GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Brake Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-09 | 08:02 AM
yano
Driver School Candidate

Default Brake Rotors

I have a 2006 GS 300 All Wheel Drive with 70k miles

The dealer told me last week I needed new rear pads and some cam shaft bearing (its on a Service bulletin) today they called and said they tried to turn the rotors but they are too thin and now i Need new Rotors, they want over $350.

I went online to a car parts store

They have rotors for $78 up to $250 for performance ones.

Has anyone here changed their rotors? Any brands beter than others? Any brands to stay away from?

Thanks
Old 07-28-09 | 08:24 AM
jre002
Lexus Test Driver

If you are driving under normal conditions, just get the OEM rotors.
Old 07-28-09 | 08:42 AM
spine911
Lead Lap

Brake jobs are services NOT worth bringing to the $tealer.

Have the $tealer change the pads only.

Go find a good Indy shop for the rotor replacement, and get quotes for Labor + Parts; Labor Only + your part, then compare....either way youll save $$$.

Not unless im looking to upgrade to performance slotted/drilled rotors , i would personally hunt for OEM ones, or go to your local Auto Zone.

*Auto Zone has FREE LIFETIME WARRANTY on certain brake pads; my daily beater gets FREE new pads everytime- i just turn in the old pads back to AutoZone ,and they give me a new one*

Last edited by spine911; 07-28-09 at 08:48 AM.
Old 07-28-09 | 09:15 AM
telmz1
Lead Lap

I'm in the exact same situation - been researching for the last week. I just want to stick to blank rotors and I can't find any Brembo so I'm thinking about going with Rotora. I'm trying to decide between the pads: Axxis Ultimate, Hawk HPS, or Hawk Performance Ceramic.

I initially wanted to go with some slotted or cross drilled but considering my car is a daily driver and after reading so much about it - the consensus is they are just for looks and there are no long term benefits as you can't turn them as easily as blank ones.

Last edited by telmz1; 07-28-09 at 05:45 PM.
Old 07-28-09 | 08:47 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Stock Toyota/Lexus rotors will run you over $100 each from various online dealers. CL members get a 10% discount from Sewell Lexus. There are two non-OEM brands offered on Tirerack.com for less money but read the reviews from people who have bought/used them. Some favorable, some not.

Stock pads are virtually dustless. I can say first hand that Hawk Performance Ceramic pads create more dust than the stock pads. As a matter of fact, I am waiting for TireRack's shipment of Akebono ProACT ceramic pads to replace the Hawk Performance pads they sent me. I can't stand the dust build up. I have my fingers cross on the Akebono's. Akebono makes the Toyota/Lexus pads so hopefully they will be as dustless as stock.

As a matter of fact, if anyone that wants a set of slightly used (500 miles) Hawk Performance Ceramic Pads for the front and rear of a 2006 GS300 AWD at no charge.....just PM me.

Last point: The cam bearing is a known TSB. You will know it is going because the car makes a loud metallic scraping sound upon initial start up. There are several threads with links to youtube recordings of the sound. Do a search. Hopefully, the stealership is not charging you for this service as there is a TSB, the cam bearing should be part of the powertrain and the powertrain is warrantied for 75 or 80k miles.

steviej

Last edited by steviej; 07-28-09 at 08:51 PM.
Old 07-30-09 | 12:34 PM
AkebonoDC
Driver School Candidate

Smile

Steviej
I think you will be pleasantly surprised with the performance of our Akebono pads.I hate to put in a plug on my first post but I couldn't find an introduction thread. Please let me know how you like or dislike the Akebono pads and if you have any questions please contact me.
Yano,
About rotors.If you are in need of rotors I agree with the group.Find an aftermarket rotor that has a finish such as a double disk grinding ( not radial turned ) and you should be fine.Tirerack should offer a good rotor.I have personally used rotors from Autozone and had no issue.I hope that helps.
Old 08-17-09 | 08:43 PM
yano
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by steviej
Stock Toyota/Lexus rotors will run you over $100 each from various online dealers. CL members get a 10% discount from Sewell Lexus. There are two non-OEM brands offered on Tirerack.com for less money but read the reviews from people who have bought/used them. Some favorable, some not.

Stock pads are virtually dustless. I can say first hand that Hawk Performance Ceramic pads create more dust than the stock pads. As a matter of fact, I am waiting for TireRack's shipment of Akebono ProACT ceramic pads to replace the Hawk Performance pads they sent me. I can't stand the dust build up. I have my fingers cross on the Akebono's. Akebono makes the Toyota/Lexus pads so hopefully they will be as dustless as stock.

As a matter of fact, if anyone that wants a set of slightly used (500 miles) Hawk Performance Ceramic Pads for the front and rear of a 2006 GS300 AWD at no charge.....just PM me.

Last point: The cam bearing is a known TSB. You will know it is going because the car makes a loud metallic scraping sound upon initial start up. There are several threads with links to youtube recordings of the sound. Do a search. Hopefully, the stealership is not charging you for this service as there is a TSB, the cam bearing should be part of the powertrain and the powertrain is warrantied for 75 or 80k miles.

steviej
fantastic update to report!!!!

They said the rotors couldnt be turned because of a HARD SPOT or as they called it a defective rotor, so after talking to the service mgr, i said if its a defective rotor why isnt that covered under warranty?

He called me back in 5 minutes and said NO CHARGE, not just for the one rotor but BOTH rear rotors FREE OF CHARGE so all i had to do was pay for the brake pads which were worn out and he gave me 20% off of MSRP

the TSB was covered under warranty

The brake rotors were not in stock so i drove around a 2010 RX for about a week, and to top it off i had two rims with severe curb rash, i bought two replacement wheels online and they even installed the rims for me free of charge and let me keep the loaner car until the rims arrived.

Couldnt be happier with my Service Dept