GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

How to Replace Air Condition Filter on '06 GS300 AWD?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-09, 07:17 AM
Evel
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to Replace Air Condition Filter on '06 GS300 AWD?

GS300 owners,
I saw a thread on this months ago, but cannot find it now. Has anyone changed out their air condition filter themselves? If so, can you share the instructions with me. I'm about to have my 30K maintenance done by my mechnanich (not dealership) & received a quote of $54 (aftermarket filter by Fram) & $66 labor. I'm hopping to save a few bucks by installing it myself.

I seem to recall that there is a trick to to properly releasing the filter from its compartment by having the vent setting to fresh air circulate or re-circulate.

Looking to get 30K service done later today or tomoorrow, so I need feedback asap. .
Old 10-30-09, 08:03 AM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I've been looking everywhere for a service manual for this car online but so far no luck. I found one easily for my Matrix and it was a great help. The need to have one for the GS is even greater with the labor cost of even simple things like filter changes seemingly pretty high.
Old 10-30-09, 08:37 AM
twylie
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

It takes 5 minutes to change the filter; definitely do it yourself. I have posted an old video I made of how to get to it. Once you remove the access panel, you need to have the AC set to recirc in order to raise the door covering the filter. Once you have the access panel removed, switch from recirc to fresh a few times and you'll see the door lift out of the way. Whatever you do, don't force it as it's a difficult and expensive repair.

Once set to recirc, the door will motor out of the way and from there the filter lifts up and slides out.

sorry for the shaky video, I was testing out a Flip video camera and intended to go back and redo this video. Maybe this weekend I'll do one with voiceover showing the door opening and closing with switching from recirc to vent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2O09PQ47o0

HTH
Old 10-30-09, 08:43 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

great video teylie, that's pretty much it, right behind the glove box
Old 10-30-09, 08:49 AM
Evel
Driver

Originally Posted by twylie
It takes 5 minutes to change the filter; definitely do it yourself. I have posted an old video I made of how to get to it. Once you remove the access panel, you need to have the AC set to recirc in order to raise the door covering the filter. Once you have the access panel removed, switch from recirc to fresh a few times and you'll see the door lift out of the way. Whatever you do, don't force it as it's a difficult and expensive repair.

Once set to recirc, the door will motor out of the way and from there the filter lifts up and slides out.

sorry for the shaky video, I was testing out a Flip video camera and intended to go back and redo this video. Maybe this weekend I'll do one with voiceover showing the door opening and closing with switching from recirc to vent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2O09PQ47o0

HTH
Twylie,

I appreciate the summary info & link to video. I'll give it a shot. Thanks for helping me save some cash.
Old 10-30-09, 09:02 AM
stvincent
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Evel
GS300 owners,
I'm about to have my 30K maintenance done by my mechnanich (not dealership) & received a quote of $54 (aftermarket filter by Fram) & $66 labor. I'm hopping to save a few bucks by installing it myself.
save little more.. you can get the oem cabin filter for $20 online.
Old 10-30-09, 10:43 AM
twa2k
Driver School Candidate

I just changed mine 2 days ago...Just follow the instructions in the Owners Manual.

In the glove box - I had taken the access door off and couldn't see anything that looked like a filter. That's when I went to the driver's seat and started the engine. Switched the air to "Recirculate". Looking into the glove box, I could see the little white "door" open...tada - there's the filter! Gently pull it out and remove dirty filter from the tray. Replace with a new filter. It's very simple. Just put the air in RECIRCULATE !!!

ps - a/c does not have to be on.
Old 10-30-09, 07:12 PM
Evel
Driver

Originally Posted by stvincent
save little more.. you can get the oem cabin filter for $20 online.
St. Vincent,

Thanks for tip!
Old 10-30-09, 07:14 PM
Evel
Driver

Originally Posted by twa2k
I just changed mine 2 days ago...Just follow the instructions in the Owners Manual.

In the glove box - I had taken the access door off and couldn't see anything that looked like a filter. That's when I went to the driver's seat and started the engine. Switched the air to "Recirculate". Looking into the glove box, I could see the little white "door" open...tada - there's the filter! Gently pull it out and remove dirty filter from the tray. Replace with a new filter. It's very simple. Just put the air in RECIRCULATE !!!

ps - a/c does not have to be on.
Twa2k,

Thanks for the info.
Old 10-30-09, 07:22 PM
Evel
Driver

Thanks to all for the info on this topic. I will definitely replace it myself. Got the remaining 30K service items performed for $230 w/tax versus the $600 that my nearby Lexus dealer quoted. Bananas. On the negative side, in my rush to the aftermarket mechanic (for some reason) I side swiped a curb trying to get around another car waiting for traffic light to change. Yeah, you know it. A nice 2 inch long gash along the edge of the right front wheel, now on the rear after the tire rotation. Damn, Damn, Damn! Aggggh. And of course, the wheel insurance I purchased has expired now. Oh well.
Old 12-18-09, 05:25 PM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Just an update......
WIX Part # 24511 at rockauto.com is like $10 each and is charcoal impregnated and IMO better than the lexus part.