GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Sun Shade keeps getting stuck

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-09, 06:37 PM
docdoug
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sun Shade keeps getting stuck

Hi everyone - I'm a new Lexus owner (very psyched). My GS300 has the rear sun shade and I have 2 questions...

1) the shade keeps getting stuck. there seems to be a white plastic rod inside the top metal portion of the shade - this plastic rod keeps sliding out and when the shade goes up, it gets stuck and prevents the shade from going up. I keep pushing it back in, but it keeps sliding out. Anyone have a DIY solution to this (other than cutting it or taping it)? I'd rather not cut it because I don't know what it does or if that will even resolve it.

2) is there a way to prevent the shade from automatically going down when you put the car in reverse?

Thanks for your help.
Old 09-14-09, 06:54 PM
ek9vboi
Lexus Champion

Take it to the dealer?
Old 09-14-09, 07:00 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

To set it off just open up the drop down panel in front of your legft knee and press the button for the shade. If you set it down it to down it will stop going up and down with the reverse setting. I keep mine up for more shade and privacy . It looks baller when some clown in an SUV pulls up behind you at a light with his headlights on and you put it. It makes the car look like its designed with every single option you can think of for the comfort of the driver
Old 09-14-09, 07:03 PM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine's stuck awhile too... It's annoying. Taking it back to the dealer next time I go get an oil change.
Old 09-14-09, 07:07 PM
docdoug
Driver School Candidate

I8ABMR - sorry, I wasn't specific enough. I know how to make it go up and down. What I want is to keep it up all the time (or until I make it go down) and stop it from going down automatically when I put the car in reverse.

Yes, I could take it to the dealer, but I was hoping someone had this problem before and knew of a good fix. :-)

Thanks!
Old 09-14-09, 07:39 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
To set it off just open up the drop down panel in front of your legft knee and press the button for the shade. If you set it down it to down it will stop going up and down with the reverse setting. I keep mine up for more shade and privacy . It looks baller when some clown in an SUV pulls up behind you at a light with his headlights on and you put it. It makes the car look like its designed with every single option you can think of for the comfort of the driver
are you saying there is a way to have it not go down in R I keep mine up even with my window tinted. Post back if there is a way to just have it stay up at all times
Old 09-14-09, 08:26 PM
TWong350

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mike...I think OP is asking if there's a way to do it. I'd personally like to know too.
Old 09-15-09, 09:56 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

ive never used mine lol.
Old 09-15-09, 03:49 PM
mcyc
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

take off the fuse for the sunshade when it's in the up position.
Old 09-15-09, 05:08 PM
ek9vboi
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mcyc
take off the fuse for the sunshade when it's in the up position.
I was thinking the same thing. I find it cool for like 1 min and then its annoying after that. meh
Old 09-16-09, 07:08 AM
SRGS300
Pole Position

Mine gets stuck too but I just fix it and it gets stuck again. I'll take it to the dealer too
Old 10-28-09, 10:53 AM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Dealership is delaying delivery of my car for a day after I made a stink about not writing them the check until the problems that were promised to be fixed are corrected. I think they got in over their heads and didn't actually check the cost of the broken rear sun shade.

In any case, they said they are going to eat the cost of repairing the sun shade. They told me that replacing the motor on the shade is a *7 hours labor* job and has a retail repair cost of something like $3000 CAD. WHAT IN THE BLUE BLAZES. I was told the shade will go up, but it won't go back down again and it just gets stuck... if it goes up, but won't go down, I don't know how that could be the motor but...

Is anybody familiar with the internal workings of these shades on 06 G300s (likely same design for all G models). Why on earth would it take 7 hours to replace the motor? Are they going to deconstruct the entire rear end of the car to get at it? I'm kind of worried about what they're going to do....
Old 10-28-09, 12:16 PM
ivanz
Lead Lap

If it is a CPO car, they are required to fix it before selling it no matter what. If you have any issues and they refuse to fix it, contact Lexus Canada directly; as they launch an investigation for every complaint.

It does take pretty long to fix the sunshade and costs around that amount to fix it. No clue what they do...
Old 10-28-09, 01:43 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
In any case, they said they are going to eat the cost of repairing the sun shade. They told me that replacing the motor on the shade is a *7 hours labor* job and has a retail repair cost of something like $3000 CAD. WHAT IN THE BLUE BLAZES. I was told the shade will go up, but it won't go back down again and it just gets stuck... if it goes up, but won't go down, I don't know how that could be the motor but...
WTF?!?!?! $3,000 CDN?!?! Dayam, I'm starting to think getting extended warranty would be a good investment....
Old 10-29-09, 05:55 PM
SRGS300
Pole Position

funny thing about extended warrantee my cousin told me to get it since mine ended and im like nah.. nothing will happen. its japanese. they are made to last and "BAM" there goes my rear sunshade. lol

Quick Reply: Sun Shade keeps getting stuck