GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Does your GS drip water when the a/c is on?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-09, 09:43 PM
GS2006
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As cmasten suggests, for a faster collection of water off the evaporator coils, open the doors. You can leave the AC on re-circulate. The hotter more humid the air will cause water to form faster when air moves across the evaporator coils. If you are in AZ with 5% humidity, you may not see any at all.

There is a series of weep holes located behind the oil pan and behind the three triangle slots. Here is where you most likely will see condensation drain from 3GS:

Here is a picture of condensation draining out of a GS430 with doors open that started about 6-8 minutes after starting the car when the outside air was 88 deg with a fair amount of humidity.

For those that get that dirty sock smell right when you start the car, do you leave the AC in re-circulate when you turn off your car?
Old 08-03-09, 06:02 AM
STP
Rookie

So the car has been running fine since getting it back from the dealer. I've noticed some water drops. How much? Not sure yet, I have to wait for the next dry day to try it. Over the weekend everytime I had a chance to check it out, it was pouring out.

Regarding the smell when the car is first started, I get that even now? Is it recommended to turn the ac entirely off when shutting the car off?

For all the members that have their cars under warranty, have Lexus check the drainage. If there is a problem discovered early, they can fix it with no cost to you. Don't wait like I did, and end up shelling out a lot of money.

Thanks
Old 08-03-09, 06:58 AM
greyhndfan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GS2006,
Great pictures! Love the water drop, intentional or not but catching it at the moment of impact when it hits the floor was awesome!! I love photography.

YES!! Early detection is the key. If you’re under warranty have it checked and don’t wait till your carpets get wet. They will try to talk you out of it by saying you’re not exhibiting any issues. Tell them you smell something musty. That should be enough, worked for me. Lucky for me they confirmed that I was blocked and replaced everything out based on the TSB.
Old 08-03-09, 09:15 AM
LMN_Sins
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

most of the time the water drains as your driving so you dont see much water when you park.. but when using your ac you should leave the circulation button off to let the moister out so that you wont get a musty smell in your cabin area...
Old 08-03-09, 09:17 AM
LMN_Sins
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

and how hot it is out side also equals more condensation (water)
Old 08-03-09, 09:40 AM
STP
Rookie

Originally Posted by LMNis250
most of the time the water drains as your driving so you dont see much water when you park.. but when using your ac you should leave the circulation button off to let the moister out so that you wont get a musty smell in your cabin area...
Sorry for a retarded questions. So before I shut the car off at any given point during my day. I should turn the AC entirely off, as well as hit the button with the picture of the air circulating in the cabin only?
OR
Shut AC off, and hit button where the pic shows air coming from outside?
LOL, sounds retarded, but any help is appreciated.
Thanks
Old 08-03-09, 10:36 AM
GS2006
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by STP
Sorry for a retarded questions. So before I shut the car off at any given point during my day. I should turn the AC entirely off, as well as hit the button with the picture of the air circulating in the cabin only?
OR
Shut AC off, and hit button where the pic shows air coming from outside?
LOL, sounds retarded, but any help is appreciated.
Thanks
It’s not turning off the AC. It is turning off the re-circulate (the mode that circulates the air from the cabin instead of pulling air from the outside. The thought here that if you turn the car off with the AC mode that pulls air from the outside:

When the cars engine is turned off and left in closed circulation, the vent doors stay closed allowing the condensation to stagnate.
Steps to Help Dry Out the Water Condensation
1. A few minutes before turning the cars engine off, set air conditioning controls to open circulation (circulation button or normal air mode).
2. Turn the car’s engine off and leave air conditioning controls in open circulation mode.
3. When turning on the air conditioner, leave it on outside circulation for a few minutes Leave the air on open circulation as much as possible while driving.
This is the theory anyway.

This year I have started noticing the smelly sock smell for the first five seconds or so the AC is on. Almost always when this has happened the car has been sitting for three or four days without being started. If algae and fungus grows to much, it can clog the drain.
Hope this helps
Old 08-03-09, 10:41 AM
STP
Rookie

Originally Posted by GS2006
It’s not turning off the AC. It is turning off the re-circulate (the mode that circulates the air from the cabin instead of pulling air from the outside. The thought here that if you turn the car off with the AC mode that pulls air from the outside:

When the cars engine is turned off and left in closed circulation, the vent doors stay closed allowing the condensation to stagnate.
Steps to Help Dry Out the Water Condensation
1. A few minutes before turning the cars engine off, set air conditioning controls to open circulation (circulation button or normal air mode).
2. Turn the car’s engine off and leave air conditioning controls in open circulation mode.
3. When turning on the air conditioner, leave it on outside circulation for a few minutes Leave the air on open circulation as much as possible while driving.
This is the theory anyway.

This year I have started noticing the smelly sock smell for the first five seconds or so the AC is on. Almost always when this has happened the car has been sitting for three or four days without being started. If algae and fungus grows to much, it can clog the drain.
Hope this helps
I'll give that method a try, anything is better than the current condition. It really sucks living in the Northeast with the humid summers. Thanks for the tip.
Old 08-03-09, 11:42 AM
3m ta3
Lead Lap

I left the car running for about 6 or 7 mins

and yes it is hot as hell outside! With the re-circulate on,no water drops
Old 08-03-09, 12:00 PM
GS2006
Lead Lap

^^
Your pic shows re-circulate off,
and Auto Mode selected.
Did you have your doors open?

Move it to re-circulate mode and open your doors.
Put the fan on HIGH
In south FL, you should get water fast with all that humid air

I suspect if the drain is clogged, and you do this, you will water draining inside around passenger firewall in no time.

Last edited by GS2006; 08-03-09 at 12:04 PM.
Old 08-03-09, 05:10 PM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Alright, finally got some drips from my car today, I have never been so excited to see my car leak any thing LOL
Old 08-03-09, 05:14 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^ haha thats too funny..now you have me worried:/ guess I will see when I install the sways this Wednesday....
Old 08-04-09, 12:38 PM
3m ta3
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GS2006
^^
Your pic shows re-circulate off,
and Auto Mode selected.
Did you have your doors open?

Move it to re-circulate mode and open your doors.
Put the fan on HIGH
In south FL, you should get water fast with all that humid air

I suspect if the drain is clogged, and you do this, you will water draining inside around passenger firewall in no time.
I put on re-circulate today,doors closed,fan high & water puddles under the car.
Old 08-04-09, 05:47 PM
MadDawg350
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sometimes for me. I've never paid attention to the weather conditions as to when water drains and when it doesn't. As long as I do not get back that musty smell, I'm fine. I had a problem with the musty smell in the past, the dealer did something to fix it more than just replacing the cabin filter. I'll have to check back through my service records to see exactly what was done.
Old 05-24-10, 12:23 PM
Sacs350
Driver School Candidate

Does anyone have a link to TSB AC7011? I must be searching in the wrong places, nonetheless, I can't find it.

I noticed a little dampness toward the end of last summer in my rear floorboard. Now, after running the AC for several hours on a trip to the Outer Banks of NC this weekend, I walked out to find nearly an inch of water in the passenger side rear floor board. I'm absolutely furious that I've never heard anything about this up until this point.

Can someone please send me a link to the TSB. Thanks so much!!!!

Cheers!

Quick Reply: Does your GS drip water when the a/c is on?