GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Mark Levinson Question...

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-09, 10:23 AM
anaq110
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mark Levinson Question...

Need some help can somebody identify where it should be written Mark Levinson on my system.

I just bought my 07 GS350 AWD some time back but finally had time to test my DVD. I was a little stumped when I put in the DVD in the glove compartment and it didn't work at all. I'm hoping the sales guy didn't pull a quick one on me because I told him I want the NAV and ML system and I payed the premium price.
Old 08-28-09, 10:34 AM
ryan78
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

1. ML should be on the bottom of the unit, right by the tape deck.
2. dvd in the glove box is for navigation dvd. you would insert the dvd you want to watch/listen to in the regular cd/dvd slot on the head unit itself. i don't have pics, but if you search, you can find them. make sure you are in park and have the ebrake on.
Old 08-28-09, 10:36 AM
TWong350

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ryan78
1. ML should be on the bottom of the unit, right by the tape deck.
2. dvd in the glove box is for navigation dvd. you would insert the dvd you want to watch/listen to in the regular cd/dvd slot on the head unit itself. i don't have pics, but if you search, you can find them. make sure you are in park and have the ebrake on.
Ditto. What he said
Old 08-28-09, 04:31 PM
anaq110
Driver

I guess I did get taken... There's no sign of Mark Levinson written anywhere does that mean I cant play dvds at all? If so is there something I can buy to play or am I out of luck?
Old 08-28-09, 04:45 PM
TWong350

Wow! I sure hope you didn't buy your car new thinking it had ML!

Only ML units can play DVDs from the factory. You can add unit like VAIS to give you video input I believe then you can add a DVD player.
Old 08-28-09, 05:50 PM
anaq110
Driver

Originally Posted by TWong1200
Wow! I sure hope you didn't buy your car new thinking it had ML!

Only ML units can play DVDs from the factory. You can add unit like VAIS to give you video input I believe then you can add a DVD player.
I sure did and I'm very upset right now, not sure if I should call Lexus direct or throw a fit at the dealership. I recall asking him where I can play the dvd's from and he said from the compartment and actually opened it. I know I could have gotten the same car with ML at the same freaking price just not the color I wanted
Old 08-28-09, 06:23 PM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Old 08-28-09, 08:53 PM
bokmeipai
Pole Position

Originally Posted by anaq110
I guess I did get taken... There's no sign of Mark Levinson written anywhere does that mean I cant play dvds at all? If so is there something I can buy to play or am I out of luck?
With the ML system you cannot play DVD's when vehicle is in motion. It will only work when your parking brake is on.
Old 08-28-09, 09:25 PM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

my DVD play just fine when I was driving. Just some menu get disable until I stop.
Old 08-28-09, 10:23 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by anaq110
I recall asking him where I can play the dvd's from and he said from the compartment and actually opened it.
Your sales person was either a shameless liar or a complete moron. Either one does not belong at Lexus. I would make sure they paid you some compensation for charging you for something they did not deliver (ML in this case).
Old 08-29-09, 08:48 AM
Bushwack
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree if the salesperson told you one thing and the car doesn't deliver, there is blame to place. But ultimately, the bulk of the blame is on you. In this era of simplicity of gathering information before making a purchase, you should have taken it upon yourself to make sure you were getting what you were buying. Just reading the window sticker would tell you how the car is equipped (I assume the car was Lexus certified).

A salesperson has one ultimate goal in mind: To put your money in his pocket. Scruples aside, on such a purchase the responsibility is on the buyer to make sure you are getting what you pay for.
Old 08-29-09, 09:13 AM
drpepper
Instructor

Originally Posted by arnieosp
Your sales person was either a shameless liar or a complete moron. Either one does not belong at Lexus. I would make sure they paid you some compensation for charging you for something they did not deliver (ML in this case).
A bit strongly worded, but I agree with the sentiment behind it.

The salesman didn't know, so instead of checking on the answer, he went into typical "used car salesman mode" to try to push the sale. Was he lying or congenitally stupid? I would guess that he probably thought he was telling you the truth in ignorance. That is the shameless part, and this won't do for a Lexus dealership.

Which raises a question, did you buy from a Lexus dealership?

Just playing devil's advocate, if you didn't buy from a Lexus dealership, I would imagine the business is really going to tend to support the salesman, especially on a claimed verbal representation. Everybody there has the same motivation, more or less--move that car.

At least some people at a Lexus dealership are operating toward a higher standard. If it was a Lexus dealership with a two building setup (New and Pre-Owned), the ones from my experience were staffed hierachically. The Pre-Owned staff was on a lower rung, with the sales people potentially being in training.

IMO, that would be your best shot at getting this made right. I do think you'll need a very targeted approach to get an admission, because you're still making a claim about a verbal representation.

I'd say try to get to the GM, explain what happened, and try to set up a situation where the salesman can be questioned by you in front of management. This can't be resolved behind closed doors.

If you can do that, ask the salesman to describe how you play a DVD in a GS350 and then ask him how you identify a Mark Levinson system.

Hopefully he hasn't learned these things yet (and he wasn't lying outright to begin with) - How long ago did you buy the car?

The price difference (according to Edmunds) is about $500. Personally, getting $500 wouldn't make me happy in your shoes, if I had really wanted ML to begin with.

You have NAV, but do you have the back-up camera and sensors? I thought there was some amount of bundling involved with the ML; more than just the stereo.

I wish you luck in getting some resolution to this, and I hope you'll post an update.
Old 08-31-09, 09:46 AM
anaq110
Driver

Well here's my scenario, I am working and staying in Toronto but originally from Jersey. so part of my mistake was I drove down to Jersey to get this deal done and because I had to come back in to work I rushed this deal. My requirement was finding a White GS350 AWD W\Navi\Backup Camera\ML. I originally left a deposit with a dealer in Ohio but something didn't seem right because he had two different pictures of the interior, turns out the car didn't even have navi.

Anyways I found something in South Jersey by Atlantic City autolenders.com they have a pretty good rep in the area so I decided good choice.

Before closing the deal my best friend who has a bodyshop\repair shop took the ride down with me to fully inspect the car. I did ask the sales guy where do you play dvds from he said the glove compartment. It all looked great but we both missed the ML, I actually thought Premium meant the ML so that marks my mistake and I agree with Bushwack I should have researched more thoroughly. Sadly most pictures of navigation with and without ML looks exactly identical. The stamp is too little to picked up in pictures.

They were asking 35500 for the car with 28K I shook hands at 35000 flat with 5500 for my GS400 trade. Part of the negotiations that they wouldn't move on the price much was the fact of Navigation\ML Premium stereo. That's what is really bugging the crap out of me right now. I have put in a few calls to their GM and waiting to hear back.

I will share what they say and Thanks guys for your responses.
Old 08-31-09, 10:04 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

i bought my GS from autolenders. i have to admit though, they are not the brightest people. a lot of the things ive seen them list for cars is just a generic cut and paste description.
Old 08-31-09, 12:05 PM
anaq110
Driver

I can see that now LOL... I wanted the White GS AWD with Black Interior which is nearly impossible so I settled with the White\Beige int... To be honest I do not have any buyers remorse, I absolutely love the car minus the sound system\dvd option...

Quick Reply: Mark Levinson Question...