GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Bluetooth Music Streaming?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-09, 05:42 PM
CAK 500
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by irom124
Here is a link to an adapter I'm considering: http://www.scosche.com/products/sfID...productID/1680

It's compatible with GS and should integrate with navigation and steering wheel controls.
They also have a custom wire harness that is just plug and play, but I'm not sure if this would work with ML.

I also don't know if we'd also have to use it for calls(would need to install their mic) or if we can just use it for music and keep factory interface for calls.

Newegg has it for $255(interface and harness) with free shipping.
Interesting product. Isn't this is for phone calls only though? I see no mention of music.
Old 11-21-09, 06:02 PM
CAK 500
Advanced

Originally Posted by mysteryan
FYI bluetooth fidelity isn't all that great...
I've heard that complaint before, but I really can't tell any difference between my BT headphones and similarly priced wired ones. If you're an audiophile though, it might be an issue.

I'm going to check this out on the 2010's next time I'm at the dealership.
Old 11-21-09, 07:36 PM
irom124
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CAK 500
Interesting product. Isn't this is for phone calls only though? I see no mention of music.
Here is what it says right on the page I provided a link to:
"Compatible with A2DP streaming audio devices

Note: AVRCP and A2DP are not fully supported with the iPhone and iPod touch. Scosche will provide our TZ4 Bluetooth transmitter free of charge for anyone using these devices."

A2DP is for streaming music and AVRCP is to control the device.

Here is a link to a press release that talks more about the features.
http://www.scosche.com/press.room/?year=2008&newsID=373

"BlueFusion is designed to interface Bluetooth hands-free and streaming audio (A2DP) to a consumer's factory radio. Seamlessly integrating into the factory stereo,..."
Old 11-21-09, 11:15 PM
Arantant
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

This device looks pretty interesting. Would be awesome if it worked (and if it wasnt so expensive). How does the price compare to an ipod kit? Are they comparable?
Old 11-22-09, 07:44 AM
CAK 500
Advanced

Note: AVRCP and A2DP are not fully supported with the iPhone and iPod touch. Scosche will provide our TZ4 Bluetooth transmitter free of charge for anyone using these devices."

"BlueFusion is designed to interface Bluetooth hands-free and streaming audio (A2DP) to a consumer's factory radio. Seamlessly integrating into the factory stereo,..."
You're right, it definitely does streaming audio. Scosche sounds pretty reputable too. Nice find!

Ideally, I'd still prefer some sort of software/firmware update or mod in our existing BT hardware, but if thats not possible, this looks like a very good alternative. I too wonder if we could keep our OEM interface and microphone though.
Old 11-22-09, 12:57 PM
kobi2002
Pole Position

Actually the iphone 3gs has the A2DP. I have bluetooth headsets I use with it all the time. The new acura tl supports this and I tried it. only streaming music. to get full control of the iphone you need the cable.
Old 11-22-09, 03:17 PM
irom124
Driver School Candidate

Here is another product that may work. http://direct.motorola.com/ens/carkits/learn-T605.html

Custom harness is available here: http://www.installer.com/cars/by_car.php?carid=6561

The Scosche product seems to be better integrated(can see information on car screen, completely hidden from view, can control from the steering wheel, automatically switches to that input when a phone call is received, etc.).

The Motorola adapter is cheaper, but the wire harness for it is really expensive for some reason.
Old 06-19-10, 08:20 PM
fatLEXUS
Driver School Candidate

dang no hack for it? i drove my friends 2010 lexus hybrid and he had the bluetooth music stream. i got excited and tried on my 2006 gs. NO LUCK : (
Old 06-19-10, 08:41 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

A few cxomments.

1) Bluetooth A2DP streaming works very well. I have used it in the 2010 cars and I thought the sound quality was very good. At least as good as the Vaistech SL2i adaptors we use. In fact i thought it was better.

2) You can't control through your nav. You need to control the tracks on your phone. It is basically like a wireless digital aux connection.

3) There is only one vendor which has a solution and that is Dice Mediabridge with bluetooth. The Lexus version with bluetooth is not out yet but they are taking orders, its already listed by Amazon and its expected to be out in less than a month. The Scosche device above is for phone as far as I can tell. The Dice Mediabridge is nice because it supports conventional iPod integration, connecting a USB drive/stick, as well as Bluetooth A2DP streaming.

http://www.diceelectronics.com/media-bridge-info

I'm considering switching my Vais unit to the Dice unit but am waiting for release and some reviews. The reviews by BMW owners are very positive, but the Lexus head unit is known to be less amenable to mods.

Last edited by *Batman*; 06-19-10 at 08:46 PM.
Old 06-19-10, 08:47 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

More on Dice Mediabridge for Lexus

iPod | Get Integrated
Works with the car's factory stereo to let you browse music by song, artist, album or playlist. Use your car's steering wheel controls, radio or the iPod the control the music. Song and artist titles are displayed directly on the radio's display.

USB | Get Connected
Supports thumb drives, memory cards with USB memory card readers and other simple storage devices with USB connection. Also works with and charges USB capable cell phones. Folder names and songs appear right on the screen of your radio!(Some USB devices may need additional power source. Refer to device's documentation for details. Only FAT16 and FAT32 file systems supported. USB hard drives and password protected devices are not supported. USB hubs are not supported. Compatible music formats: MP3,WMA, AAC(M4A).DRM encryption not supported.)

Bluetooth | Be hands-free
With the Bluetooth version you get a fully integrated hands-free cell phone kit for your vehicle. Hear calls through your car's speakers and talk back through the included microphone. Caller ID is announced and also displayed on the screen of your radio.
The Bluetooth feature can also be used to stream music from A2DP capable Bluetooth devices. Artist and song are displayed on the radio and the songs can be browsed using the buttons on the car's radio.

Sirius CONNECT | Satellite Radio Ready
Ready to connect any Sirius CONNECT device adding satellite radio functionality to your car's radio. The station, song and artist are shown on the radio's display.

Compatible iPod models:iPod 5th Generation Video, iPod 1st Generation nano, iPod 2nd Generation nano, iPod 3rd Generation nano, iPod Touch 1st generation, iPod Classic 80/160/120 GB, iPod 4th Generation nano, iPod Touch 2nd Generation
http://diceelectronics.com/mediabridge-for-lexus.html
Old 06-20-10, 02:40 PM
CAK 500
Advanced

Nice find, bats. Sounds very promising and not terribly expensive. I like the idea of having BT and USB in a single device too. If the return policy is agreeable, I'll probably go ahead and be a guinea pig. Guess this means my cassette adapter might be obsolete soon. Just when I found a purpose for the cassette deck too.
Old 06-20-10, 02:45 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by CAK 500
Nice find, bats. Sounds very promising and not terribly expensive. I like the idea of having BT and USB in a single device too. If the return policy is agreeable, I'll probably go ahead and be a guinea pig. Guess this means my cassette adapter might be obsolete soon. Just when I found a purpose for the cassette deck too.
Let me know how it goes.

I'm thinking of upgrading to this Dice unit as well. The problem with the Vais units is that its an analog connection. The Mediabridge is digital all the way. I think I would use my nano hooked to the mediabridge permanently, and then use the bluetooth connection
Old 06-20-10, 05:26 PM
vladbph
Pole Position

There is way less expensive solution, which is available for few years now
http://europe.nokia.com/find-product...reaming-ad-42w This is not 100% plug and play it terms of cables - you need nokia car charger and audio input to your unit. I'm using this device for my home stereo and it works great. The buity of it is that you can hide it under the dash somewhere and dont need to expose any switches...
Old 06-20-10, 07:37 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by vladbph
There is way less expensive solution, which is available for few years now
http://europe.nokia.com/find-product...reaming-ad-42w This is not 100% plug and play it terms of cables - you need nokia car charger and audio input to your unit. I'm using this device for my home stereo and it works great. The buity of it is that you can hide it under the dash somewhere and dont need to expose any switches...
Yeah but what you Are describing us plugging a Bluetooth module to the aux input. It will be analog connection and the sound quality won't be the same. Plus you won't get head unit intgration - name of song and artist, ability to use steering controls to pause, play and skip.
Old 06-20-10, 09:58 PM
vladbph
Pole Position

Originally Posted by batman75
Yeah but what you Are describing us plugging a Bluetooth module to the aux input. It will be analog connection and the sound quality won't be the same. Plus you won't get head unit intgration - name of song and artist, ability to use steering controls to pause, play and skip.
True, no head unit integration. As to analog signal that is ok, b/c SBS codec used in most of such a.gateway degrades the quality anyway. Not sure if someone released gateways supporting mp3 transfers, not to mention phones should support that as well...

Quick Reply: Bluetooth Music Streaming?