GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

cracked front Windshield

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-09, 02:49 PM
LIMS407
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default cracked front Windshield

drivin on the highway today saw this little stone flyin towards me and now i have small cracked in my front winshield almost inch long but i can only feel the cracked outside not inside...whats best way to fix this??
Old 11-09-09, 02:52 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

if it's an inch long, i am not sure if you can still repair it. you might need to replace the windshield go ask a windshield glass shop and see if they can repair it
Old 11-09-09, 04:45 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Many glass shops can fix a crack if it can be covered by a dollar bill. Call around quick, because that crack will grow very fast and its direction is unpredictable.
Old 11-09-09, 04:50 PM
stvincent
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

damn.. i hear that oem front windshield can cost up 1500+.. hope you can fix it somehow.
Old 11-09-09, 05:15 PM
Lexus GS3
Trouble Maker

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by stvincent
damn.. i hear that oem front windshield can cost up 1500+.. hope you can fix it somehow.
Yupz i had to replaced mines 2 months ago.. I got OEM windshield. Costed me $1374.24 after insurance paid only partial, cuz i didnt want aftermarket.
Old 11-09-09, 07:36 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

I replaced a windshield on my wife's RX two months ago at Safelite. I did not want to file an insurance claim and paid cash, it cost me $265 for everything.

Oh, yeah, it does not say "lexus" in the lower left corner anymore. Other then that I can't find a single thing being different from OEM.
Old 11-09-09, 07:50 PM
LIMS407
Pole Position

stoppin by dealership tomorrow since i gotta do oil change anyway....really hope i dont have to replace whole windshield...check the Safelite online and their reviews horrific bad customer service and bad results...anybody know good company i can look for??
Old 11-09-09, 09:00 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I would just file a claim. do you have glass coverage????
Old 11-10-09, 04:21 AM
MichaelPea
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I just had a new Lexus windshield installed in my '08 GS last month. It was $1607 but the insurance covered all but the deductible. Fortunately, the car is only a year old and they'll cover for OEM glass for a couple years. After that, it's aftermarket unless you pay for the OEM glass. This time around, I insisted on OEM glass because last time (this last winter) I allowed them to replace with aftermarket glass. It worked well since I stayed dry but the wipers didn't respond correctly with the afermarket glass. Maybe the window for the rain sense wipers was messed up but I don't know.

Check with your insurance company if you have to replace the windshield whether or not they'll even cover OEM. Hopefully, it can be fixed and you won't have to deal with the insurance company's bureaucracy in the first place.
Old 11-10-09, 04:40 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MichaelPea
I just had a new Lexus windshield installed in my '08 GS last month. It was $1607 but the insurance covered all but the deductible. Fortunately, the car is only a year old and they'll cover for OEM glass for a couple years. After that, it's aftermarket unless you pay for the OEM glass. This time around, I insisted on OEM glass because last time (this last winter) I allowed them to replace with aftermarket glass. It worked well since I stayed dry but the wipers didn't respond correctly with the afermarket glass. Maybe the window for the rain sense wipers was messed up but I don't know.

Check with your insurance company if you have to replace the windshield whether or not they'll even cover OEM. Hopefully, it can be fixed and you won't have to deal with the insurance company's bureaucracy in the first place.
Great advice, over the years we've had numerous CL members question whether OEM glass is the same as after market, they learned the hard way
Old 11-10-09, 05:30 AM
Lexzam
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First thing to do is to cover the crack with tape so that dust cannot get into it.

An inch long may or may not be repairable with resin which is put into the crack under pressure. The problem is basically that the crack may leave internal tension to the glass, which may lead it spreading--- even across the whole windshield. Temperature difference on the outside and the inside of the glass increase the tension and may initiate the crack to spread (either in winter climate, when the glass is very cold and heat is coming directly to it from the ventilation or the opposite, though much less likely, in extreme hot weather conditions air con blowing cold air into it).
Old 11-10-09, 07:21 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by lims407
stoppin by dealership tomorrow since i gotta do oil change anyway....really hope i dont have to replace whole windshield...check the Safelite online and their reviews horrific bad customer service and bad results...anybody know good company i can look for??
When you go into the dealer tomorrow, ask the service manager who is their glass installer and contact them directly yourself. OEM is softer and will chip easier, ask the window installer to put in PPG or Pinkington glass, if you want to spent more, they can order the oem glass as well. BTW, do not use safelite, their glass is low quality and they dont replace the trims and the seals rights.
Old 11-10-09, 05:22 PM
LIMS407
Pole Position

damn it i gotta change the whole front windshield for one inch crack...insurance said they will replace with oem windshield since car is pretty new and it was my first time..still its lot of work for one inch crack...btw shout out to statefarm!!!!!
Old 11-10-09, 05:56 PM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by lims407
damn it i gotta change the whole front windshield for one inch crack...insurance said they will replace with oem windshield since car is pretty new and it was my first time..still its lot of work for one inch crack...btw shout out to statefarm!!!!!
I have state farm also, I think I have to go thru a 3rd party for glass claims, is that right?
Old 11-11-09, 09:04 AM
RooRa
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if a quarter covers it completely, then you shoul dbe able to fill it with resin for like 60$ and be fine

Quick Reply: cracked front Windshield