GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

DVD-Audio

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-09, 07:07 AM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Exclamation DVD-Audio

Hi all, sorry to start a new thread of this topic already covered. I search but only found topics on other stuff.

Anyway, to the topic/problem.

Our GS430 can't play mp3, but it could play regular CD-audio which is about 14songs/CD (extremely little). So, had anyone try the DVD-Audio? (you know the type that have no picture or video) If U did try and it works, could you tell me how U did it?

Thanks.
Old 08-20-09, 07:22 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Do you have ML?
Old 08-20-09, 07:39 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

is your 430 an 06?
Old 08-20-09, 08:24 AM
worker
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by passnu2
Do you have ML?
what's ML? It's OEM receiver with Nav.

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
is your 430 an 06?
Sorry, yes it's '06

Thanks for the replies.
Old 08-20-09, 08:35 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

thats your problem. 06s can not play mp3s. only 07+

btw ML stands for Mark Levinson
Old 08-20-09, 08:53 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

ml stands for mark levinson, audio upgrade for this car. it's needed in order for your car to play dvd. if you can watch dvd video on your car, you have ML

in that case you can burn dvd-audio and play it in the car. i don't know the exact steps, but you basically need to convert the songs into dvd-a format and burn it on the dvd.
Old 08-20-09, 09:28 AM
worker
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
thats your problem. 06s can not play mp3s. only 07+

btw ML stands for Mark Levinson
I know it can't play mp3s, so my solution is dvd-audio. I tried to make one but it didn't work.

Originally Posted by rominl
ml stands for mark levinson, audio upgrade for this car. it's needed in order for your car to play dvd. if you can watch dvd video on your car, you have ML

in that case you can burn dvd-audio and play it in the car. i don't know the exact steps, but you basically need to convert the songs into dvd-a format and burn it on the dvd.
Thanks. I was digging around finding what receiver I have. Yes it can play dvd. where can I find what format the receive can read? I was reading this but it didn't say it can play dvd-audio. Only dvd-video.

thanks.
Old 08-20-09, 09:38 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

I havent tried but I would think you should be able to play DVD-A if you have the ML. For MP3 I got the Vias unit for my ipod and it works great. The unit and features are nicer for the 07+ due to the newer gen navi system but it gets the job done.

I never got a burned copy of DVD-A to work in any of my cars in the past. Try a DVD-A purchased cd first if you can.
Old 08-20-09, 11:10 AM
HotShotEng
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I ran across this article that claims to be able to convert MP3 to DVD-A. I have not tried this method, but maybe someone can verify if this will really work.

http://home.comcast.net/~adobeman/DVDA/
Old 08-20-09, 11:28 AM
worker
Lexus Champion

Thanks HotShotEng, I'll try it when I get home. :w00t:
Old 08-20-09, 11:40 AM
twylie
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

I created DVD-A discs using Toast 10 on a Mac and it worked without a hitch. If you're willing to use compressed files, you can get about 40 hours of music per disc. I used PCM from lossless files and got 6 or 7 albums per disc. Sound is good, but navigation is a pain and the discs show up as DVD Video, so you can't easily navigate them while in motion unless you have done the wirecut or bypass. I recently installed the PS bypass kit along with VAIS units for Sat and iPod. The iPod works OK, although it's limited to playlist centric navigation in our '06 models. My workaround was to create a playlist for each album with the structure "Artist - Album". This lets you see the artist - album in the first line of CD text with the title being shown below. You can skip playlists by pressing the disc skip or holding down the track skip buttons on the steering wheel. Definitely not as friendly as the Gen 5 units in '07+ but pretty workable.
Old 08-20-09, 08:31 PM
pkp207
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would it work properly?

This thread has gotten me excited as I don't have an iPod and don't want to spend the money on a VAIS unit and install. My only concerns are the following:

1) Would you be able to use the shuffle button?
2) Would you be able to use steering wheel controls to skip between songs?
3) Since someone just said it reads as DVD, would it read in motion w/o doing the wirecut mod?

Thanks for your help... I want to try this but I'm just wondering if it'll be worth my time
Old 08-21-09, 06:23 AM
twylie
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by pkp207
This thread has gotten me excited as I don't have an iPod and don't want to spend the money on a VAIS unit and install. My only concerns are the following:

3) Since someone just said it reads as DVD, would it read in motion w/o doing the wirecut mod?

Thanks for your help... I want to try this but I'm just wondering if it'll be worth my time
my experience was that
1) there is no shuffle button as you're in video mode.
2) yes, to move between songs (tracks) on the disc
3) audio will play if you start the disc before moving, but you'll lose the video once in motion. The benefit of having the video is that the DVD-A discs I made had track info and artwork that displays. I also don't know if you can switch to a DVD once moving and have it just play audio. Even if it does play, you'll have no way to navigate the disc if in motion.

Bottom line for me is that it "kinda" works but is a kludge and creating the DVD-A discs takes a fair bit of time (setup time if you want artwork), and burn time (30min+ per disc for me). The money for the VAIS and bypass
kits is worth being able to listen to my music in a more convenient manner.

If you don't want to go that route and spend the $, I'd say it's worth spending an hour or two trying out the DVD-A discs to see if they'll work for you.
Old 08-21-09, 06:31 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

you can start to play a DVD in motion it just wont allow the pic unless you have cut/grounded the wire or installed the PNP kit.
Old 08-21-09, 06:35 AM
worker
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by HotShotEng
I ran across this article that claims to be able to convert MP3 to DVD-A. I have not tried this method, but maybe someone can verify if this will really work.

http://home.comcast.net/~adobeman/DVDA/
Again thanks HotShotEng. I tried it and it works. It seems that DVDA software convert it to CD format but ignoring the CD capacity, so it over born on CD but will fit DVD. What I didn't like was it strip the mp3 into WAV file first.

Originally Posted by pkp207

1) if U mean shuffle by Random than yes it can do that too.
2) I have not try but I don't see why not.
3) I was driving with it playing in the background just fine. But than with DVD video Ucan play it in background too. Just some menu get disable when u r in motion.

Quick Reply: DVD-Audio