GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Camry vs. GS

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-09, 06:59 PM
Lex11
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camry vs. GS

Hey all.

I was just curious as to what made you all choose the gs ver a camry. I choose a camry since its i guess a watered down gs if you will LOL> Anyways i like the new camry se, but have always loved the gs, and an 06+ gs is just pure sexy to me.

Is there anything other than the interior that would be justifiable to buy a gs300? Or did most of you buy just based off of the L emblem? I hear that the camry rides really smooth, which i know the gs does as well etc.

I was just curious to get some feedback from you all.

Thanks,
Old 09-23-09, 07:03 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Camry is a watered down ES in a way

I highly doubt too many people here cross-shopped between a GS and a Camry so you might not get many responses.
Old 09-23-09, 07:04 PM
janfrancis
Rookie

dude its like VW is the poor mans porche. same with camry and gs. and btw its the ES thats with the same class as the Camry. GS is one of a kind!
Old 09-23-09, 07:05 PM
playa3uhh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The camry is the base for a Lexus ES. The GS is nicer imo. The styling, Lexus luxury, and Lexus quality is enough to get a GS over a Camry. Think about the little things that make a Lexus a Lexus such as more insulation for a quieter cabin, or the ML system for better sound quality, or the suspension in a Lexus to make the car ride smoother than Toyota's. All in all they're both great cars, but if you have the money then go for the Lexus!
Old 09-23-09, 07:06 PM
gs300cky
Lead Lap

ya the gs is its own class there isnt a toyota that really resembles or is a mach up so to say of it. like the camry is a es the rx is the highlander the lx/gx are the land cruiser etc etc etc. but gs is way nicer and alot more options available plus faster lol
Old 09-23-09, 07:10 PM
LexFather

I love the Camry for hat it is but the ONLY reason I checked them out was b/c I wanted a hyrbid and the Camry offered one. The GS is superior to the Camry and it should be, it costs twice as much.

I do have a lot of experience with the new Camry (SE at that) and its a wonderful car, uses some old Lexus parts like the shifter, the interior is much larger but the GS is well, a GS. The GS rides just as nice, is a lot more sportier, is A LOT rarer, has more featues and options, looks better, is faster, quieter.

It should be, it costs more!

Don't get me wrong, I love the Camry but it is what it is. We are cousins, so no hate!

Old 09-23-09, 07:26 PM
janfrancis
Rookie

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Don't get me wrong, I love the Camry but it is what it is. We are cousins, so no hate!
i have a Camry too.. i buy rims here *just got my third set. i had gs300 17" wheels, 3gs 430 5 spokes and now the GS g-spider. it's all good! as long as you change out the centercaps heheh
Old 09-23-09, 07:28 PM
slk_dds
Lexus Test Driver

HELLO???

Camry = ES350 --> same chasis, engine (only 260+ HP), and specially they are FRONT WHEEL DRIVE

GS350 is REAR WHEEL DRIVE and its engine produce WHOOPING 300+ HP and it drives totally different!!!

(Initially I was being cheap just wanted a transportation for work, so I was looking at the Camry at the time also... But I hated the way FRONT WHEEL DRIVE drives, always loose grip when you try to punch it or during corning!!! Also the nose of the US version Camry looked like a little piggy's nose, unlike the ones in Asia looks alot more classy... Just my point of view, no harm intended...)
Attached Thumbnails Camry vs. GS-new_camry_taiwan.jpg  

Last edited by slk_dds; 09-23-09 at 07:34 PM.
Old 09-23-09, 07:28 PM
Lex11
Rookie

Thannks alot guys. Im sure that the gs is all that. I remember borrowing my aunts first gen es when i went to my prom and i immediately was thinking that it was the best car i have ever driven, at the time i was a muscle head and my parents had just bought me a brand new 97 camaro. I wasnt even into luxury cars and her lex blew me away.

with that said im sure once i drive a new gs, it will take my heart even more. If i do pull the trigger on the gs it will be a 430.

Thanks.
Old 09-23-09, 07:30 PM
ivanz
Lead Lap

If you like the Camry/ES, then you probably wont like the suspension setup on the GS.
i.e you wont get sea sick
Old 09-23-09, 07:35 PM
Lex11
Rookie

Originally Posted by ivanz
If you like the Camry/ES, then you probably wont like the suspension setup on the GS.
i.e you wont get sea sick
LOL! Gotcha
Old 09-23-09, 07:39 PM
Lex11
Rookie

Originally Posted by slk_dds
HELLO???

Camry = ES350 --> same chasis, engine (only 260+ HP), and specially they are FRONT WHEEL DRIVE

GS350 is REAR WHEEL DRIVE and its engine produce WHOOPING 300+ HP and it drives totally different!!!

(Initially I was being cheap just wanted a transportation for work, so I was looking at the Camry at the time also... But I hated the way FRONT WHEEL DRIVE drives, always loose grip when you try to punch it or during corning!!! Also the nose of the US version Camry looked like a little piggy's nose, unlike the ones in Asia looks alot more classy... Just my point of view, no harm intended...)
I hear ya on the fwd vs the rwd bro. I love a nice rwd car, i cant stand torque steer.
Old 09-23-09, 07:54 PM
playa3uhh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want a luxury hybrid go with a GS450h or an RX400h
Old 09-23-09, 08:08 PM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

to the op
Old 09-23-09, 08:12 PM
Lex11