GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

9LC Service campaign Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-09, 12:09 PM
STP
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 9LC Service campaign Question

I had the car in with Lexus for some other work, and they performed the 9LC campaign already.
I got the car last night, and the alignment is off. Driving straight, the steering is slightly to the left.

Question is, when the 9LC is done is an alignment usually done on the dealers end? And if so, I can just bring this back and have them correct it at no charge to me right?

Thanks
Old 07-29-09, 12:37 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

9LC is the steering rack recall? if so then i can see that the car is still aligned (in terms of wheels) but the steering wheel not centered. seems like what you are seeing now. just go back and they can adjust it (adjust the positioning of the steering wheel)
Old 07-29-09, 12:39 PM
STP
Rookie

hey romin, to the rescue again.

9lc is the steering rack one. Sounds like an easy one. Is this something they can do relatively quick or will a drop off have to do? Great, i get the loaner for another day then.
Old 07-29-09, 12:43 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 210 Likes on 144 Posts

which model/model years does the 9LC apply to?
Old 07-29-09, 12:45 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by STP
hey romin, to the rescue again.

9lc is the steering rack one. Sounds like an easy one. Is this something they can do relatively quick or will a drop off have to do? Great, i get the loaner for another day then.
well, last time (quite a while ago already) i brought my car for alignment (not at dealership), came out straight but steering wheel was not centered. they took it in and 2-3 mins later car came back out everything perfect. so i assume it's not something very hard

now how long does it take dealership when you take it back, that's another story
Old 07-29-09, 01:25 PM
STP
Rookie

so this sounds like something that a non-dealer can do? If i know someone thats a mechanic can they center this? I hate the hassle of driving to and from the dealer, when my friend is only 5 min. away.

Thanks

Hey jtrue,
2006 LEXUS GS300
Service Campaign 9LC:
CERTAIN 2006 - 2007 GS, IS AND RX400H VEHICLES, ELECTRIC POWER STEERING LINK (EPS) ASSEMBLY REPLACEMENT

This is an important Special Service Campaign. Please contact your authorized Lexus dealer to make an appointment to replace the electric power steering link (EPS) assembly as soon as possible.
Old 07-29-09, 01:57 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

i'd imagine so? i don't have the exact idea what they did so...

Trending Topics

Old 07-29-09, 02:43 PM
TWong350

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the steering rack was replaced, then yes, they MUST align it and it will affect your steering wheel. Having your steering wheel crooked after alignment could happen and is very common but, it's an easy fix of adjusting the tie rods. Chances are they did align it. They'd be nuts not to.
Old 07-29-09, 02:56 PM
STP
Rookie

ok then, looks like another trip back to LExus. This time i'm drinking the whole pot of coffee. lol
Old 07-29-09, 05:07 PM
GS2006
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by STP
ok then, looks like another trip back to LExus. This time i'm drinking the whole pot of coffee. lol
I did not see what kind of car you have, GS300, GS430, AWD??

Anyway, sounds like your toe is off. Did they give you a print out of the alignment?
If not, ask for it. Included in the campaign is a FOUR wheel alignment. Four wheel alignment is important and toe is the only adjustment they can make on this car.

Now to moving the steering wheel, that can be done on the GS430, but not sure about the GS300. When they do the campaign they are suppose to secure the steering wheel before removing the rack. They may not have done that so it is possible that is an issue, but unless they show you the print out of the alignment there is no way to be sure. I believe they have to save that information for the recall since they get paid for it. What they do to move the steering wheel electronically is hook up the computer (looks like a rugged laptop) and then they can disengage the wheel (not from the rack) and make small adjustments. This procedure is not in the TSB Champaign bulletin for some reason.

How far off is the steering wheel?
Old 07-29-09, 07:17 PM
STP
Rookie

Its a 2006 GS300 AWD.

Looking at the paperwork returned, it doesn't show anything with an alignment performed. Just the campaign 9LC power steering rack.

Steering wheel is off a bit to the left, I would say 1 in. to the left from center. Steering also feels different, but that may be due to driving the loaner ES for 2 weeks.
I'll give them a call tomorrow, and see what they say, hopefully this can be done before weekend, and without anything out my pocket.

Now, in case they feed me some BS lines, what do I have to ask them was done during the service campaign?

THanks so much
Old 07-29-09, 08:50 PM
GS2006
Lead Lap

“ES for 2 weeks.”
This sounds suspect right of the bat. This is a one day job tops. For the gs300awd they get 4.3 hours for labor including the alignment. They get reimbursed for the rental (loaner) for the repair. They should not take your car if they do not have the part. You also get a tank of gas courtesy of the campaign when your car is returned to you (Lexus pays for the tank of gas not the dealer). Did they give that to you? If they did not, they have not built any trust and then you have to question the alignment. Why did they have your car for so long?

The alignment not showing on the invoice does not surprise me as the alignment is part of the 9LC.
However, they should inspect and drive the car. It appears they did not since the wheel is not straight and they did not note it being off. (another item not building trust).

First, there should not be any charge to you. The only BS I can think they could try is for them to blame your tires, but that does not fly.

I can only think of two items that could cause this: either the toe alignment is off or they did not secure the wheel before they removed the rack.

Others may have their own way to approach this situation, but this is how I would approach:

Call and make an appointment but do not say anything about the print out of the alignment. You don’t want to give them a chance to find any random print out.

When you show up for your appointment, ask the advisor to speak to the lead tech. Once the lead tech comes out to talk to you, ask him to see the print out of your alignment and discuss your wheel being off center. (Hopefully the advisor and lead tech will go no problem we have that in your file).. This is a little test to see if they indeed have it and you can watch and go with them keeping them in sight to make sure they don’t get some random print out. Hopefully they are legit and he gets the file and shows you. There is a good chance there is no info on the print out that links the alignment to your car. So, check the date on the print out and make sure it matches the time frame they worked on your car. The alignment is one of the last procedures they perform on your car so keep that in mind when you check the date. If they fail to provide a record and results of the alignment, request them to redo at no charge because it “appears” the toe is out. If they say, well we can just move the wheel; say no because you have no confidence the toe is aligned correctly on the front and back. If the car is aligned, it only takes five minutes to put it on the rack and hit read, so they should not give you any grief for that request.

If your toe is off real bad, your ties will be toast in no time.

If you are confident they are legit and you are seeing “your car’s” printout, then you may be safe with a steering wheel adjustment (which may not even be an option on the 300??).

The print out will look something like:

Hope this helps
Old 07-29-09, 10:29 PM
TWong350

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Right on the money except that the toe could be ok and the steering wheel off-centered if they did lock the steering wheel straight during the alignment. Toe is your worst enemy when it comes to alignment.
Old 07-30-09, 02:01 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I have had my alignment and wheel straightened at a local tuner shop ( dynocomp) and they did a great job. should be no issue to get sorted
Old 07-30-09, 05:25 AM
STP
Rookie

I had some extensive AC clog work done, and a whole mold/mildew issue that i'll post up beginning to end result on another thread.

So i'll just make another appointment. I'm not sure regarding the trust issue here. The advisor, and service manager i worked with did a lot for me on the AC issue, but that was after I contacted Lexus corp. and they got involved. Lexus corp. and the dealer split half of the bill with me for the AC work.

Not sure why they took it upon themselves to do the campaign, as I was told when 9LA, and 9LB were complete that the steering was fine on my car. So I definitely have that as my case.

Thank each and every one of you for the help.

I'll post up once I complete the service.

Thanks again

Quick Reply: 9LC Service campaign Question