GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

The Better Tire-Michelin Pilot Plus or Good Year Response

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-09, 06:14 PM
AlDavison
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The service technician from Lexus states that the tries are defected. The alignment is perfect!

I feel that the tire company should give me my $100 back for the alignment.

These tires suck for me. The Sam club rotated my tires and they still pull to the right. I think that all 4 tires suck!

The Sam Club wants to replace them, but I think that I should just get another brand. Forget this mess.

--Al
Old 10-28-09, 07:33 PM
GS2006
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AlDavison
The service technician from Lexus states that the tries are defected. The alignment is perfect!

I feel that the tire company should give me my $100 back for the alignment.

These tires suck for me. The Sam club rotated my tires and they still pull to the right. I think that all 4 tires suck!

The Sam Club wants to replace them, but I think that I should just get another brand. Forget this mess.

--Al
Did Lexus offer to rotate RF to LF and LF to RF to show the pull in the opposite direction?
I do not believe the tires are defective. However the design specs are not compatible with some of these cars. The combination of the two causes the problem. Not sure why only some GS cars are effected unless camber being slightly different in combo with the tires amplifies the effect. I went through 6 tires and since it is a design issue, it will not make a difference. I ended up getting the PS2 and most of it went away. If you are after long tire life, you might want to look at a Bridgestone. It is a touring tire but has high mileage rating as well. It should be a very quite tire

Did Lexus give you a print out of the align? If so, can you post the readout via a picture?

Last edited by GS2006; 10-28-09 at 07:38 PM.
Old 10-29-09, 02:43 AM
AlDavison
Driver

Originally Posted by GS2006
Did Lexus offer to rotate RF to LF and LF to RF to show the pull in the opposite direction?
He said that it's a directional tire. He would do it.
Did Lexus give you a print out of the align? If so, can you post the readout via a picture?
No Problem.

I am thinking about the Eagle F1 ASY.

--Al
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Alignment.pdf (69.0 KB, 214 views)
Old 10-29-09, 05:50 AM
GS2006
Lead Lap

Looks like your toe was out just a tad before. Not going to cause a pull though. Did Lexus say anything about your left side SAI being out? They say anything about parts bent? A difference in side to side SAI can cause a pull, but not sure how much diff it has to be. If it did not pull before, I doubt that is an issue. Do you notice it only slow speed or both high and low speed?

For ref, here is mine:
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h1...s/IMGP5662.jpg
Old 10-29-09, 11:50 AM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I just visited my GS that I'm still waiting on them to deliver (they are replacing at least passenger side headlamps which constantly have water in them after it rains from my observations of the car over multiple days and between getting cleared up, they are also replacing the rear sun shade).

For the first time, I don't know why it never occurred to me before, I looked at what tires were on it. They look like fairly new, if not new, Pilot MXM4s. Does anybody have any experience with these tires? Are they better or worse than the OEM tires? I'm going to hazard a guess that for a used car, I could be getting tires a lot worse.

Did find a few threads about it, like:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/the...xm4-tires.html

Still interested in any additional opinions. I'm not sure if getting a new set of wheels and tires for the snow this year are in the budget, so I'm hoping that these will do fine for a season.

Last edited by BinaryJay; 10-29-09 at 11:55 AM.
Old 10-29-09, 12:26 PM
GS2006
Lead Lap

^^
BinaryJay,
You might want to start another thread. Also, might want to put it in the tire rack tire section.
When you do, put the size of the tire..

Scratch the below if your talking about Pilot HX MXM4 that are approved for the GS in 18"

I'm not sure this tire is for the GS with 18" rims.. I not sure it is a match.. You need to put the details of the car and tire size. Could be the tire does not match the load rating required. If so, you have a legit reason to ask for the correct spec tire.. However more info is needed. Best put it in the tire section for a better response.

Last edited by GS2006; 10-29-09 at 12:34 PM.
Old 11-04-09, 08:15 AM
GS2006
Lead Lap

Any update? New tires? Pull gone?
Old 11-04-09, 05:25 PM
AlDavison
Driver

Arrow

Any update? New tires? Pull gone?
Yes,
New tires were ordered and the pull is gone. You were right indeed. The Michelin A/S Plus got problems by pulling to the right.

So now I got the Eagle F1 Asymmetric. I only had it for about 2-days now. I notice that it grips the road better in a performance way. It gives the GS350 a tight feel. It's more tighter for the corners and when I brake, it really grab the road in a performance way. The GS350 really likes it.
http://www.tirerack.com/survey/Surve...ommentStatus=P

The Michelin A/S Plus is the same size tire, but it is actually bigger. I cannot get the tire brush in between the tire and the inside fender: not so with the Eagle F1 Asymmetric. The Michelin A/S Plus feels heavier on the car and I notice a drop in gas milage for some reason or maybe it's just my mind playing tricks. The Michelin A/S Plus rides smooth and it is quiet. It's feels more like a passenger tire for cruising when comparing it with the Eagle F1 Asymmetric. The Michelin A/S Plus got some serious grip in the rain! Both tires are great. It just depends on the individual.

I know that I only had the tires for a very short time, but it was a very big noticeable different between the two brand tires.

--Al
Old 11-04-09, 09:55 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I have a set of Michellin Pilot AS plus and I love them. I have had a chance to put a bit of mileage on them and they are great. They are very quiet, grip well, and handle well in the rain(I have only had a chance to try them out in light rain). I took off my exhaust today so I can really appreciate the quality and ride comfort of the tire now. They are very quiet. I am happy I spent the extra money
Old 11-05-09, 05:37 AM
AlDavison
Driver

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
They are very quiet. I am happy I spent the extra money
I second this!

I wished that I didn't have problems with the Michelin A/S Plus. I didn't have patients to solve the problem. Two of the new tires that I purchased were defected. It's good to have a forum like this one, because I would have not known about the pull problem. The Eagle F1 Asymmetric tires are completely different, but not in a bad way.

--Al
Old 11-05-09, 12:54 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I am glad it worked out for you. I love the Michellins and even got an alignment to ensure max life. Man if I can 20K out of a set I am going to freak out. The max mileage I have ever gotten out of a set of tires when the car was lowered was 17K but that was when my car was lowered less than 3/4 " with the Tein H techs. I have high hopes for the Pilot sport AS plus
Old 11-07-09, 06:28 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

After about 4 months having Pilot Sport AS Plus on wifey's car, they are getting more loud every week. The performance is great but there is this whistle-type whine to them that is annoying.
Only been 2 weeks but the ExtremeContact DWS I got for my car are more quiet than the Michelins were when new and I hope they stay that way.

Glad you're happy with your Goodyears but they have a history of getting very loud after a while...and they brun up fast. Good luck.
Old 11-08-09, 10:03 AM
AlDavison
Driver

Originally Posted by Ice350
Glad you're happy with your Goodyears but they have a history of getting very loud after a while...and they brun up fast. Good luck.
I doubt the Goodyears will last 24k. I drove 200 miles on the highway yesterday. The Eagle F1 Asymmetric were so smooth and amazingly quite. I don't know how long it will stay that way. Here is a Eagle F1 and Michelin PS2 review. http://www.bmw-sg.com/forums/suspens...in-ps-2-a.html

The ExtremeContact DWS are suppose to be a great tire also.

--Al
Old 11-08-09, 11:49 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I have to have a little faith in a tire that a manufacturer will stand behind for 45K
Old 11-12-09, 03:20 PM
daepp
Driver School Candidate

RESOLUTION. Michelin comped me a set of 4 Pilot MXM4's. Car now goes straight down the road, and it seems like the ride is even less harsh. They are about $50 more per tire, but Michelin didn't charge me - good company.

What I cannot understand is why the tires did what they did!