GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Auto Climate Control

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-09, 05:24 AM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Auto Climate Control

It was 57 degree F outside (according to the display right on top of the screen) the other day and I set the temp to 70 for both driver and passenger... I put the screen on the climate control screen and press the auto button. Interestingly it turn on the AC and start blowing cold air. What's up with that? I turn off the AC and press the "Off" button for a complete off and than press the Auto again, again it turn on the AC. LOL

Can someone clue me in on how this climate control works? How do I turn on the heat? I haven't had time to fully play with it. Thanks.

Just in case some of U say the engine was heating the sensor, the car was sitting there cold and I just started the car so there shouldn't be any heat from anywhere.
Old 09-30-09, 05:56 AM
twylie
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

was the temp in the car above 70? Had the car been in a garage or in direct sunlight? If either of these were true, it was trying to get the cabin to 70. Outside air doesn't have anything to do with what the HVAC does as far as I can tell. Even in winter, our cars will run the AC to try and remove moisture from the cabin. It may heat that air, but it's conditioned. I think my wife's SC may blow cooler air on the windshield when in defrost mode.
Old 09-30-09, 06:14 AM
TWong350

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I never had a car where this feature worked properly. I look at it as the set value is the temp of the actual air coming out, not of the temp you desire the cabin to be.
Old 09-30-09, 06:26 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Just turn up the temp, I know its stupid to rin both the heat and AC at the same time, but thats what its design to do, pump out dry air. On more newer luxury cars, there is no AC off button anymore.
Old 09-30-09, 06:27 AM
worker
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by twylie
was the temp in the car above 70? Had the car been in a garage or in direct sunlight? If either of these were true, it was trying to get the cabin to 70. Outside air doesn't have anything to do with what the HVAC does as far as I can tell. Even in winter, our cars will run the AC to try and remove moisture from the cabin. It may heat that air, but it's conditioned. I think my wife's SC may blow cooler air on the windshield when in defrost mode.
I was still cold when I got into the car which was why I wanted to turn on the heat... not AC. I know if I have it blow the windshield it will turn on the AC to help clear the moisture so I had it blows to the feet and front only. Thanks for the reply.

Originally Posted by TWong1200
I never had a car where this feature worked properly. I look at it as the set value is the temp of the actual air coming out, not of the temp you desire the cabin to be.
I think so too, but still the car was sitting there all night so even the inside should be cold at 57F. The day was warming up though.
Old 09-30-09, 06:29 AM
worker
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by The G Man
Just turn up the temp, I know its stupid to rin both the heat and AC at the same time, but thats what its design to do, pump out dry air. On more newer luxury cars, there is no AC off button anymore.
At first I didn't pay attention until I felt the breeze of cold air. hahah It might be just air without heat nor AC but still I didn't feel it heat up so I looked and saw the AC was on.
Old 09-30-09, 07:34 AM
CoolRich59
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm curious about this too. A cold front rolled into the Chicago area and it's been in the 50s in the morning the last couple of days.

I had my climate control set to 70 or 72 and on "auto". I could feel cold air blowing, so I turned the AC button "off".
Old 09-30-09, 08:33 AM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

pump it up to 75F, let it run, it will blow out heat after a while
Old 09-30-09, 01:44 PM
sprintz
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by worker
Can someone clue me in on how this climate control works? How do I turn on the heat? I haven't had time to fully play with it. Thanks.

Just in case some of U say the engine was heating the sensor, the car was sitting there cold and I just started the car so there shouldn't be any heat from anywhere.
One other possibility: You have "DUAL" mode turned on. If this is the case, the right (passenger) side temp setting may be really low, in which case the AC may kick on and blow hard even if you turn the left (driver) side temp setting up to max temp.