GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Has your Lexus changed your driving style ????

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-09, 11:42 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I complained at how it handled compared to my tuned G35 ( fully tuned suspension set up for track) but I never complained about the high speed stability. I am very happy now that I have replaced the stocks lexus set up to a fully adjustable Tein coilover setup with EDFC. Now I can have the Lexus floaty feel or a G35esque (stock ) feel when set to full hard
Old 12-23-09, 07:32 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I complained at how it handled compared to my tuned G35 ( fully tuned suspension set up for track) but I never complained about the high speed stability. I am very happy now that I have replaced the stocks lexus set up to a fully adjustable Tein coilover setup with EDFC. Now I can have the Lexus floaty feel or a G35esque (stock ) feel when set to full hard
If I remember right, you said you try the same move on the highway with the GS as you usually do with your BMW 7 series and you almost kill yourself.

I am glad you are enjoying your GS. If I live in the warm climate, I might have less problem with my GS and may have enjoy it more.
Old 12-23-09, 08:51 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
If I remember right, you said you try the same move on the highway with the GS as you usually do with your BMW 7 series and you almost kill yourself.

I am glad you are enjoying your GS. If I live in the warm climate, I might have less problem with my GS and may have enjoy it more.
lol.......
Old 12-23-09, 05:51 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

My GS at over 120 mph holds the road because I bothered to get the EDFC when getting my coilover set up. Once I am pushing high speeds I usually go to a much much firmer setting. I could go from 14 to 2 on the EDFC. It turns the car into a high speed cruiser with great stability
Old 12-28-09, 08:39 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

My GS at over 120 mph holds the road because I bothered to get the EDFC when getting my coilover set up. Once I am pushing high speeds I usually go to a much much firmer setting. I could go from 14 to 2 on the EDFC. It turns the car into a high speed cruiser with great stability
I am very happy for you now that you have mod your GS to your liking. IMO, the GS should have handle like that to start with.
Old 12-28-09, 09:24 AM
hughh
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In '04 we went to Munich and picked-up a BMW 330. We drove it for a week before shipping it and on the autobahn I was able to confidently hold it at around 125 mph when traffic permitted it.

This was straight, out of the box. I am over 70 yrs. old and have owned cars since the 50's. That Bimmer had by far the best straight line stability and least amount of wind noise of any of my other cars. I miss it, but my wife said it had to go...
Old 12-28-09, 10:57 AM
Bavaria
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I never had any difficulty driving my completely stock GS up to 110 mph (that's when I quit, not the car).
However, I have a BMW 328 Coupe on order, and feel I'll have the best of both worlds when I have both cars to drive, depending on circumstances, and my mood.
Old 12-28-09, 11:12 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

The GS stock will do 110 mph with no problem, just make sure you dont change lanes fast
Old 12-28-09, 12:45 PM
Bavaria
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Actually I was cruising I-8 between Yuma and Phoenix, open road, little traffic, and could see for miles. The car was solid as a rock, to include changing lanes to pass.
Old 12-28-09, 04:13 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My stock GS460 with suspension in Sport mode and APSS on is more confident at 120mph than my old 330Ci.

The reason most people don't experience this is because they are running touring tires. You have to compare apples-to-apples. Most BMW 3 series are running on max performance summer tires. Only tires like the Michelin PilotSport 2 or the Bridgestone RE-11 will give you consumate grip and handling at speed.

I have taken my car into upper tier autobahn speeds in moderate traffic conditions which required lane changing to sustain this speed and the car handled perfectly. I credit the sport suspension, the APSS and the Michelin PilotSport PS2 tires.

When I first took deliver of the car with Bridgestone touring tires, the handling at speed was abyssmal. It's not the car.
Old 12-28-09, 05:30 PM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I gonna install my touring tires next month (DWS). Lets see if I can do 120mph and feel as confident as my current ContiProcontact..

It suppose to be softer, quieter, and drive better in snow.
Old 12-28-09, 11:37 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

The 3GS with the thicker sway bars and the Tein coilovers set to almost max stiffness is an awesome cruiser. Equal to any german car
Old 12-29-09, 06:22 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

The 3GS with the thicker sway bars and the Tein coilovers set to almost max stiffness is an awesome cruiser. Equal to any german car
You are comparing a modifed car with one thats all stock. The APSS is a nice option, too bad its not on all the GS.
Old 12-30-09, 10:26 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I have to because a stock Lexus will not give you Autobahn bomber stability at over 120 mph. Its a bit floaty in stock trim. At that speed you want to feel that the car will not be tossed around by the roads bumps and grooves. EDFC is awesome by the way
Old 12-31-09, 07:06 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

I have to because a stock Lexus will not give you Autobahn bomber stability at over 120 mph. Its a bit floaty in stock trim. At that speed you want to feel that the car will not be tossed around by the roads bumps and grooves. EDFC is awesome by the way
Well, that is the root of the GS' problem. A lot of people like to leave their car stock and the GS just doesnt perform well enough stock. You can compensate that with stiffer suspensions, but the chassis on the GS is still not rigid enough, it just doesnt have the same feeling as a BMW or an Audi.

Quick Reply: Has your Lexus changed your driving style ????