GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

About to purchase a 07-08 GS-350

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-09, 08:00 PM
KrazyLexus
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About to purchase a 07-08 GS-350

I went and test drove a 2007 GS350 on Saturday at North Park Lexus here in SA. I am completely in love with that car. With 62k it drove like new. Felt like no car I have ever driven. It was smooth, quiet, but I won’t be purchasing that one as it was smoked in. I am going to be making my move in January once I sell all the stuff off my 350Z, and have some extra funds come in that can be used as a nice chunk of a down payment. I am wanting a change from so many Nissan's I have owned in the past and other brands and want to kick back with a nice reliable car that is perfect from the factory where I don't have to do anything too! What I am looking at is a White, Black, Red, or Granite color with black interior. I want Navi, and want the upgraded sound system. Hope they have some come in off leases by then that are certified. They only had two this Saturday.

Would like some advice on what to look out for on a used car as I have never bought a used car and this is a first for me. But I know I am in good hands with Lexus. I am going to get a certified version so I get the extra warranty as well.

Thank you for listening and your time! Appreciate any feedback you guys can provide.
Old 10-19-09, 08:09 PM
greyhndfan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Study these TSBs some may apply to 2007 hopefully not on 2008s. Two common issues we have are clogged hvac lines for AC's. The lines get clogged and end up draining in the front passenger foot area. Second would be dash rattles. Some GS's are more prone than others but at least there are TSBs for them. Lexus will do the work if the car is under waranty but not sure if they'll do if it is under an extended waranty.

http://www.alldatadiy.com/TSB/31/06312321.html
Old 10-19-09, 08:35 PM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Welcome aboard, do a quick search for common issues....you can get lots of feedback...08 added a few changes, like turn blinkers on mirrors, updated wheels bumpers. You should have no problem finding the right car since youre flexible on the colors. Good luck.
Old 10-19-09, 08:50 PM
ivanz
Lead Lap

The AC flooding issue only applies to the 2006 GS...it is not an issue for 07+. You don't have to worry about that.
Old 10-20-09, 05:20 AM
KrazyLexus
Lead Lap

^^ Great to hear guys. All depends on the prices for the 08s in Jan when I am ready. I would love to have a 08.
Old 10-20-09, 05:23 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

im sure you can find some fully loaded 350s coming off leases soon. since your pretty open exterior color wise, you shouldnt have too much of a problem with the black interior. i assume the hardest to find is going to be black on black followed by white on black. their pretty hard to come by.
Old 10-20-09, 05:31 AM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

Personally, I would stay away from 07 or 08 GS because of all the rattling, squeaking and creaking issues. But if you are a type of person that does not notice such things, then go for it. Other than these integrity issues this GS is a solid car.

I am puzzled by your desire to get the Navigation system though. It is a very limited system in two ways:

(1) You can't program it while you're driving. This is a significant limitation and safety issue to me. They think they make us safer by not letting us program while we drive, but stopping on a shoulder of a highway to program Navi is much more dangerous in my opinion;

(2) Lexus charges ridiculous amounts for map update DVDs -- well in excess of $300. You can't find an update DVD below $300 even on Ebay.

I have a 2007 GS that's about to reach lease maturity, and I ordered a 2010 one last week. Though I had both the Navi and Mark Levinson system in the 2007, I ordered by 2010 without either of them. I'm going to get the most advanced navigation system on the market today -- Garmin 1690 -- that is WAY ahead of the Lexus navi and costs a small fraction of it.

I also did not order Mark Levinson system. At $1,600 it is a huge waste of money since it is just marginally better than the standard system. Given that you're buying a used car, you probably won't see much price difference between used GS with or without one.

Good luck.
Old 10-20-09, 05:38 AM
KrazyLexus
Lead Lap

Modeler,

Great info. I do pick up on rattles, etc very easily. But coming from a loud 350Z for so long that might have changed when I can't hear anything in that car anyways since it's so loud. I know the 07 I test drove showed no rattles over any bumps I hit. Maybe they had them resolved from the TSBs. I am mainly getting a 07-08 because that is the price range I can afford now. I could easily do a new one, but I don't want that high of a payment anymore on a car (doing it already on my NISMO 350Z).

I personally rather have a built in Navigation over a aftermarket just sitting on the windshield or somewhere. Wish the dashes could handle aftermarket stereos as my Z has a Kenwood DNX-7140 with the Garmin system built into it. Love that radio.

The standard stereo, when I messed with it, I noticed it didn't have a lot of treble and more bass and mids than anything. I didn't mess with the settings a lot, but I know treble was all the way up. Reason why I am leaning more towards the Mark Lev system.
Old 10-20-09, 06:02 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Modeler
Personally, I would stay away from 07 or 08 GS because of all the rattling, squeaking and creaking issues. But if you are a type of person that does not notice such things, then go for it. Other than these integrity issues this GS is a solid car.

I am puzzled by your desire to get the Navigation system though. It is a very limited system in two ways:

(1) You can't program it while you're driving. This is a significant limitation and safety issue to me. They think they make us safer by not letting us program while we drive, but stopping on a shoulder of a highway to program Navi is much more dangerous in my opinion;

(2) Lexus charges ridiculous amounts for map update DVDs -- well in excess of $300. You can't find an update DVD below $300 even on Ebay.

I have a 2007 GS that's about to reach lease maturity, and I ordered a 2010 one last week. Though I had both the Navi and Mark Levinson system in the 2007, I ordered by 2010 without either of them. I'm going to get the most advanced navigation system on the market today -- Garmin 1690 -- that is WAY ahead of the Lexus navi and costs a small fraction of it.

I also did not order Mark Levinson system. At $1,600 it is a huge waste of money since it is just marginally better than the standard system. Given that you're buying a used car, you probably won't see much price difference between used GS with or without one.

Good luck.

all the 3GS's rattle. i had mine fixed and have been rattle free for 11 months now.

1) as far as the navi goes, i agree the system is not as good as most out there but it is still very useful. i know the 06 4th gen systems you can override and program will driving. with the 07+ 5th gen systems, you can just get the ps dvd/navi override kit and it works just fine.

2) updated navi disc are $200 from sewell lexus

3) i prefer the ml system over the factory system plus it does come with the dvd player and if you get the ps dvd/navi override you'll be able to use the dvd player while driving too. not that i recommend that but its good for long road trips with passengers.
Old 10-21-09, 08:38 AM
KrazyLexus
Lead Lap

Anyone else have anything to look for?

Thanks!
Old 10-21-09, 08:47 AM
rmedine
Driver School Candidate

Rattles Rattles Rattles. I am very unhappy with mine due to the constant rattling. Its been in the dealer over 10 times to get rattles fixed. Other than that I love the car but the rattles are very frustrating when you pay ~$50K for a car.

If you don't care about the rattles its a great car. But the car is so quiet inside you hear every little rattle. Not bad if you listen to music but listening to Howard Stern in the morning I still hear everything.
Old 10-21-09, 08:56 AM
KrazyLexus
Lead Lap

So I have to assume the 08 is no different over a 07 for rattles at least. I am tossing up in the air if the little tweaks are really worth the additional price for a 08. To me, not really.
Old 10-21-09, 08:49 PM
hughh
Pole Position

Well...here's one 07 GS350 without any rattles so far. But then, I don't quite have 14,000 miles on the odo, so maybe the rattles will start later, I hope not.

On the navigation, the only positive I can see is that it comes with the reverse camera. It's a life saver when you are about to back out of a parking slot in a crowded parking lot.

Last edited by hughh; 10-21-09 at 08:54 PM.
Old 10-21-09, 10:40 PM
ivanz
Lead Lap

My 07 had rattles when it was below 10 C and really annoying ones when below -5 C. However, 1 visit to the dealer fixed all that (they did 2 TSBs for rattles at once). I'm guessing sinc eyou are in a warmer climate, you won't have the issue.
Old 10-21-09, 10:42 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

My 08 GS350 AWD is still dead silent at 14k miles. No rattles.

Quick Reply: About to purchase a 07-08 GS-350