GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Let's play a game! (the MPG game)

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-09 | 12:20 AM
mysteryan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by whlkev
mine.. 08 GS460

and i know what the miles/distance says, but this is pretty avg for me.. roughly always around 25.5+
Average about the same 25.5-28. Can't really achieve over 30 at tank's end with the stop and go traffic here is Los Angeles. Surprised you get the same on a V8.
Old 10-29-09 | 01:04 AM
Rider
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mysteryan
Average about the same 25.5-28. Can't really achieve over 30 at tank's end with the stop and go traffic here is Los Angeles. Surprised you get the same on a V8.
V8 - 8 Speed
Old 10-29-09 | 07:40 AM
worker
Lexus Champion

This is from my log on gasbuddy.

gs430 '06 (Red)
Camry SE '07 V6 (Blue) (Sold)

Old 10-29-09 | 08:18 AM
Lexzam
Driver

Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
If any of you take a road trip on a freeway that is not congested, you should have no trouble getting 34 mpg with a GS350.

Try this on your next long road trip. Fill up at a gas station located near the Freeway on ramp. After filling the tank, accelerate very slowly to 60 mph and set the cruise. Stay in the right lane and just ride along. You WILL get 34 mpg!

I have done this a number of times from Minneapolis to Chicago.
Cruise control should for sure give a nice fuel economy to start with. A few ideas on how to improve further:

You should be able to better fuel economy by accelerating more quickly (of course not meaning to use WOT, but rather just rather a good solid acceleration) to the cruising speed. Slow acceleration keeps the engine at less economical range for longer, hence economy suffers.

Normally one can also better the economy of the cruise control, apart from on a completely flat road. Cruise control unnecessarily tries to keep pace in uphill and does not allow speed to pick up in downhill.
Old 10-29-09 | 09:33 AM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX
who are you referring to? lol

man.... somewhat makes me regret getting a gs300 vs the 430 =[ i had the offer on the glacier frost one too
referring to whoever with a hybrid haha..

im here getting 18-19 mpg average.. arrrggg...
Old 10-29-09 | 01:10 PM
worker
Lexus Champion

man.... somewhat makes me regret getting a gs300 vs the 430 =[ i had the offer on the glacier frost one too
gs430 and I'm geting about 25mpg.
Old 10-29-09 | 08:09 PM
XxGoKoUxX

lol damn worker, u know, today... on my trip to school (20 miles approximated one-way) i can barely manage to get my mpg's up at all.... i started with 20.6 and ended the day with 21.4 =[ i gotta get back IN THE GAME!!
Old 10-30-09 | 02:18 AM
Rider
Lexus Test Driver

Why are you guys making a big deal about mpgs?? A 300+ hp, V8 car is supposed to CONSUME!! lol.. If you care that much get a yaris

I guess people with 20mpg+ NEVER floor the pedal!! coz iv seen GS' with 10 mpg here hahha...
Old 10-30-09 | 06:05 AM
XxGoKoUxX

Originally Posted by Rider
Why are you guys making a big deal about mpgs?? A 300+ hp, V8 car is supposed to CONSUME!! lol.. If you care that much get a yaris

I guess people with 20mpg+ NEVER floor the pedal!! coz iv seen GS' with 10 mpg here hahha...
lol..... we all know 300+ HP v8s are suppose to COMSUME, but this is a game, a mpg game, to see who so far can get the highest number off of their meter! kinda fun if u ask me, i play this damn game EVERYTIME I drive hahahaha and yea, GS's can get as low as 10mpgs, but that's another game for another day hahahaha

i floor the pedal AT LEAST once everyday, you just can't help feeling the car just fly from 0-80 in a matter of seconds =]
Old 10-30-09 | 06:19 AM
vuiskool
Instructor

lol..... we all know 300+ HP v8s are suppose to COMSUME, but this is a game, a mpg game, to see who so far can get the highest number off of their meter! kinda fun if u ask me, i play this damn game EVERYTIME I drive hahahaha and yea, GS's can get as low as 10mpgs, but that's another game for another day hahahaha

i floor the pedal AT LEAST once everyday, you just can't help feeling the car just fly from 0-80 in a matter of seconds =]
I want to floor it past 120, which i have never done in any car before, but the other side of me tells me not to. Cops don't usually let me go on any tickets, and my V1 is working, but im just too paranoid. So i just floor to 80.
Old 10-30-09 | 07:15 AM
twylie
Advanced

just got back from a 1,000 mile round trip to FL and back. Managed 25+MPG w/ cruise set at indicated 80 (77 actual). Last 100 miles was just getting into a new tank and it read 26.3 when I puled into the driveway last night. I've found the indicated MPG to be pretty accurate. When around town, it's usually within a couple of tenths. The worst it was off was 1MPG on a highway tank (indicator showed 24.3, actual calculated was 25.3), but it's always been pessimistic and indicated worse than actual/calculated MPG (miles driven / gallons required to fill up).

On a side note, it really takes a couple of long drives in the GS to appreciate what a wonderful car it is. I've owned my GS430 since Aug 1 and this week was the first extended trip in it. 8 hours of driving goes by very quickly with the comfort, quiet, and great audio setup. I have another 1,000+ mile trip scheduled ina couple of weeks and I'm already looking forward to the drive!
Old 10-30-09 | 08:58 AM
worker
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Rider

It's my commute car and I only floor it when needed.
Old 10-30-09 | 08:26 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Originally Posted by vuiskool
I want to floor it past 120, which i have never done in any car before, but the other side of me tells me not to. Cops don't usually let me go on any tickets, and my V1 is working, but im just too paranoid. So i just floor to 80.
hahahaha i feel ya there, fastest i took was 110! and i was scared ****less

Originally Posted by twylie
just got back from a 1,000 mile round trip to FL and back. Managed 25+MPG w/ cruise set at indicated 80 (77 actual). Last 100 miles was just getting into a new tank and it read 26.3 when I puled into the driveway last night. I've found the indicated MPG to be pretty accurate. When around town, it's usually within a couple of tenths. The worst it was off was 1MPG on a highway tank (indicator showed 24.3, actual calculated was 25.3), but it's always been pessimistic and indicated worse than actual/calculated MPG (miles driven / gallons required to fill up).

On a side note, it really takes a couple of long drives in the GS to appreciate what a wonderful car it is. I've owned my GS430 since Aug 1 and this week was the first extended trip in it. 8 hours of driving goes by very quickly with the comfort, quiet, and great audio setup. I have another 1,000+ mile trip scheduled ina couple of weeks and I'm already looking forward to the drive!
man twylie, i'm looking forward to my trip to miami even more now that you talk about it, 1000 miles is a loooooong trip! and if it's that enjoyable to you? oooo boy. do u mind telling me how much u spent on ur trip altogether? (gas-wise)

Originally Posted by worker
It's my commute car and I only floor it when needed.
hahaha.... mine's a commute car too =[

on another note, full tank, stop and go traffic for 1-hr and i achieved 23mpgs and kept a FULL tank still =] i am HAPPY! altho i did **** off some impatient drivers (one tried to cut me off and found out the hard way not to do that in traffic)
Old 10-31-09 | 06:34 AM
twylie
Advanced

man twylie, i'm looking forward to my trip to miami even more now that you talk about it, 1000 miles is a loooooong trip! and if it's that enjoyable to you? oooo boy. do u mind telling me how much u spent on ur trip altogether? (gas-wise)
ATL -> TPA -> ATL, about 510mi each way with maybe 50 miles around town while I was there. Just under 3 tanks of gas @ around $40-43 each. I'd guess ~$125-ish total. I drove down on Monday and back on Thursday so it wasn't all at one stretch, but very relaxing compared to doing it in my old DD.
Old 10-31-09 | 11:34 AM
XxGoKoUxX

wow, 3-4 tanks is what i do in 1 week in my gs hahahaha, the things sucks gas with heavy heavy traffic around!

so far my tank's averaged out @ 22mpg w/ in-city driving and 50 miles in

Quick Reply: Let's play a game! (the MPG game)