GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

drop down panel switch

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-09, 12:57 PM
twylie
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Default drop down panel switch

the top right corner of the drop down panel (side view mirrors, etc.) has an unused button. It feels like all the others, but I haven't pulled it apart to see if it has contacts or a way to tie into it from the rear.

Has anyone looked at using this factory button for anything?
Old 09-07-09, 04:43 PM
JasonGS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was wondering the same thing. I look forward to finding out if anyone knows.
Old 09-07-09, 10:31 PM
THE.K.W.C
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ill crack it open tomorrow if i have time, but im like 98% sure its just a plastic button that has no wire or connections to it
Old 09-07-09, 10:39 PM
TWong350

I can guarantee you that there's nothing behind it
Old 09-08-09, 05:04 AM
bokmeipai
Pole Position

Originally Posted by twylie
the top right corner of the drop down panel (side view mirrors, etc.) has an unused button. It feels like all the others, but I haven't pulled it apart to see if it has contacts or a way to tie into it from the rear.

Has anyone looked at using this factory button for anything?
I think it's for the power rear shade operation if your car is equipped with it.
Old 09-08-09, 06:22 AM
twylie
Advanced

Originally Posted by bokmeipai
I think it's for the power rear shade operation if your car is equipped with it.
top left is the rear shade. Top right is an unused blank but depresses the same as the buttons with silkscreen on them.
Old 09-08-09, 10:24 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

i've asked this question before. it appears to be a function only available for jdm GS only. my original guess was it may be for the jdm hid fog lights/led daytime running lights.
Old 09-08-09, 12:17 PM
TWong350

top left is the rear shade. Top right is an unused blank but depresses the same as the buttons with silkscreen on them.
Wow...I've never noticed that it depresses. What a trip. So I take what I said back, maybe it does function?
Old 09-08-09, 02:42 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Not a GS owner (yet), however could it possibly be a switch for Asian/ Euro market cars that feature Power Folding Mirrors? As it would probably be necessary considering the narrower roads and parking space.
Old 09-08-09, 02:54 PM
twylie
Advanced

Originally Posted by LexLaw
Not a GS owner (yet), however could it possibly be a switch for Asian/ Euro market cars that feature Power Folding Mirrors? As it would probably be necessary considering the narrower roads and parking space.
There is already a switch for that, 2 down, 2 over from the top left.

Old 09-08-09, 03:15 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

There is already a switch for that, 2 down, 2 over from the top left.
Yeah I've noticed the switch but wasn't sure what it was for. I've been under the impression that US spec GS don't have auto folding as per owners on this forum and Lexus' website. I apparently misread that info. Thanx for clarifying that for me.......Just one more reason to buy a GS!
Old 09-08-09, 04:23 PM
twylie
Advanced

Easy misunderstanding as it doesn't auto-fold like the LS (folds in when ignition off), but you can use the switch to bring them in and out.
Old 09-08-09, 05:10 PM
THE.K.W.C
Pole Position

Ok here you guys go:

The flip down box takes about 10 min to get out with the help or a phillips screw driver.

IMPORTANT!!!!!

If you try and take the box apart there is a ribbon cable inside of it so be careful when you open it up. You must disconnect it before you take it apart.

Top left of the black rubber is the spare button
Top right of the green is the spare button circuit.

I took this apart to find out if i could use the switch for something. Like i first thought you CANT you will not be able to cut the computer board, and there are resistors on the back of the buttons spot. The only thing you could do is cut the circuit out and then attach wires onto that circuit to make the button work but I'm not sure what this circuit is used for I would need to see the cars wiring diagram to find out. hope this helps
Old 09-08-09, 05:46 PM
twylie
Advanced

Originally Posted by -the.k.w.c
Ok here you guys go:

The flip down box takes about 10 min to get out with the help or a phillips screw driver.

IMPORTANT!!!!!

If you try and take the box apart there is a ribbon cable inside of it so be careful when you open it up. You must disconnect it before you take it apart.

I took this apart to find out if i could use the switch for something. Like i first thought you CANT you will not be able to cut the computer board, and there are resistors on the back of the buttons spot. The only thing you could do is cut the circuit out and then attach wires onto that circuit to make the button work but I'm not sure what this circuit is used for I would need to see the cars wiring diagram to find out. hope this helps
WOW! Thanks for pulling it apart to see what the options might be. There is clearly a circuit behind the button, so next question is if the ribbon cable has signal carried through it for that switch and if we can tap into that circuit somewhere else.

GREAT job in digging into this. I appreciate the effort!
Old 09-08-09, 06:05 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by -the.k.w.c
Ok here you guys go:

IMPORTANT!!!!!

Thanks for taking that apart for us

What is everyone trying to place there anyway Most of us have at least one open spot next to the heated/cooled seats switch and I think some have up to 3 open spots. I only have one but think I am going to try that heated rear seat option and find an OEM switch from an older Lexus to place there as an on/off for the rear.

Quick Reply: drop down panel switch