car and believe you have some moisture somewhere. Suggest it's due to blocked HVAC lines. This will queue them to check it.
Old 07-30-09, 09:38 PM
cmasten
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by EyeKutr
with doors open so its really having to work hard? I notice nothing with the doors closed (air intake is set to outside), but it really comes falling out when I run it with the doors open. Worth a try.
Old 07-30-09, 11:08 PM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Originally Posted by cmasten
with doors open so its really having to work hard? I notice nothing with the doors closed (air intake is set to outside), but it really comes falling out when I run it with the doors open. Worth a try.
i will try it....I am out of warranty though....
Old 07-31-09, 06:54 AM
cmasten
Lead Lap

I was concerned too, as all my other vehicles were dripping water on the garage floor , but not the GS. I dont know why it does what it does, but I was relieved to know that drain was not blocked it just took a lot of processing for the system to collect and release the water. I am hoping yours flushes out too.

There is a TSB I found last night that covers the entire 2006 year for GS for drain issues, so maybe your warranty wont be an issue if it is blocked. I am guessing you havn't pushed it hard enough to notice the water, at least that was my experience and I live in your general area and have a 300 from 06.
Old 07-31-09, 08:59 AM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

I figure since the inside of the car never ever has flooded or seem damp, it must be fine, just paranoia, I would just hate to have my interior ruined if there is a blockage...IMO there is no way you should have to have something replaced if it is prone to bloackage over time....just open it up and clean it up I would say...you are good for another few years. Just because something is not designed perfectly well, it does not always have to be replaced with the better unit, especially if it is not covered
Old 07-31-09, 03:05 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I was concerned too, as all my other vehicles were dripping water on the garage floor , but not the GS. I dont know why it does what it does, but I was relieved to know that drain was not blocked it just took a lot of processing for the system to collect and release the water. I am hoping yours flushes out too.

There is a TSB I found last night that covers the entire 2006 year for GS for drain issues, so maybe your warranty wont be an issue if it is blocked. I am guessing you havn't pushed it hard enough to notice the water, at least that was my experience and I live in your general area and have a 300 from 06.
That TSB says you have to get it done during the warranty period.
Old 07-31-09, 03:22 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I am going to be on a lift next wednesday to install the sways. Since we will have the covers off I will check this and see if I can find what is going on and what we need to clear it up. The tech will help me and let me know if there is something we can do. I will report back on this.
Old 07-31-09, 04:44 PM
GS2006
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by STP
I just completed this AC Evap Drain Block for an 2006 GS300 AWD. under AC7011

I finally read from this forum regarding an open TSB AC7011, and also checked my carpets. THE ENTIRE carpet area driver, pass, and 2 backs were SOAKED, Heavily soaked!!!!

Maybe you can help. There is tick padding on the gs and on top of that is laid the carpet. It appears it would take a lot of water leakage before the padding get soaked enough for the owner to notice. Where you able to see the water dripping/running out from the bottom of the dash around the passenger side? How about the carpet up high close to the undercarriage of the dash? Looks like the key is early detection.
Thanks in advance.
Old 07-31-09, 08:26 PM
STP
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GS2006
Maybe you can help. There is tick padding on the gs and on top of that is laid the carpet. It appears it would take a lot of water leakage before the padding get soaked enough for the owner to notice. Where you able to see the water dripping/running out from the bottom of the dash around the passenger side? How about the carpet up high close to the undercarriage of the dash? Looks like the key is early detection.
Thanks in advance.

Early detection is key here. I didn't check under the car until it was too late.
I noticed there was barely any water drip from running the AC for hours. I would drive from NY to NJ, and back and went to park with maybe droplets of water. The carpet by the dash area wasn't "soaked" but damp, not sure if thats from spreading. Didn't see any water dripping either.
From checking the Lexus website and the service records when I acquired the car in 10/08 and I noticed the smell, it seems like this went undetected for at least a year before that date.
Lexus won't release the photos they took of the mold/mildew but from description it was REALLY bad, and would have me believe it was like that for some time.
Let me know how else I can help.
Old 07-31-09, 08:57 PM
cmasten
Lead Lap

so it looks like the TSB AC003-07 is only good for 48 months or 50k miles, this is the 2nd edition, looks like it was updated on Feb 29th of 2008.

Would a CPO vehicle then be covered till 7 years or 100k miles?
Old 08-01-09, 06:24 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

so it looks like the TSB AC003-07 is only good for 48 months or 50k miles, this is the 2nd edition, looks like it was updated on Feb 29th of 2008.

Would a CPO vehicle then be covered till 7 years or 100k miles?
Better check with your dealer on that. It seems like it should be covered but these days, you never know. Lexus customer service is declining, some dealerships are owned by greedy rich people who don't care...you just can't be sure of anything now.

I'm at the dealer right now getting mine checked. Got 47.5K on the odo and want to make sure it's okay.
Old 08-02-09, 03:49 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Well, I got mine checked and they said there is normal drainage. I still wanna know where that water is going cause I sure don't see it on the ground.
My GS350 makes puddles on the ground but the GS300 doesn't. I don't like it but as long as I made the complaint, they have to fix it if something happens later. Then I will pitch a major fit and they will regret the day they met me.
Old 08-02-09, 08:42 PM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Ice350
Well, I got mine checked and they said there is normal drainage. I still wanna know where that water is going cause I sure don't see it on the ground.
My GS350 makes puddles on the ground but the GS300 doesn't. I don't like it but as long as I made the complaint, they have to fix it if something happens later. Then I will pitch a major fit and they will regret the day they met me.
You know I dont know the mechanics or the physics of the drainage...perhaps there is insulation on the pipes that get condensation to build up on them. It must be normal for this as I have had my car since may 07 and I regularly use the a/c. Perhaps I missed some of the drainage and perhaps since we dont have much humidity it does not drip much but our GX drips like hell....

Quick Reply: Does your GS drip water when the a/c is on?