GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Help with OIL LEAK on 06' GS300-AWD TSB

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-09, 12:29 PM
joe_gunn
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Default Help with OIL LEAK on 06' GS300-AWD TSB

Dear Friends,

There is a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) on my 06' GS300-AWD regarding an oil leak. On my car the leak has been there since I bought it new. There is now 64,000 miles on the vehicle and I need to take the car in to the dealer before the 70,000 mile mark. (.pdf of the TSB is attached).

Since the fix requires a major engine overhaul can someone recommend what other engine components are worth replacing that are typically soon to fail and have the dealer replace/install them for free since the old ones need to come-off during the fix anyway?

I am thinking of buying parts like the Water Pump, Timing Belt, Fan Belt, etc… ?

Do you recommend Lexus OEM parts only, or are there quality off- the-shelf parts available to buy on the web?

Many thanks
Joe

Last edited by joe_gunn; 10-27-15 at 07:30 PM.
Old 08-14-09, 02:07 PM
spine911
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you describe in detail how this leak started, specifically where the leak started-location, amount of leak (drips, etc)...Thanks.

Considering your current miles; i would just replace the water pump (keep the old one as a spare), and belts (as you already mentioned).

Ive heard of a couple 06s with more miles (90k + miles) without any original part issues-it is a pretty solid car.
Old 08-14-09, 02:59 PM
joe_gunn
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Thank you for taking the time to help me out.
The oil leak originated on the upper passenger side of the engine - ever since I bought the car new. Its hard to say if its below the cylinder head or manifold cover. I usually see the smears during the oil changes in my garage, but the volume lost is not significant at all. This is why I waited so long until the warranty mileage is about to expire. Moreover, the required amount of work listed on the TSB seems like a major engine overhaul and scared the #$%#$ out of me. This is why I want to get the most out of this fix so as not to have to go in there once more for something like a water pump or timing belt.
Thanks much
J.
Old 08-14-09, 03:29 PM
jre002
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think a TSIB can expire. Even if your warranty expires, you should still be able to get the TSIB fixed and the problems related to it as well.

I hope everything gets resolved for you.
Old 08-14-09, 05:31 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by jre002
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think a TSIB can expire. Even if your warranty expires, you should still be able to get the TSIB fixed and the problems related to it as well.

i think he meant his factory warranty is about to expire (mileage). tsib doesn't expire, but it's free within factory warranty. after factory warranty you might have to pay for tsib to be done
Old 08-15-09, 04:13 AM
dlieu8989
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there is no timing belt in your car. Water pump and serpentine belt are easy to replace on that car anyways. If you want, you can have them replace the thermostat, plugs, water pump and drive belt.
Old 08-15-09, 07:31 AM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jre002

Recalls do not expire.

TSBs on the other hand do expire, especially if it is expressly written in the TSB which this one is. Now many times dealerships (and this varies from dealership to dealership) as a customer good will measure will meet you half way on the price if the vehicle in question is outside the time or mileage limitations of the TSB. I know of one dealership that actually pushed back the mileage by 200 miles (in the service computer, not the odometer) to get a vehicle inside the warrantly limit of 50k miles as customer good will. I find it comes down to the content of the TSB and the repore the customer has with the dealership.

steviej