GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Camry vs. GS

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-09, 02:19 PM
D1GP
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

I am sorry to post this, but WTF?! What kind of questions is that?

yes, I def will pick a Camry over a GS, they are not even in the same price range

Old 09-24-09, 02:41 PM
TWong350

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, since everyone has chimed in, I guess I will too.

Not to sound like a broken record or anything but this just isn't an apples to apples comparison.

Let's use a non auto-related comparison. One would not compare a house in Compton that;s 2500 square feet to a house of the same size in Laguna Beach. Sure both homes have roofs, a driveway, a backyard, a pool, etc. but something about that house in Laguna Beach sets it apart from the house in Compton.

Same goes with the GS and Camry. Sure they both have four wheels. Both have leather interior. Both have rear spoilers. Both have bluetooth. Both have Navi (you get the picture). But, you just can't compare the two, really.

Just my $.02. No offense to anyone. =)

Cheers!
Old 09-24-09, 05:39 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

if you can't appreciate the difference between the camry and GS, then you should get the camry
Old 09-24-09, 05:42 PM
LexFather

Guys relax it was a question and he asked nicely. We cannot assume everyone knows the differences between the two.

As one on multiple forums (and I browse more than post b/c of the asshattery) you would be surprised that people think
LS-Camry
GS-Camry
GS-Avalon
HS-Corolla
IS-Corolla

etc etc......

Old 09-24-09, 06:23 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

I bought new 2 Lexuses in the last 18 months, RX350 AWD for my wife and GS350 AWD for me, spent over $80K on both cars. I could have saved at least $25K by buying Highlander and Camry, or Avalon. I chose a Lexus for 2 reasons:

1. I WANTED
2. I COULD

I think those are the same 2 reasons that some people are buying Ferraris over Corvettes, and Rolls Royces over Cadillacs.
Old 09-24-09, 07:34 PM
slk_dds
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by arnieosp
i bought new 2 lexuses in the last 18 months, i chose a lexus for 2 reasons:

1. I wanted
2. I could
Point taken!!! That's what I thought too!!!
Old 09-24-09, 08:55 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ek9vboi
They are a dime a dozen... ask Lexus.

If you compared the Avalon to the GS, that would be more reasonable. After all, a good amount of tech is in that car.
This is not even reasonable. Avalon is fwd. FWD = poor traction as a result of cheap engineering. The GS is rear wheel drive like BMWs, Mercedes, Porsches and Ferraris. Avalon and Camry is FWD like taurus, malibu, corolla, focus, accord and other less performance oriented vehicles.

On engineering here's a way to think about it:
FWD - cheap drivetrain which reduces cost of vehicle, but undermines performance and driving experience due to loss of traction and torque steer.
RWD - best performance oriented drivetrain in dry and rain conditions (see my later post on that) but more expensive and so mostly fitted in better luxury cars and sports cars
AWD - good drivetrain for snow and offroad conditions, however compromises handling for dry performance due to additional weight and packaging issues in some models (e.g. adversely affects engine position in Audi A4)

Real car guys typically don't rate front wheel drive cars for these reasons. This is also why Lexus never launched the ES in international markets. Because the ES is fwd and undermines Lexus credibility as a peer of Mercedes and BMW. The ES is more peer to a Volvo, Saab, or Audi. In the US since fewer people are really into cars, and more just want a comfortable way to get from a to b, the ES was less of a branding risk. Nonetheless, if you go the BMW forums, I'm certain people will refer to fwd as a means to question Lexus' legitimacy as a luxury car manufacturer.

Last edited by *Batman*; 09-25-09 at 10:11 PM.
Old 09-24-09, 10:43 PM
maying856
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by slk_dds
Since we are on the subject of comparing Toyota and Lexus, I would like to get some feedback from the CL members...

This question has been bugging me for quiet some times, basically ES/RX is same as Camry/High Lander, so why would any one prefer ES/RX instead of Camry/High Lander!?!

Is it really worth to spend extra $10,000~$15,000 for Lexus' emblem, extra luxury, and maybe the sportler exterior?

(I am not trying to offend anyone, just want to understand the logic behind it. )
I dont think that anyone is offended here, its a reasonable question that deserves an answer.

So is it really worth to spend the extra cash? Hell yes
Why? This is freaking America and I am free to buy whatever my heart desires (As long as I can afford it ) If you cant afford it, then oh well, work smarter not harder
Old 09-25-09, 02:50 AM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

I'm sorry I think this thread is a justification for OP that the Camry is a worthy purchase. FYI, yes it was a good purchase but it is no GS.

Camry is a good car, reliable, spacious, v6 has a little kick to it, and great price range. Some friends of mine have Camry's but to even start comparing it? Every single aspect from the ideaology of Lexus and GS to quality and materials to the way it is built from the factory, to your customer service and pleasant driving experience, I don't understand why some people are comparing. Yes you have vehicles that share chassis with the same manufacturer but what you get in the end, is totally different. Trust me, driving my friends' Camry vs. driving in my GS, totally different.

Sorry for bumping such a "thread" but let's just let this one die out from here on out.
Old 09-25-09, 05:11 AM
greg0723
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gs300cky
ya the gs is its own class there isnt a toyota that really resembles or is a mach up so to say of it. like the camry is a es the rx is the highlander the lx/gx are the land cruiser etc etc etc.
the avalon resembles the gs.
Old 09-25-09, 07:59 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by batman75
This is not even reasonable. Avalon is fwd. FWD = ****ty traction as a result of cheap engineering. The GS is rear wheel drive like BMWs, Mercedes, Porsches and Ferraris. Avalon and Camry is FWD like taurus, malibu, corolla, focus, accord and all that crap.
FWD has better traction in the rain and snow. Of course if you drive your car in a race track doing 200 MPH, then RWD is better for handling.
Old 09-25-09, 08:02 AM
drpepper
Instructor

Originally Posted by batman75
Your comment is just asinine and ignorant. Good luck with your 4-pot front wheel drive econobox.
Geez! You could take it a little bit easier. The op was under the mistaken belief that the Camry and GS are essentially the same car.

In that mistaken belief, it's reasonable to ask what the justification would be for choosing the GS.

Nothing to get bent about.
Old 09-25-09, 01:14 PM
skidmike
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Already been said, but..

I have a new GS, used to have an '08 Camry, have driven an ES, IS, etc..

The ES is basically a gussied-up Camry and the one I drove didn't really impress me at all. Frankly, It seemed rougher and cheaper than my ex's '08 Camry Hybrid. Sure, it had the Lexus brand touches and the like, but it just looked and felt cheap to me. The ES and Camry are the same car with different skins. Both are FWD.

The GS is a totally different car. RWD, quieter, smoother, faster, better handling, far more comfortable. The Camry Hybrid like my ex's goes for about $30K. I paid $43K for my GS. Totally worth it, IMO - but then I bought one, so I'm more than a little biased..
Old 09-25-09, 03:55 PM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Lex11
Hey all.

I was just curious as to what made you all choose the gs ver a camry. I choose a camry since its i guess a watered down gs if you will LOL> Anyways i like the new camry se, but have always loved the gs, and an 06+ gs is just pure sexy to me.

I am going to paraphrase the original question.....from post one....

Hey all.

I was just curious as to what made you all choose the big boobed blonde ver a brunette with a mustache. I choose a brunette since its i guess a blonde after many beers if you will LOL> Anyways i also like brunettes without the mustaches, but have always loved the blonde, and a big boobed blonde is just pure sexy to me.

Last edited by EyeKutr; 09-25-09 at 08:46 PM.
Old 09-25-09, 09:49 PM
LexFather

Guys, get off your high horses. The Camry is a great car, the OP was kind to ask a LEGITIMATE question. Not everyone knows why a GS is a GS and what makes it so superb.

Do NOT flame Toyota cousins. We are all family.

Quick Reply: Camry vs. GS