GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

3 piece wheel vs 1 piece, scarce chrome

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-09, 12:37 PM
07350FROST
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
... I had a horrible experience with a set of $5300 Asanti wheels . My vote is to go with a quality cast wheel like a TSW, Vossen, Axis, enkei etc
the reason you had a bad experience with your set of 3pc wheels is probly cuz you chose a company that has a horrible reputation for quality. Asanti =

to me....the two best advantages for a 3pc wheel are fitment/sizing possibilities and look of the wheel.

no one has denied that.
Old 09-13-09, 05:06 PM
LIMS407
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

in the end, he only wants to spend 2k...why we even talkin about one piece or three piece??
Old 09-13-09, 05:56 PM
MrMark
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by lims407
in the end, he only wants to spend 2k...why we even talkin about one piece or three piece??

If he wants a multi-piece look, the only choice is a knock-off wheel.
Old 09-14-09, 07:28 AM
phillygs3

FORGING
A> Is about 1.8(80%) stronger than casted products.
B> Is about 1.4(40%) stronger than billet products.
-Forged materials are typically used in machinery that is subject to tremendous amounts of stress, such as forged pistons for race cars and dragsters.
-Forging is the top Metallurgical production process for performance products.
-As in the automotive wheel market, most of the top manufactures will choose a forged product over billet or cast. This is for strength, reliability, and durability.

And can I add , 3 piece wheels are built to spec ( no hub rings ) , and custom offsets to your liking .

I understand alot of people wont spend that kind of money on a set of wheels , but please dont lie and say you would rather have a one piece wheel . And yes there are some nice and strong one piece wheels out there but come on guys we all know there is nothing like a multi piece wheel .
Old 09-14-09, 02:40 PM
Chancellor
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by phillygs3
And yes there are some nice and strong one piece wheels out there but come on guys we all know there is nothing like a multi piece wheel .
+1
Old 09-15-09, 07:54 PM
Fitment Factory
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ice350
As I said in an earlier post, 1 piece forged is the best choice for performance....so we agree on that. We are car enthusiasts around here, not performance drivers.
My point is that none of us are racing. That alone negates the advantage of a high cost forged multipiece wheel.
WHat's left as an advantage for these high end wheels, the look.
When you add in the extra care needed to maintain a high cost wheel, the fibration caused by water getting in the barrel on rainy days, the softer material which is more prone to bending...high cost forged wheels are actually a disadvantage.
I've been doing this around 25 years, it's all about the looks.
Racers are a different breed. They don't put 19/20 inch wheels with rubber band low profile tires on their racer-type cars. They don't put wheels with 4 inch lips on their racing cars. They don't use Falken crap tires either.
One piece cast wheels are more reliable for daily driving but most people here prefer the look of a multipiece wheel. There is nothing wrong with that. My only problem is when those people behave like snobs by putting down anything other than a multipiece forged wheel.

I've done my research and I have experience.
I don't know a lot about turbo.
I know about wheels.
Originally Posted by I8ABMR
3 pc wheels are a waste of money IMO. They do look better than any cast ( chrome quality, flat face custom look, and bigger lips) but you can 90% of the look with60% of the cost. I had a horrible experience with a set of $5300 Asanti wheels . My vote is to go with a quality cast wheel like a TSW, Vossen, Axis, enkei etc
Yeah but they look so good.... some people drop 2k going to a club drinking and some people drop 5k on a set of shoes for their car. It's all a matter of choices and as long as your happy at the end of the day, it's all good.
Old 09-16-09, 02:46 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ISSForged
Yeah but they look so good.... some people drop 2k going to a club drinking and some people drop 5k on a set of shoes for their car. It's all a matter of choices and as long as your happy at the end of the day, it's all good.
Here here....I agree. The look is soooo cool.
I just want people to acknowledge that it's the look that draws us to high end wheels. Not some some crap about performance when they are NOT racing. ALso wish people would stop belittling those who buy lower end wheels like they are at some disadvantage when it's only the look that is the issue.
Old 09-19-09, 07:57 PM
phillygs3

Originally Posted by Ice350
Here here....I agree. The look is soooo cool.
I just want people to acknowledge that it's the look that draws us to high end wheels. Not some some crap about performance when they are NOT racing. ALso wish people would stop belittling those who buy lower end wheels like they are at some disadvantage when it's only the look that is the issue.
Who is belittling? The op asked what the difference was and was given the facts .
Old 09-20-09, 08:16 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by phillygs3
Who is belittling? The op asked what the difference was and was given the facts .
I was speaking in general terms.
Over the years I've been a member here, there have been many threads where people put down other people's choice when that choice is not high end wheels. They usually claim inferior performance as the issue when it's looks that is the real deal.