GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Warranty Issues If I Install speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-09 | 11:59 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Default Warranty Issues If I Install speakers?

It's time... i'm considering adding either...

2 12w6's-1000/1(i'm currently equipped)

OR

1 13TW5-500/1(sell what i have and settle for this)

It will be installed by a shop(i'm still looking around so if anyone has any reccomendations to an extremely professional shop at an affordable price, please PLEASE let me know)

I'm wondering, will the warranty be out? This car came with warranty and i don't wanna lose it.... i'll sell my current **** and wait it out until the warranty expires if i have to
Old 09-16-09 | 02:13 AM
ek9vboi
Lexus Champion

you should do a search on "warranty"

but to be nice, I will answer this. NO, unless the speakers/subs in this case start to mess up the wiring within the car. So your taking a chance at it, most people usually don't have problems.
Old 09-16-09 | 03:10 AM
tromly
Pole Position

I'd check with your dealer just to be sure and document their response. Good Luck
Old 09-16-09 | 03:15 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tromly
I'd check with your dealer just to be sure and document their response. Good Luck
doesnt matter, under the magum-moss warranty act they have to honor your warranty unless they can directly say the speakers were the cause of the problem.
Old 09-16-09 | 09:53 AM
ek9vboi
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
doesnt matter, under the magum-moss warranty act they have to honor your warranty unless they can directly say the speakers were the cause of the problem.
x2, you can mod the car all you want. just keep the stock parts if anything comes up. try not to hack the shizzle out of everything when installing and when u cut the wires dont do it directly near whatever it is, find a spot where its a bit further away to make it seemless.
Old 09-16-09 | 10:45 AM
07350FROST
Lead Lap

i assume you dont have Mark Levinson sound??

even though the ML sound system is weak, it is R&D'd and set up a certain way that installing different wattage/ohm rating speakers may end up sounding worse than the original sound. unless your not messing with the factory ML system and just adding to it. but then you lose the surround sound aspect of it cuz the new system isnt tied into the original.

basically.......if you have ML, spend the money and do it correctly. if you have a non-ML car, i'd rip out the whole system and start from scratch.
Old 09-16-09 | 08:03 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Originally Posted by ek9vboi

you should do a search on "warranty"

but to be nice, I will answer this. NO, unless the speakers/subs in this case start to mess up the wiring within the car. So your taking a chance at it, most people usually don't have problems.
thanks for the info .... i'll be having a professional shop do the work, so there shouldn't be any problems with voltage problems, neither should there be any wiring complications... if so i just take it back haha

Originally Posted by tromly
=] thanks, talked to a representative that owns the warranty section of lexus.... they're stationed in Cali, not in FL =[ so i dont think i can document it through the phone.

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
yezzir, everything was right on the dot with what you said, unless it is a known cause that what i did or attempted to do made the problem arise, they will not warranty.... what made me feel really stupid was that he kept repeating that any aftermarket stuff i add on will not be warrantied....(DUH! i bought separate from the car, how is it going to be warrantied???)

x2, you can mod the car all you want. just keep the stock parts if anything comes up. try not to hack the shizzle out of everything when installing and when u cut the wires dont do it directly near whatever it is, find a spot where its a bit further away to make it seemless.
hahaha... i figured same thing =] if anything i'll go back to stock and return to stealership for warranty recall =]

Originally Posted by 07350FROST
i assume you dont have Mark Levinson sound??

even though the ML sound system is weak, it is R&D'd and set up a certain way that installing different wattage/ohm rating speakers may end up sounding worse than the original sound. unless your not messing with the factory ML system and just adding to it. but then you lose the surround sound aspect of it cuz the new system isnt tied into the original.

basically.......if you have ML, spend the money and do it correctly. if you have a non-ML car, i'd rip out the whole system and start from scratch.
I don't have ML system... it would be nice to be able to watch DVDs from the car though hahaha..... unfortunately i don't, i'm not changing the speakers, and if i had the ML system i'd use the adaptive kit from alpine or JL Audio and run my speakers off of that hahaha, still the 3d sound, just much much much more clearer and louder

I'm just looking to add a 13in subwoofer or 2 12in subwoofers... don't know which yet because i dont like sacrificing trunk space for music, i'm not a big freak like i use to be anymore... so maybe i'll go with the 13TW5 subwoofer from JL Audio =] as for the door speakers... the setup i'm looking forward to, IF and only IF i want to modify my door speakers are gonna run me 1500+!
Old 09-16-09 | 09:35 PM
07350FROST
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX
... so maybe i'll go with the 13TW5 subwoofer from JL Audio =] as for the door speakers... the setup i'm looking forward to, IF and only IF i want to modify my door speakers are gonna run me 1500+!
yeah, tell me about it! Mid's and high's are the expensive part if you do it up right. sitting in my garage in a closet is a set of Reference Series MB Quart 6" mids and Titanium tweeters. they were about $600 when i bought em and cant put em in my GS cuz i have ML sound and it'd be a helluva lot of work to get it right.

oh well!!
Old 09-17-09 | 05:40 AM
ek9vboi
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 07350FROST
yeah, tell me about it! Mid's and high's are the expensive part if you do it up right. sitting in my garage in a closet is a set of Reference Series MB Quart 6" mids and Titanium tweeters. they were about $600 when i bought em and cant put em in my GS cuz i have ML sound and it'd be a helluva lot of work to get it right.

oh well!!
I love my highs. MB Quarts are the shizzle in that department, but subs JL hands down. I had 12W3s x2 and they were pretty good on the lows, I can only imagine the few that are further up on the chain. But then again that was back then when I was a sound addict, the ML is more then enough for me now that I've calmed down now. Stock FTW... in most cases. Best of all no headaches!
Old 09-17-09 | 06:18 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

I love my highs. MB Quarts are the shizzle in that department, but subs JL hands down. I had 12W3s x2 and they were pretty good on the lows, I can only imagine the few that are further up on the chain. But then again that was back then when I was a sound addict, the ML is more then enough for me now that I've calmed down now. Stock FTW... in most cases. Best of all no headaches!
lol agreed. one of the reasons why i went with the ML system.
Old 09-18-09 | 10:05 AM
XxGoKoUxX

Now they've got the alpine $10k sound system..... that **** I heard is off the hooooook =)

I think maybe later on in life ill consider a full set of components, only if I go sound crazy lol
Old 09-18-09 | 10:10 AM
XxGoKoUxX

Now they've got the alpine $10k sound system..... that **** I heard is off the hooooook =)

I think maybe later on in life ill consider a full set of components, only if I go sound crazy lol