GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Camry vs. GS

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-09, 09:21 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I went with GS because of the build quality,reliability, Lexus name, safety, and they arent a dime a dozen
Old 09-23-09, 09:52 PM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Lex11
Sorry bro, i had to ask though
Its all good
Old 09-24-09, 12:19 AM
slk_dds
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since we are on the subject of comparing Toyota and Lexus, I would like to get some feedback from the CL members...

This question has been bugging me for quiet some times, basically ES/RX is same as Camry/High Lander, so why would any one prefer ES/RX instead of Camry/High Lander!?!

Is it really worth to spend extra $10,000~$15,000 for Lexus' emblem, extra luxury, and maybe the sportler exterior?

(I am not trying to offend anyone, just want to understand the logic behind it. )
Old 09-24-09, 12:42 AM
Rider
Lexus Test Driver

WE compare ES with the Aurion where I live... Camry is no where nearly comparable to any lexus.. since the only camry we have is a V4
Old 09-24-09, 12:45 AM
ek9vboi
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I went with GS because of the build quality,reliability, Lexus name, safety, and they arent a dime a dozen
They are a dime a dozen... ask Lexus.

If you compared the Avalon to the GS, that would be more reasonable. After all, a good amount of tech is in that car.
Old 09-24-09, 03:33 AM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

all that was said is exactly what im thinking. Now keep in mind that the interior and the exterior styling and comfort is no where close to the GS.
Old 09-24-09, 07:16 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Are to trying to choose between a new Camry and a used GS? These 2 cars really dont drive the same, you need to test drive them both and then decide.
Old 09-24-09, 07:20 AM
jonnyxboi
Pole Position

When I got my GS, soon afterwards I drove a camry. I hated the Camry. The GS drives so much better. The engine isn't as loud, the ride is smoother and the technology is much better. Besides, people look at the GS. Camry's are everywhere.

On another note, I always thought the GS had a similar body to the Avalon.
Old 09-24-09, 08:07 AM
LIMS407
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

always see this one camry with lexus emblems in my area all the time..i mean lexus grill, lexus stock wheel on camry..pretty funny actually

Last edited by LIMS407; 09-24-09 at 08:12 AM.
Old 09-24-09, 08:50 AM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rider
WE compare ES with the Aurion where I live... Camry is no where nearly comparable to any lexus.. since the only camry we have is a V4
I'd love to see that V4 engine.

Originally Posted by ek9vboi
They are a dime a dozen... ask Lexus.

If you compared the Avalon to the GS, that would be more reasonable. After all, a good amount of tech is in that car.
Still FWD vs. RWD/AWD...

Not to offend anyone but I think a lot of times a person who probably does not know/care much about cars and how it drives would compare FWD vs. RWD/AWD.
Old 09-24-09, 08:52 AM
scorpio74
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I guess I'll chime in. First of, why would one compares a GS to a Camry??? Lexus to Toyota???
It would be more appropriate to compare a Camry and Avalon since they're both Toyota.
Just my two cents
Old 09-24-09, 10:05 AM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by slk_dds

Is it really worth to spend extra $10,000~$15,000 for Lexus' emblem, extra luxury, and maybe the sportler exterior?

(I am not trying to offend anyone, just want to understand the logic behind it. )
SLick you've been around long enough to not ask this question....why did you have an LS instead of an Avalon (yeah FWD but you know)
Old 09-24-09, 10:10 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by slk_dds
Since we are on the subject of comparing Toyota and Lexus, I would like to get some feedback from the CL members...

This question has been bugging me for quiet some times, basically ES/RX is same as Camry/High Lander, so why would any one prefer ES/RX instead of Camry/High Lander!?!

Why would some people buy a G37 coupe when they can get a Nissan 370z for a lot less?

You're not spending that much just for an emblem. While the ES is based off the Camry chassis/drivetrain, they are more than that. Sharing the same platform is probably the only thing they share in common. Toyota made sure the ones wearing the Lexus badge is quieter/smoother and more luxurious than the Toyota counterpart.

I use to think the ES is a glorified Camry until I actually sat in one. Road noise, smoothness, and comfort were much better in the ES than the camry.
Old 09-24-09, 11:23 AM
drpepper
Instructor

Originally Posted by GSteg
You're not spending that much just for an emblem. While the ES is based off the Camry chassis/drivetrain, they are more than that. Sharing the same platform is probably the only thing they share in common. Toyota made sure the ones wearing the Lexus badge is quieter/smoother and more luxurious than the Toyota counterpart.
This is true.

If you go youtubing for reviews on the ES, there are a several of them that deal with this aspect of "Why pay this much more for Camry?" Every one I saw either concluded straight up that the price can be justified or that it's not really the apples to apples comparison you'd think it would be.

It's not exactly like the comparison that some try to make out like some Ford/Mercury, Pontiac/Chevy or Chevy/GMC model comparisons. In a lot of those cases, the difference is essentially just the badge. The ES is intentionally differentiated from the Camry in ways that affect how it feels and in how in looks in important styling details--body panels are different. The ES and Camry aren't twins.

Like GSteg was saying, it creates not just a different driving experience, but one thats's on a higher level.
Old 09-24-09, 11:33 AM
drpepper
Instructor

Originally Posted by Lex11
I was just curious to get some feedback from you all.
The best thing to do would be to go out and drive em.

You say you'd be interested in a GS430? Go drive the most decked out brand new Camry you can find on a lot and then go straight to Lexus dealer and drive a GS.

Then I'd be curious to get your feedback

Quick Reply: Camry vs. GS