GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Let's play a game! (the MPG game)

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-09, 04:58 AM
slk_dds
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For me during the first 30~40 miles, I usually average around 29~33MPG (highest I ever seen was 38).

Around half tank, usually average between 22~24... But then my evil twin (racing spirit awakes) takes over, end up with 19~21 for the whole tank...

FYI
Last time I took a 200 mile road trip these were the average I got:

-ON THE WAY THERE: averaged @ 80 MPH --> 28.5 MPG

-ON THE WAY BACK: averaged @ 100 MPH --> 25 MPG
(at one point I was gunning at 140 MPH for about 30 min, I would of gone faster if mine does not cutoff at 141...
I missed my SupraTT, it had 550WHP topes out @ 186)

Overall I am happy with GS' performance and its fuel efficiency, as long as my evil twin does not take over !!!
Old 10-28-09, 06:36 AM
vuiskool
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

you can drive at 30 mph for like 5 minutes and come up with outrageous numbers.

50/50 city highway and i usually get 350 on a tank now and on the mpg display 22.0mpg
Old 10-28-09, 07:27 AM
Arantant
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

I think I posted this before at some point.

Let's see who can beat me for a sustained MPG over 100+ miles (and flat surfaces, not downhill) (also please excuse the crappy cell phone camera):

At High Average Speed:

At Lower Average Speed:
Old 10-28-09, 10:13 AM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by tcr101
heh, for the prius i idled around the gas parking lot at 4 in the morning ill try it in the gs some day see how high i can get it
LOLOL!!! u won't get very far..... even with a v6, @ idle it's still a gas guzzlin' car =[

Originally Posted by Rider
how come mine is too low?? is it our gas? I am not an aggressive driver, ranging around 70mph
well... pay attention to your meter, and also, put into consideration the fact if u do a lot of city driving or not lol, i did a lot of highway vs city so it's different for me

Originally Posted by GS350Lexus
lol i get like 13 or 14 at MOST
take your 100lb foot off that damn gas pedal and you should be saving loads more gas hahaha

Originally Posted by slk_dds
For me during the first 30~40 miles, I usually average around 29~33MPG (highest I ever seen was 38).

Around half tank, usually average between 22~24... But then my evil twin (racing spirit awakes) takes over, end up with 19~21 for the whole tank...

FYI
Last time I took a 200 mile road trip these were the average I got:

-ON THE WAY THERE: averaged @ 80 MPH --> 28.5 MPG

-ON THE WAY BACK: averaged @ 100 MPH --> 25 MPG
(at one point I was gunning at 140 MPH for about 30 min, I would of gone faster if mine does not cutoff at 141...
I missed my SupraTT, it had 550WHP topes out @ 186)

Overall I am happy with GS' performance and its fuel efficiency, as long as my evil twin does not take over !!!
lol o yeah... i miss the speed sometimes, when i had the miata i hit 0-100 in a matter of seconds, and doing top speed runs were just soo invigorating(especially with the top down) i've never seemed to hit anything past 130ish in the convertible though (soo scary)

as for the GS, i like it's fuel economy vs my old acura legend, hell of a lot more gas saving, just at idle it drinks gas like a kid drinking liquid candy

Originally Posted by vuiskool
you can drive at 30 mph for like 5 minutes and come up with outrageous numbers.

50/50 city highway and i usually get 350 on a tank now and on the mpg display 22.0mpg
yeahhhhh i get the same in the end, right now i'm at 20 lol, with lots n lots of city driving =[

Originally Posted by Arantant
I think I posted this before at some point.

Let's see who can beat me for a sustained MPG over 100+ miles (and flat surfaces, not downhill) (also please excuse the crappy cell phone camera):

At High Average Speed:

At Lower Average Speed:
impressive! i will take upon this challenge on my next run, stay tuned FOLKS!
Old 10-28-09, 03:31 PM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

If any of you take a road trip on a freeway that is not congested, you should have no trouble getting 34 mpg with a GS350.

Try this on your next long road trip. Fill up at a gas station located near the Freeway on ramp. After filling the tank, accelerate very slowly to 60 mph and set the cruise. Stay in the right lane and just ride along. You WILL get 34 mpg!

I have done this a number of times from Minneapolis to Chicago.
Old 10-28-09, 04:12 PM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX
lol o yeah... i miss the speed sometimes, when i had the miata i hit 0-100 in a matter of seconds, and doing top speed runs were just soo invigorating(especially with the top down) i've never seemed to hit anything past 130ish in the convertible though (soo scary)
Fastest I've gone is on my bike, at over 150 mph (indicated)... I can't imagine a convertible being scary. Note that I only did this once for a very short period of time just after I picked it up to "break it in". This is NOT a habit of mine!

Off topic... but is there any way to change the colour scheme of the 06 display to have that black background? The default blue/teal one is pretty nasty.
Old 10-28-09, 04:31 PM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

mine.. 08 GS460

and i know what the miles/distance says, but this is pretty avg for me.. roughly always around 25.5+
Attached Thumbnails Let's play a game! (the MPG game)-24013259.jpg  
Old 10-28-09, 09:03 PM
Franknyc30
Driver

Ive been told that if you drive your car as if there were no brakes you can improve your gas mileage. Basically you will need to do a lot of coasting and dont slam on the throttle when the light turns green. You also have to look way ahead of the car ahead of you to anticipate traffic. I have an 07 GS 350 and i average 24 to 25 MPG, but its hard to drive like that all the time
Old 10-28-09, 09:18 PM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

This is what you get when you get on the highway and put it on cruise at 45 (immediately after you fill-up)

BTW this is photoshopped LOL
Attached Thumbnails Let's play a game! (the MPG game)-mpg.jpg  

Last edited by EyeKutr; 10-28-09 at 09:42 PM.
Old 10-28-09, 09:23 PM
kyang91
Lexus Champion

haha......with the way I drive there is no way I can compete in this.....
Old 10-28-09, 09:32 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
If any of you take a road trip on a freeway that is not congested, you should have no trouble getting 34 mpg with a GS350.

Try this on your next long road trip. Fill up at a gas station located near the Freeway on ramp. After filling the tank, accelerate very slowly to 60 mph and set the cruise. Stay in the right lane and just ride along. You WILL get 34 mpg!

I have done this a number of times from Minneapolis to Chicago.
lol, i'mma try it, i thought the higher the mph u go (staying steady) the higher the mpg's you get?

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
Fastest I've gone is on my bike, at over 150 mph (indicated)... I can't imagine a convertible being scary. Note that I only did this once for a very short period of time just after I picked it up to "break it in". This is NOT a habit of mine!

Off topic... but is there any way to change the colour scheme of the 06 display to have that black background? The default blue/teal one is pretty nasty.
nope... u can change green, i believe gray, not black, and blue... to do that u click on Display, look through the menu's on that area and you should see where u can change background color

Originally Posted by whlkev
mine.. 08 GS460

and i know what the miles/distance says, but this is pretty avg for me.. roughly always around 25.5+
jesus christ, do you even pass idle at all? LOL wth!!! if only i could do that

Originally Posted by Franknyc30
Ive been told that if you drive your car as if there were no brakes you can improve your gas mileage. Basically you will need to do a lot of coasting and dont slam on the throttle when the light turns green. You also have to look way ahead of the car ahead of you to anticipate traffic. I have an 07 GS 350 and i average 24 to 25 MPG, but its hard to drive like that all the time
yeah frank, i feel ya there... i did that about 2-3 tanks, got the same mpg's and once in a while after those 2-3 tanks, i get bored and just whomp that gas pedal and watch the needle fly =[

Originally Posted by EyeKutr
This is what you get when you get on the highway and put it on cruise at 45 (immediately after you fill-up)
LOL eyekutr! i dont think i wanna be doing 45 on a 55, let alone 45 on the 65 road i make the trip on almost every morning!
Old 10-28-09, 09:34 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Originally Posted by kyang91
haha......with the way I drive there is no way I can compete in this.....
i know, i've been neglective on my last tank, NOT hitting that gas everytime i hop on the interstate is soo hard.... it's like taunting candy from a baby, so i will have to wait on my next tank to show everyone off! =]
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

must be nice having a hybrid =/
vietdeluxx
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

06 GS300 RWD - Mixture of city and hwy --- by the end of the tank 27.5 mpg. Normal driving.
Old 10-28-09, 09:41 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Originally Posted by vwynn
must be nice having a hybrid =/
who are you referring to? lol

Originally Posted by vietdeluxx
06 GS300 RWD - Mixture of city and hwy --- by the end of the tank 27.5 mpg. Normal driving.
man.... somewhat makes me regret getting a gs300 vs the 430 =[ i had the offer on the glacier frost one too

Quick Reply: Let's play a game! (the MPG game)