GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

5k 55watt Fogs Installed >PIX<

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-09, 06:30 PM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
It seems like these headlight and fog light mods create more issues than its worth.
Not true, issues arise when people buy cheap no-name junk and install them. Another thing to consider is "80w output" for 55watts kind of crap bulbs. Those will prbably suck up too much juice and melt your car. Another thing that I think is a no-no...throeing HID kit for your fogs, which are just halogen reflectors, not HID projectors. As for HID replacement of low beams, you cant just trust any brand. It seems to me Garax 6ks are acceptable, someone sold me some 5k philips bulbs, and Ive had no issues.
Old 11-27-09, 06:38 PM
cmasten
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I just replaced my HIDs with new Osrams (4300K) and my Fogs with new PIAAs (4100K) and they are now much closer together in color temp and the brightness really comes out at night. Its nice and crisp now, worthy investment IMO, the HID bulbs were $89.00 shipped and the PIAAs were $41.00 shipped so not too bad, I should not have to worry about them going out for a while. I'll keep the old ones as back ups.
Old 11-28-09, 12:19 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by EyeKutr
Not true, issues arise when people buy cheap no-name junk and install them. Another thing to consider is "80w output" for 55watts kind of crap bulbs. Those will prbably suck up too much juice and melt your car. Another thing that I think is a no-no...throeing HID kit for your fogs, which are just halogen reflectors, not HID projectors. As for HID replacement of low beams, you cant just trust any brand. It seems to me Garax 6ks are acceptable, someone sold me some 5k philips bulbs, and Ive had no issues.
well said. replaced with non-quality stuff and it's always a way to get into trouble
Old 11-28-09, 01:11 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

The fact still remains that many people on this forum have had ,at some point in the life of the ballast or bulb, problems with them eve when they used name brand ( non e bay) bulbs. You can claim what you want but I know they are/can be problematic and I would rather not to mess with them right now. To each his own but I want less issues and have no issues with the lights other than the DRLs but even then if you change those I have heard that you may lose your high beam. Electrical issues gat very expensive quickly because electronic components are not repairable usually.
Old 11-28-09, 09:48 AM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
The fact still remains that many people on this forum have had ,at some point in the life of the ballast or bulb, problems with them eve when they used name brand ( non e bay) bulbs. You can claim what you want but I know they are/can be problematic and I would rather not to mess with them right now. To each his own but I want less issues and have no issues with the lights other than the DRLs but even then if you change those I have heard that you may lose your high beam. Electrical issues gat very expensive quickly because electronic components are not repairable usually.
I have read many of the threads on this forum and you can not seriously refer to the sponsors as "name brand". Sorry, $60 hid kits are still 60 dollar HID kits. Name brand is Osram / Philips, not OR@@@cle or HID extra. I dare to say even Xenon Depot had a bunch of D4s bulbs that were faulty. Heck it is not like there is not a bunch of threads on OEM bulbs going out and coming back on and working fine forever. These are on stock cars. HID has been around along time, the fact is D4s has not and there is not many dependable aftermarket d4s bulbs.
Old 11-28-09, 10:04 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

I have read many of the threads on this forum and you can not seriously refer to the sponsors as "name brand". Sorry, $60 hid kits are still 60 dollar HID kits. Name brand is Osram / Philips, not OR@@@cle or HID extra. I dare to say even Xenon Depot had a bunch of D4s bulbs that were faulty. Heck it is not like there is not a bunch of threads on OEM bulbs going out and coming back on and working fine forever. These are on stock cars. HID has been around along time, the fact is D4s has not and there is not many dependable aftermarket d4s bulbs.
i agree, quality hid stuff are all expensive, you can see kyang with his hid bulbs, over 200 bucks.

back in my 2gs days, hid kits just started to get popular, and a lot of people (including me) went with expensive philips/osram stuff and we hardly hear any problems over YEARS (we are talking about 3-4 yrs easily).

gradually over the years more and more non-quality stuff come into the market and prices have gone down. but i have also hear a lot more people with issues coz' the stuff they use are not quality stuff. and good analysis quickly reveals the problems mostly in the aftermarket ballasts, bulbs, or wiring.

i am confident when i say if people do their homework carefully and select good solid quality parts for their cars, chances of problems will be minimized. that's what i do, and honestly over the years i will just say i have only had one bad experience and i blame myself for trusting a product too early and easily.