GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Question about voiding warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-09, 04:45 AM
ItsChris
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about voiding warranty?

Hey guys, So.. I finally picked up a 06 GS300 GFM/Black Interior with 35k miles w/ the factory warranty still for 3 years. I've been itching to mod the car, but what is holding me back is the factory warranty. This is my first "new" car with a warranty, and if I can persuade the wife that me modding it will not void the warranty, of the car, then its a green light.

I just wanted to know this:

Basically as I read the warranty, it covers everything except brake pads, oil changes etc..your basic wear and tear stuff it does not cover.

I was thinking of buying the F-sport springs and some F-sport parts, because I thought that this was the only way to mod the car without voiding the warranty of the car.

MY question is this:

Say, If I buy an HKS Racing Suction kit with Tanabe exhaust, does that void the whole warranty of the car?

My option if I do that, is to remove the parts on and off the car when I bring it to the dealer, so they wont suspect the car has been modded and void my warranty if something comes up.

But if it saves me the time, hassle, and stress of removing the parts, then I guess I'm better off buying the F-sport parts because the warranty will be covered.

Just thinking, sorry for the babbling. Just newbie at new cars, Ive always bought older used cars, so never had a problem modding them because they didnt have warranties. I just dont want to void the whole warranty on the car and be screwed, Thanks again !

chris
Old 11-12-09, 05:53 AM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The general rule is that they will not fix anything that breaks as a direct result of either your unapproved modification or abuse.

So, if you change the suspension and your engine starts leaking oil - unrelated - and they should fix it. If you change part of suspension and then your wheel bearings blow then they have something to deny you over. Sometimes they will go to great lengths to find some obscure link between a modification and the problem.
Old 11-12-09, 05:58 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

you might want to double check your warranty. the factory warranty is 4yr/50k. you may be pasted your 4yrs already, unless your talking about an extended warranty.

as far as parts, if you do a suspension and exhaust and something breaks thats related to your suspension, they will not warranty it, even if its a stock part you never touched. they will say your springs were a result of it breaking.
Old 11-12-09, 06:35 AM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
you might want to double check your warranty. the factory warranty is 4yr/50k. you may be pasted your 4yrs already, unless your talking about an extended warranty.

as far as parts, if you do a suspension and exhaust and something breaks thats related to your suspension, they will not warranty it, even if its a stock part you never touched. they will say your springs were a result of it breaking.
That's the comprehensive warranty, shouldn't powertrain be good for a good while after that?
Old 11-12-09, 06:36 AM
ItsChris
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

aaaa...hmm, gotcha. The warranty I got from the dealer, was a 3 year/100k mile. I bought the car Certified preowned from the Lexus dealer. I guess it's the certified preowned warranty.

hmm..the great debate lol...maybe ill put the f-sport springs by the dear, then do the other mods like the intake pipe and exhaust on my own...hmm..any suggestions?
Old 11-12-09, 07:21 AM
twylie
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

technically, the manufacturer has to prove that the aftermarket parts caused the other parts to fail, which is tough, but is often not worth the fight, $-wise.

http://www.impalaclub.com/naisso/magmoss.htm

Can an automotive dealership void your warranty?

Understanding the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975.

Nearly everyone has heard about someone who has taken a vehicle that has been modified with aftermarket parts to a dealer for warranty service, only to have the dealer refuse to cover the defective items. The dealer usually states that because of the aftermarket parts the warranty is void, without even attempting to determine whether the aftermarket part caused the problem.

This is illegal.

Vehicle manufacturers are not allowed to void the vehicle warranty just because aftermarket parts are on the vehicle. To better understand this problem it is best to know the differences between the two types of new car warranties and the two types of emission warranties.

When a vehicle is purchased new and the owner is protected against the faults that may occur by an expressed warranty - an offer by the manufacturer to assume the responsibility for problems with predetermined parts during a stated period of time. Beyond the expressed warranty, the vehicle manufacturer is often held responsible for further implied warranties. These state that a manufactured product should meet certain standards. However, in both cases, the mere presence of aftermarket parts doesn't void the warranty.

There are also two emission warranties (defect and performance) required under the clean air act. The defect warranty requires the manufacturer to produce a vehicle which, at the time of sale, is free of defects that would cause it to not meet the required emission levels for it's useful life as defined in the law. The performance warranty implies a vehicle must maintain certain levels of emission performance over it's useful life. If the vehicle fails to meet the performance warranty requirements, the manufacturer must make repairs at no cost to the owner, even if an aftermarket part is directly responsible for a warranty claim, the vehicle manufacturer cannot void the performance warranty. This protection is the result of a parts self - certification program developed by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA).

In cases where such a failed aftermarket part is responsible for a warranty claim, the vehicle manufacturer must arrange a settlement with the consumer, but by law the new - vehicle warranty is not voided.

Overall, the laws governing warranties are very clear. The only time a new vehicle warranty can be voided is if an aftermarket part has been installed and it can be proven that it is responsible for an emission warranty claim. However, a vehicle manufacturer or dealership cannot void a warranty simply because an an aftermarket equipment has been installed on a vehicle.

If a dealership denies a warranty claim and you think the claim falls under the rules explained above concerning the clean air act (such as an emission part failure), obtain a written explanation of the dealers refusal. Then follow the steps outlined in the owners manual. However, if this fails, then phone your complaint in to the EPA at (202) 233-9040 or (202) 326-9100.

If a dealer denies a warranty claim involving an implied or expressed new car warranty and you would like help, you can contact the Federal Trade Commission (FTC). The FTC works for the consumer to prevent fraudulent, deceptive and unfair business practices in the marketplace and to provide information to help consumers spot, stop and avoid them. To file a complaint, you can call toll-free, 1-877-FTC-HELP (1-877-382-4357), or use the online complaint form. The FTC enters Internet, telemarketing, and other fraud-related complaints into Consumer Sentinel, a secure, online database available to hundreds of civil and criminal law enforcement agencies worldwide.
I wouldn't worry about slight (1" or so ) lowering springs unless you have an AWD car. Then, you've opened up the possibility that the lowered stance created issues in the drivetrain. The fact that many AWD owners have vibration issues indicates to me the factory U and slip joints are operating outside of their spec, causing the vibrations.
Old 11-12-09, 06:58 PM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

you might be able to get away by having f sport products installed because its part of lexus

yes they would have to prove it but trust me if they really want to find a way to void it, they will.