GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

V1 hookup, PS Bypass, VAIS SL2i-up and SL2xmt

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-09, 09:36 AM
twylie
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Default V1 hookup, PS Bypass, VAIS SL2i-up and SL2xmt

Got all of these installed and configured this morning with the help of the forum posts and How To's. I really appreciate it and would not have felt comfortable tackling it without the great info. I worked on and off for about 4 hours taking breaks and re-reading as needed.

V1 - tied into the cig lighter with the vampire tap, ran the wires under the drivers side dash and up the A pillar. Only visible wire is where it goes by he speaker on the dash. Not sure if I can wedge it down beside that.

PS Bypass - very straightforward and excellent instructions. No problem with the grey plug fitting. The one on the harness provided was exactly the same as what I removed - no trimming needed. I am getting the full 5 min of bypass.

SL2i-UP - had to configure it a few times to get it to take and start operating properly, but another easy to do. Tucked the control box along the drivers side and the ipod cable into the center console.

SL2xmt - tucked this along the pass side near the center channel and was able to fit the adapter box where the mini tuner plugs in under the pass side panel below the airbag. Reception was OK with the ant in the rear corner. Will experiment with some locatiosn toward the center and even outside the car if necessary.

Again, thanks for the helpful instructions and pictures to follow. Nice to have all my electronics installed and ready to roll.

Edit: If installing both VAIS units, you need to hook the first up, program it, then disconnect it. Then hook up the second and program it, then unplug half of it and loop the first unit back in. This sets each unit as the correct input and allows both Sat and CD Chgr in my vehicle - '06 GS430 w/ Nav&ML.

My inputs now go:
AM->Sat1->Sat2->Sat3->FM1->FM2->CD Chgr(iPod)->DVD Chgr->back to beginning

Since the 4th Gen Nav only supports playlists, I'm going to see if I can find a playlist builder for iTunes that will automatically build playlists for each album. Definitely kind of a kludge, but nice to be able to have the metadata on the screen while playing. I also found that Toast Titanium will create DVD Audio discs with menus and artwork, so even at PCM format, I can get 6 or 7 albums per disc in the factory changer. Will be good to keep my favorite 30+ albums in the car when movies aren't needed :-)

Last edited by twylie; 08-31-09 at 02:22 PM.
Old 08-13-09, 03:26 PM
Gs350Lola
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

to late for pics eh...
Old 08-13-09, 03:56 PM
Leeladisky
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=
Since the 4th Gen Nav only supports playlists, I'm going to see if I can find a playlist builder for iTunes that will automatically build playlists for each album. Definitely kind of a kludge, but nice to be able to have the metadata on the screen while playing. I also found that Toast Titanium will create DVD Audio discs with menus and artwork, so even at PCM format, I can get 6 or 7 albums per disc in the factory changer. Will be good to keep my favorite 30+ albums in the car when movies aren't needed :-)[/QUOTE]

Don't use iFumes, use: Mediamonkey

www.mediamonkey.com

Much better and will build your playlists!
Old 08-13-09, 07:09 PM
twylie
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Gs350Lola
to late for pics eh...
yeah, the pics are no different than the posts that are already on here, so no advantage to taking snaps along the way.

Originally Posted by Leeladisky
Don't use iFumes, use: Mediamonkey

www.mediamonkey.com

Much better and will build your playlists!
I found a key command to create playlists from albums that worked great for me. Took about 20 min to create all my albums as playlists and now works great using the factory controls. I had a spare 16GB iPod nano that worked out perfectly to throw in the console. Between that, the facotry changer and XM, I'm set for long road trips.