GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Engine Vibrates Rough at Idle??

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-10, 01:17 AM
escboat
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've the same issue with my 06 GS300. At a complete stop while on DRIVE, the RPM would drop to 400 and my engine would vibrates. It would do that about 90% of the time, but it'll only vibrates about 5-10% of the time when the headlights are turn on. I got my alternated rebuilt about 2 months ago. With the newly rebuilt alternator. The voltage across my battery is at 14V on cold start-up, 13.67V when it's warmed up and 13.2V when the engine vibrates. Any suggestions?

Last edited by escboat; 12-28-10 at 01:41 AM.
Old 01-04-11, 12:00 AM
ccboye
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GS350Lexus
Word guys keep this updated because I am having same issue but WORSE after 2 weeks of valve spring recall done on my car.
I also have MORE engine vibration now after performing the valve spring recall on my 07 GS 350.
Old 01-04-11, 04:03 AM
lkapimp216
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have any of you guys cleaned out you throttle body this will help with a rough idle, especially if you ride with dirty air filters for periods of time
Old 01-04-11, 03:39 PM
bigblack06
Forum Moderator

Received 327 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
No product added to the gas will do anything at the root of the problem in a pure DI engine like the GS300 or IS250. If you search you'll find the explanation why, I don't want to type it out again.

For the GS300 there is a TSB to do a top engine clean, if you're still under powertrain warranty ask a service advisor about it.
I tried to use that TSB and my service rep told me that an engine light needs to come on for them to perform this. I really want it done so I'm gonna leave my gas cap off for a few seconds so I can drive to the dealership with it on.
Old 01-04-11, 05:52 PM
ccboye
Driver School Candidate

The service guy convinced me to do a throttle body cleaning when I went for the valve spring replacement recall, and my car has been underperforming since then. I don't which one is specifically causing the rough idle or decrease in power, but I wish I had not allowed them to touch my car!
Old 01-04-11, 06:06 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by bigblack06
I tried to use that TSB and my service rep told me that an engine light needs to come on for them to perform this. I really want it done so I'm gonna leave my gas cap off for a few seconds so I can drive to the dealership with it on.
I wouldn't even waste my time taking off the gas cap. They'll just scan the code and find that it's the gas cap and they'll fix that issue, rather than clean the engine.
Old 01-04-11, 07:07 PM
bigblack06
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by GSteg
I wouldn't even waste my time taking off the gas cap. They'll just scan the code and find that it's the gas cap and they'll fix that issue, rather than clean the engine.
Damn, Damn, Damn anybody got any suggestions as to what I can do to get a code to show up so they can do this darn TSIB.
Old 01-04-11, 09:26 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Damn, Damn, Damn anybody got any suggestions as to what I can do to get a code to show up so they can do this darn TSIB.
Just keep complaining, worst case scenario call up lexus of north america and let them know.
Old 01-04-11, 09:50 PM
bigblack06
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by GS350Lexus
Just keep complaining, worst case scenario call up lexus of north america and let them know.
Thank You!
Old 01-05-11, 06:34 AM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Thank You!
For what it's worth, I complained about these symptoms for nearly 6 months. Actually, I started complaining about it before the TSIB for the GS300 even came out. I had sent a SA a video of my tach jumping all over the place during cold startups but didn't get anywhere with it.

The Canadian version of the TSIB for this was lagged behind by a number of months, but after it came out in Canada the SA called me and asked if I was still having issues. I said yes, and they booked me in for the top engine clean without any fuss and performed it based on my previous complaints and the video I had shown them of the behavior. The wording of the TSIB itself doesn't actually require that the misfire codes be present, but I can see how some places might interpret it this way. You may want to try another dealership. My car had around 60,000 miles on it when it was done.

Since it was done, the car has NOT shuddered during stops when driving but it continues, to a lesser extent, to bounce the tach up and down a bit when starting it up for the first time for the day though it is not as pronounced. I have given up on trying to have them figure out why it does that. In fact, even when I brought it to them for the top engine cleaning they said that their tech didn't notice anything. I guess it's possible it was having a good day, or that they had it running for a few minutes to bring it onto a lift before a tech even looked at it properly.

I suspect that the car may have a slightly dirty throttle plate causing it to be a bit sticky until it warms up a bit but I guess this wouldn't be covered if it were the case. Given that it's electronically controlled and I have no help it would be a royal pain to try to clean it manually in my condo garage by myself. Eventually, I'll take off the intake and eyeball it and perhaps try an induction service. Problem is, I don't know which type of service or place I can trust to do this yet.

For what it's worth I know how you feel as I felt the same way while I was getting the cold shoulder about getting something done under warranty that was clearly a problem but eventually they came through. If the car goes another 60K before having symptoms of the problem again I'll be happy and gladly pay a few hundred dollars out of pocket to have the procedure repeated but as I likely drive the car a lot harder than the previous owner I'm hoping that perhaps it may not return for a longer period of time. Hopefully stepping on it frequently will keep things flowing.

Last edited by BinaryJay; 01-05-11 at 06:37 AM.
Old 01-05-11, 06:58 AM
lkapimp216
Lexus Champion

I just pulled the intake off sprayed removed the sensor sprayed the cleaner and scrubbed it with a toothbrush and she's ran fine ever since.
Old 01-05-11, 08:06 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by lkapimp216
I just pulled the intake off sprayed removed the sensor sprayed the cleaner and scrubbed it with a toothbrush and she's ran fine ever since.

you had vibrations before?
you have AWD?
Old 01-05-11, 08:10 AM
bigblack06
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
For what it's worth, I complained about these symptoms for nearly 6 months. Actually, I started complaining about it before the TSIB for the GS300 even came out. I had sent a SA a video of my tach jumping all over the place during cold startups but didn't get anywhere with it.

The Canadian version of the TSIB for this was lagged behind by a number of months, but after it came out in Canada the SA called me and asked if I was still having issues. I said yes, and they booked me in for the top engine clean without any fuss and performed it based on my previous complaints and the video I had shown them of the behavior. The wording of the TSIB itself doesn't actually require that the misfire codes be present, but I can see how some places might interpret it this way. You may want to try another dealership. My car had around 60,000 miles on it when it was done.

Since it was done, the car has NOT shuddered during stops when driving but it continues, to a lesser extent, to bounce the tach up and down a bit when starting it up for the first time for the day though it is not as pronounced. I have given up on trying to have them figure out why it does that. In fact, even when I brought it to them for the top engine cleaning they said that their tech didn't notice anything. I guess it's possible it was having a good day, or that they had it running for a few minutes to bring it onto a lift before a tech even looked at it properly.

I suspect that the car may have a slightly dirty throttle plate causing it to be a bit sticky until it warms up a bit but I guess this wouldn't be covered if it were the case. Given that it's electronically controlled and I have no help it would be a royal pain to try to clean it manually in my condo garage by myself. Eventually, I'll take off the intake and eyeball it and perhaps try an induction service. Problem is, I don't know which type of service or place I can trust to do this yet.

For what it's worth I know how you feel as I felt the same way while I was getting the cold shoulder about getting something done under warranty that was clearly a problem but eventually they came through. If the car goes another 60K before having symptoms of the problem again I'll be happy and gladly pay a few hundred dollars out of pocket to have the procedure repeated but as I likely drive the car a lot harder than the previous owner I'm hoping that perhaps it may not return for a longer period of time. Hopefully stepping on it frequently will keep things flowing.
thanks, i guess i will keep complaining, I ain't gettin no toothbrush and cleaner its to damn cold outside maybe if it was like 65F i would but it like 25F here. I will def. try to make a dent in this problem becuase its getting annoying when i'm at a red light and I feel as though my car might stop.
Old 01-05-11, 08:21 AM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

What sensor are you talking about?
Old 01-05-11, 09:24 AM
lkapimp216
Lexus Champion

I'm rwd but I did experience abnormal idle it seemed pike it was idling low and it would spike up at times. I believe there is a sensor on the intake hose before the throttle body I guess for vacuum leaks??? Like I said I just pulled the hose and sprayed throttle body cleaner in it and brushed it with a toothbrush I followed the directions on the can and my car hasn't done it since.

Quick Reply: Engine Vibrates Rough at Idle??