GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Sound system sound level settings

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-09 | 11:16 PM
gridlock13
Lead Lap

Default Sound system sound level settings

what level does everyone keep theirs at? i have bass at 2, mids at 3 and treble at 5. i'd like to know what's the maximum i can keep them at while preserving the life of the speakers as much as possible. btw i have don't have the ML sound system.
Old 08-13-09 | 04:41 AM
THE.K.W.C
Pole Position

y do u have so much treble.... i keep my dids up the highest the bass then treble
Old 08-13-09 | 07:18 AM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

I have bass > treble > mids lol...
Old 08-13-09 | 08:16 AM
jonnyxboi
Pole Position

i'm with yang
Old 08-13-09 | 08:18 AM
vuiskool
Instructor

I have treb 4 mids 3 bass 4. On aux when I use my blackberry bass is at 5
Old 08-13-09 | 09:48 AM
gridlock13
Lead Lap

someone told me a long time ago that bass sound levels should never be over 20%. treb is fine and can be put up at maximum but when listened at that level it just sounded too high. if anyone with more knowledge on sound systems knows something please chime in.
Old 08-13-09 | 10:35 AM
spezz
Driver School Candidate

I keep the same settings as Gridlock. I do adjust a bit depending on music I'm listening to. You just can't have great bass clarity on a factory system even though the ML in my opinion is a very good "factory" system.
Old 08-13-09 | 12:44 PM
cmasten
Lead Lap

25 years of audio engineering, and Im convinced that in a vehicle its completly subjective, I guess it is anywhere, but very much so in a moving, noise generating environment like a car.

I actually was drawn to the GS and LS because of the sound I experienced in my wifes SC. I have the ML system in both, just a superb set up for my taste. Its well designed, DSP to take all the signals to the back digital, so no analog interference like you so often get with cars and adding on after market amps and eqs. It has plenty of power on demand.. more important than the rated RMS value that everyone seems to focus on and the quality of the drivers and the way they acoustically matched it all together is impressive. Its important to start off with high quality source material, or any system will sound like crud and force you to start to tweek the eq to see if you can fix it.

I find that the the DSP is fun to turn on at times depending on source material, it adds a spatialness to the music that is interesting and entertaining. Most of the time its off but nice to have when the need calls. I add treble, to adjust for the loss in high freq that my age dictates, but to my kids flat is just fine, again with the right source material.

In the end there is no right way, its whatever your listening to and how you perceive it and your taste, as long as you enjoy it, that is all that matters.

Last edited by cmasten; 08-13-09 at 12:48 PM.
Old 08-13-09 | 01:05 PM
cmasten
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by spezz
I keep the same settings as Gridlock. I do adjust a bit depending on music I'm listening to. You just can't have great bass clarity on a factory system even though the ML in my opinion is a very good "factory" system.
Bass quality in a car is again, relative. Low frequencies require more length or space to acuractly form, so achieving quality bass in the small volume of a car is difficult.

wavelength=velocity of sound divided by the frequency. So for example everyone talks about achieving 20, 50, 60 or even 80 HZ in their cars, but in reality 100hz has a wavelength of 11 feet (1100ft/sec divided by 100 HZ). longer than the distance from front to back window.

The way ML and Lexus designed their cars, the size of the drivers and their placement along with dynamic power to accuratly push the drivers on peaks makes for a very balanced and plesant experience IMO. Maybe not the punch of a boom box with a 1000 watt amp pushing it.. but Ill take its clarity over punch, just my preference however. For the record I listen to everything from Riahanna to Nickelback Michael Hedges and everything in between.
Old 08-13-09 | 04:09 PM
Slowride
Driver School Candidate

I have always had a preference for setting my mids at a couple notches lower than my bass with my treble a notch above my bass. It sounds cleaner and more natural to me, but as has been said already, it is very subjective, I tried various settings until I settled on what I use.

I am very impressed with the ML system as well. I don't consider myself to be an audiophile, but I know what I like.
Old 08-13-09 | 07:14 PM
mkbruce
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Slowride
I have always had a preference for setting my mids at a couple notches lower than my bass with my treble a notch above my bass. It sounds cleaner and more natural to me, but as has been said already, it is very subjective, I tried various settings until I settled on what I use.

I am very impressed with the ML system as well. I don't consider myself to be an audiophile, but I know what I like.
In my 08 GS350 with ML, I keep the treble and mids at 0 and bass at -1 with the DSP function off. Best sounding car system I have ever heard...... and I do consider myself a bit of an audiophile. Home system is Classe pre/pro with Classe amps feeding Mirage speakers all wired with Nordost cables. While the GS can't touch the sound of the home system, it is still very good.
Old 08-13-09 | 08:48 PM
yogregb
Driver

Originally Posted by mkbruce
In my 08 GS350 with ML, I keep the treble and mids at 0 and bass at -1 with the DSP function off. Best sounding car system I have ever heard...... and I do consider myself a bit of an audiophile. Home system is Classe pre/pro with Classe amps feeding Mirage speakers all wired with Nordost cables. While the GS can't touch the sound of the home system, it is still very good.
Congrats on your first post!
Old 08-15-09 | 12:26 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

trebile and mids at max and bass at 7 out of 10 because I like to bump house music
Old 08-15-09 | 06:12 AM
silo113
Rookie

Same setup as Slowrides. The only reason I knocked down the bass a notch is because I don't feel like a factory/free air sub can handle it.
Old 08-15-09 | 09:45 AM
pkp207
Driver School Candidate

Stupid question... what does mid mean and what does it do? Mine's set on 0.

I have Treble +3 and Bass +4... if a song already has a lot of bass then i change it to +3

Quick Reply: Sound system sound level settings