GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Fuel pump dead at 30K miles

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-09, 02:57 PM
KayGee
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Broken valve spring at 30K miles

Car died 200 miles from home. Lexus Roadside Service call AAA and had a flat bed pick me up 1.5 hours later and tow me the last 80 miles. The part won't be received and installed until Monday. No Lexus loaners available so they gave me a Highlander from Enterprise Rental. I'll have to drive my family home on Friday and come back on Monday to pick it up. I'm trying to look at the bright side but with the recalls and now that it has left me stranded on the side of the highway, I'm loosing my faith in Lexus.

Last UPDATE: - They found a bent valve intake from a dislodged rocker. They disassembled the engine to replace the bent valve, intake cam, all of the valves springs were replaced with new style valve springs, spring holder and keepers. They also have a line item on the receipt for head work. Including a rental for 2 weeks, 80 mile tow to the dealer and 300 mile tow back to me. Over $5000 in warranty work.

I called my local service manager and asked if they could return the rental and bring my car back to me and he was able to arrange it for me. I was really concerned about jumping right back on the interstate when I picked it up and apparently Lexus didn't think that was a good idea either so they paid for delivery back to my local dealer for free.

Overall I couldn't be more pleased with the level of customer service that I have received from both dealers. The amount of engine work that has been done makes me doubt if this car will last the 8 years and 140K miles that my second generation GS did. I really need it to last 6 more years to give my daughter time to finish high school and college so for now I have my fingers crossed.

Last edited by KayGee; 12-13-09 at 08:36 AM.
Old 11-25-09, 04:25 PM
CAK 500
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear about the breakdown. There's never a convenient time, but away from home, during a holiday and with family ... can't be much worse.

I would assume that the holiday is at least partially to blame for the part delay, and maybe the lack of loaners too. Bright side ... well, it's definitely good that they put the car on a flat bed, and at least they didn't try and put you and the family in a Prius or something! I'd be looking for someone to strangle too, but it sounds like they're doing their jobs.

I also have an '07 GS350, but have had no issues with the fuel pump. Just the irritating brake squeal (taken care of effectively with the new ceramic pads) and the infamous, albeit infrequent, dash rattle.

Other than the fuel rail recall (affecting some '05-'07's, mine not among them), I don't think there have been any others.

Where did you break down, and what dealership is the car at?
Old 11-25-09, 05:40 PM
TriniGS
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dude, sorry to hear that. Did it give any signs before it eventually stalled.
Old 11-25-09, 06:40 PM
KayGee
Instructor

It is at Lexus of Mobile (Alabama). There were no indications until my daughter said "Daddy, you're going 100". I looked down and all of a sudden all of my dash lights lit up and it started making a roaring sound when I pressed the accelerator. I coasted to the shoulder and it died. I called AAA and they were having a hard time finding a flat bed that had enough room for my family of 3.

I called my local service advisor and he gave me the number of the Mobile dealer and the Lexus Roadside Service number. Lexus Roadside Service is also AAA they just have their own operators to answer the calls and to follow up. They were able to find a tow truck that we could all fit in with no problem. I guess that I was lucky that it happened in the early afternoon so that they could take it to the dealer and they could determine what was wrong right away. The bad thing is that the part is in the warehouse in Jacksonville Flordia and will be closed Thursday and Friday.

I'm going to have to drive my family home on Friday and come back on Monday to pick it up and drive home on Tuesday morning. It will be tough to take 2 more days off next week since I have been off this whole week and I have several meetings scheduled but I don't have a choice. In retrospect, it could have been a lot worse.

My father in law who only buys Cadillacs is having a grand old time making fun of my foreign piece of crap.
Old 11-25-09, 06:49 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Well, crap happens. As far as your father-in-law, ask him if he knows of any car of any brand that never-ever-ever breaks?
Old 11-25-09, 07:43 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I doubt the Cadilac dealership would have done as much as Lexus has done for you.
You don't have to pay for the long tow. Unfortunately, the parts depot is closed for the holidays. Eveyone's parts depots are closed for the holiday. If it were a Chevy, Ford, Infinity, MB or BMW, you probably would be looking at the same delay. You have a loaner vehicle that you are not paying for. Granted not a Lexus but still a decent vehicle that fits your family. Look on the bright side, you could have gotten a Geo Storm or Daywo Eleganza.

Talk to the dealership where the car is being serviced. Ask them if they have drop off service. The Lexus dealership near me (Herb Chambers Lexus) has a drop off/pick up service vehicles covered under warranty. When the car is done, they bring it right to your door and pick up the loaner/rental vehicle. Save the customers from having to make the long drive. Doesn't hurt to ask. I have never used this service, but my aunt who lives 100 miles from the dealership does and loves it.

steviej
Old 11-26-09, 06:15 AM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

**** happens with any car. As much as I like to believe that Lexus has some sort of magical protection against failures, they are still just cars made up of thousands of parts.

Before I bought my GS, I trolled lexus forums as normally auto forums are rife with people complaining about just about every possible thing that could go wrong with a car but I found VERY LITTLE being complained about. The GS forums are pretty astonishingly quiet in regards to the G3s even though they have been around for 4+ years now.

Just have it fixed, and look at the silver lining that you are getting a brand new fuel pump that will likely outlast everybody elses now! When I near the end of car warranties I almost hope that a few major components break down so that a few expensive things get refreshed.
Old 11-26-09, 07:11 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Geez, one issue and you're throwing Lexus under the bus?
Just try owning a Jag, Benz or Audi.
Cars are machines with hundreds of working parts. Something could fail. You'll find less frquency of failure with Lexus. We're on our 3rd and 4th Lexus cars and my experience as been good. I read a lot of cars mags and from what I can see, we have one of if not the best reliable luxury car on the market....but it is still a machine that is capable of a random failure.

Besides, how can you be sure something you did didn't contribute to the problem? Are you using the right gas? Use cheap gas? Have you serviced the car properly? Any additives?
Old 11-26-09, 08:10 AM
CAK 500
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KayGee
It is at Lexus of Mobile (Alabama). There were no indications until my daughter said "Daddy, you're going 100". I looked down and all of a sudden all of my dash lights lit up and it started making a roaring sound when I pressed the accelerator. I coasted to the shoulder and it died. I called AAA and they were having a hard time finding a flat bed that had enough room for my family of 3.

I called my local service advisor and he gave me the number of the Mobile dealer and the Lexus Roadside Service number. Lexus Roadside Service is also AAA they just have their own operators to answer the calls and to follow up. They were able to find a tow truck that we could all fit in with no problem. I guess that I was lucky that it happened in the early afternoon so that they could take it to the dealer and they could determine what was wrong right away. The bad thing is that the part is in the warehouse in Jacksonville Flordia and will be closed Thursday and Friday.

I'm going to have to drive my family home on Friday and come back on Monday to pick it up and drive home on Tuesday morning. It will be tough to take 2 more days off next week since I have been off this whole week and I have several meetings scheduled but I don't have a choice. In retrospect, it could have been a lot worse.

My father in law who only buys Cadillacs is having a grand old time making fun of my foreign piece of crap.
Be sure to reassure him at the dinner table today about GM's bankruptcy. He needn't worry about getting parts or service for his car for a while probably. Not like he has a Hummer, Oldsmobile, Pontiac, or Saturn or something.
Old 11-26-09, 01:16 PM
KayGee
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ice350
Geez, one issue and you're throwing Lexus under the bus?
Just try owning a Jag, Benz or Audi.
Cars are machines with hundreds of working parts. Something could fail. You'll find less frquency of failure with Lexus. We're on our 3rd and 4th Lexus cars and my experience as been good. I read a lot of cars mags and from what I can see, we have one of if not the best reliable luxury car on the market....but it is still a machine that is capable of a random failure.

Besides, how can you be sure something you did didn't contribute to the problem? Are you using the right gas? Use cheap gas? Have you serviced the car properly? Any additives?
I know that you are right but you trying standing on the side of the interstate with your family for a couple of hours and see how you feel.

Its not enough to make me change brands, especially given the high level of customer service that I've received since 1999. I NEVER use cheap gas. ALWAYS use premium and ALWAYS service my vehicles at the dealer no matter how much people on the forum say that I'm stupid for doing so.
Old 11-26-09, 11:22 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

If there is anything owning a Lexus has taught me is that it is a great car but there is no perfect car. I thought my GS would be a 100% trouble free car but that has not been the case. In the end with Lexus you just get the least possible problems ( most of the time).
Old 11-27-09, 08:44 AM
LIMS407
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

wow this is really surprising...it sucks even more happened in holiday...
Old 12-12-09, 07:18 PM
KayGee
Instructor

Bump for last update.
Old 12-14-09, 06:32 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

The damage could have easily be much worst, I am glad Lexus took care of you.
Old 12-15-09, 04:45 AM
TriniGS
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow, you are very fortunate all this happened while still under warranty. I also want to keep this car for a couple years but it seems like I should be looking into extended warranties if I want to keep it.

Quick Reply: Fuel pump dead at 30K miles