GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

sport mode vs ect pwr?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-09, 07:56 PM
greg0723
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default sport mode vs ect pwr?

i dont have sport mode in my car but here people talk about it on here. what is the difference between sport mode and the ect pwr button?
Old 09-22-09, 08:38 PM
drpepper
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Strictly speaking, sport mode is a suspension setting option. The "S" mode that people talk about a lot is the shift lever position to the left of "D" from which you can do pseudo manual shifting.

And by most accounts, you're not missing anything by not having the sport suspension setting. Comparative reviews describing its function as making the ride rougher without changing the handling - what's the point of that?
Old 09-22-09, 10:37 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

lol @ drpepper... i never really felt like i should use the the "sport" dampering mode, honestly you dont pay 60k for a vehicle u feel every rock and crevice on
Old 09-23-09, 01:06 AM
Rider
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX
lol @ drpepper... i never really felt like i should use the the "sport" dampering mode, honestly you dont pay 60k for a vehicle u feel every rock and crevice on
Your saying it as if your obliged to use the option...... I honestly feel more comfortable driving with the sport enhanced suspension during high speeds than the normal mode. The ride feels more sporty/firm and not "shaky" if thats the right word
Old 09-23-09, 07:27 AM
drpepper
Instructor

I suppose saying "what's the point?" is a bit overly dismissive.

I've turned sport suspension on a handful of times and just didn't personally find it compelling. Admittedly, most of the driving I do (normal suburban commuting) doesn't lend itself to showcasing the difference between the settings. I tend to end up agreeing with XxGoKoUxX's sentiment when I've had the sport mode on, trying to discern the difference--A large part of what I love about my GS is the ride with the normal suspension setting.

I was on a nice long smooth, yet twisty, country road one beautiful Saturday afternoon and decided to hit the button and "feel the difference." I drove the road in a spirited manner, and it felt good; sporty/firm/smooth. It occurred to me that I would have had to turn around and do the exact same thing with the setting on normal to know if it was really the sport setting or just the car and the picture perfect moment.

But I also see what Rider is saying (without explicitly saying it)--Even if the actual handling characteristics of the car are unchanged, the feel (and so the driver experience and perception) of that handling is changed and that, in itself, is the point. If you like the way one setting feels versus the other, it's kind of hard to argue against that
Old 09-23-09, 07:34 AM
drpepper
Instructor

Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX
...honestly you dont pay 60k for a vehicle u feel every rock and crevice on
I understand your meaning, but people pay a lot more than $60K for cars that transfer the feel of every rock and crevice to the driver
Old 09-23-09, 08:11 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 211 Likes on 145 Posts

isn't the "sport" mode suspension stuff only on the 430/460s?
Old 09-23-09, 08:34 AM
drpepper
Instructor

Originally Posted by jtrue28
isn't the "sport" mode suspension stuff only on the 430/460s?
AVS is optional on the 350
Old 09-23-09, 08:40 AM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

when you are driving in a cross wind situation in the open desert at 100mph, you'll be glad that you have AVS.. Personally, I love it and won't get coils just to keep this feature.
Old 09-23-09, 11:24 AM
XxGoKoUxX

Originally Posted by Rider
Your saying it as if your obliged to use the option...... I honestly feel more comfortable driving with the sport enhanced suspension during high speeds than the normal mode. The ride feels more sporty/firm and not "shaky" if thats the right word
really? i've never experimented lol... but i'll try it out as soon as i hit the highway again =]

Originally Posted by drpepper
I suppose saying "what's the point?" is a bit overly dismissive.

I've turned sport suspension on a handful of times and just didn't personally find it compelling. Admittedly, most of the driving I do (normal suburban commuting) doesn't lend itself to showcasing the difference between the settings. I tend to end up agreeing with XxGoKoUxX's sentiment when I've had the sport mode on, trying to discern the difference--A large part of what I love about my GS is the ride with the normal suspension setting.

I was on a nice long smooth, yet twisty, country road one beautiful Saturday afternoon and decided to hit the button and "feel the difference." I drove the road in a spirited manner, and it felt good; sporty/firm/smooth. It occurred to me that I would have had to turn around and do the exact same thing with the setting on normal to know if it was really the sport setting or just the car and the picture perfect moment.

But I also see what Rider is saying (without explicitly saying it)--Even if the actual handling characteristics of the car are unchanged, the feel (and so the driver experience and perception) of that handling is changed and that, in itself, is the point. If you like the way one setting feels versus the other, it's kind of hard to argue against that
i tried it at low speed and FL, like texas and other southern states, has a lot of cracked roads, not my best experience hitting small potholes @ 30-40mph... haha, after i hit a bump and heard somewhat of a "thump" i never tried it again

Originally Posted by drpepper
I understand your meaning, but people pay a lot more than $60K for cars that transfer the feel of every rock and crevice to the driver
hahahaha, i laughed soo hard when i read this... but yeah, i guess you're right

Originally Posted by whlkev
when you are driving in a cross wind situation in the open desert at 100mph, you'll be glad that you have AVS.. Personally, I love it and won't get coils just to keep this feature.
i'll be sure to try this out @ higher speeds....

anyone have any idea if the "sport" dampering will activate during driving? or do you have to stop?
Old 09-23-09, 11:25 AM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you can adjust it on the fly
Old 09-23-09, 11:32 AM
XxGoKoUxX

thanks whlev =] i'mma try it out tonight, the car DOES feel a bit shaky @ 110+